SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > 75th Ranger Regiment

Old 29 April 2020, 18:13
Been There Done That

Thanks for all the links & photos. I'll tell you what though...

1. Definitely not the WWII rifle bags.

2. The stamped pistol/personnel bags are very similar, but not quite the same thing. I'd never seen those before, just the little canvas drawstring personal effects bags from the same source. Those got used as admin shaving/toiletry kits back in the day.

I still have one of those out in my garage. Have used it to store padlocks/keys for about the last 25 years. Very sturdy.

3. The bags I used were a bit narrower than the mortuary affairs bags and had no stamping. The bag was just wide enough to easily accept a 6" wide Ranger Handbook & small notepad stuffed into the bottom. Then all the excess was rolled around the package until you had several layers consecutively wrapped around the contents. Pretty water/air tight.

4. I think I may have one buried out in a footlocker of old gear; I'll have to find it. Haven't seen it in years.

5. At 2/75, we were using ziplock bags for the field back in the late 70s. They've been sold in grocery stores since the late 60s.

6. IIRC, going through places like Florida Phase, I carried my Ranger Handbook in my left thigh cargo pocket, wrapped up in that green bag, with an outer cover of a ziplock for insurance. Never got wet, even when wading through chin deep swamp.

I have modern small drybags & waterproof cases, but the advantage to those old bags was that they wrapped up that handbook tightly and slid more easily in/out of a cargo pocket. In always rainy Rainier Training Area up at Ft Lewis... they were ideal.

--------------

One thing I've learned in life is to obtain multiple examples of anything that is both durable and works exceptionally well. By the time you need another... the manufacturer will have quit making them:

Things like the old 2-piece plastic cigarette pack covers (with an integral pocket for a BIC lighter). They made for great mini-survival kit containers or boo-boo med kits, even if you didn't smoke.

Green Jungle boots (although McRae offers a retro design once again).

The old dark green nylon "GP" nets that were useful as fishing nets, hammocks, or personal position/rucksack/hootch camouflage.

Old school stuff that, once ubiquitous & taken for granted, disappears from face of the earth.
Old 29 April 2020, 18:17
Shakin' the bush Boss

All those were replaced by the reflective belt.
Old 29 April 2020, 18:55
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
All those were replaced by the reflective belt.
I keep my reflective belt concealed so I don't get accused of brandishing.
Old 29 April 2020, 20:23
Been There Done That

30 years from now, when you decide to relive your past... you won't be able to lay hands on an original reflective belt.

And just like bell bottoms and stress cards, everything old becomes new again. You'll be kicking yourself for tossing them decades before.

Buy spares right now.
Old 29 April 2020, 20:24
Shakin' the bush Boss

I've been retired 14 years and I still wear mine every day. Stay alert, stay alive.
Old 29 April 2020, 22:29
Been There Done That

No slave to fashion, but he knows what the ladies like. Besides... Chicks dig 'em.

Our new posting rules