SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > 75th Ranger Regiment

Old 21 April 2020, 22:11
Administrator

Ranger School Article

This is one of the better pieces I have read on getting the tab. Written by a Ranger-qualified guy that went back to write about the course ten years after graduating. Took me back. Enjoy!

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 21 April 2020, 23:14
Been There Done That

Same generation as you. Sounds like it still sucks. Oh, the stories.

Great quote from the article: An RI says, “That’s why I carry a gun. The average human is only three missed meals away from becoming a savage.”
Old 21 April 2020, 23:52
Hard to Kill

The Suck, never fails to deliver.
Old 22 April 2020, 07:28
Been There Done That

I agree with this quote from the article, as I think it applies to the majority of training in the Army.

Quote:
Is Ranger School primarily supposed to be a suckfest, or are we trying to teach something? Because one comes at the expense of the other.”
Old 22 April 2020, 08:09
Been There Done That

Good article. Ranger school was a suck fest, and I learned much at the same time. The skills and leadership I learned in Ranger school were used multiple times over the next 25 years.

To me personally, my Ranger tab mean much more to me than my SF Tab. Ranger School (combined with RIP and PreRanger) was much more challenging than SFAS/SFQC. The later was more academic.

I thought Mountain Phase was so worthwhile I went through that phase twice.

Wish they would have kept Desert phase - DPG was a Trip.
Old 22 April 2020, 09:20
Hard to Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoZeroSix View Post
I agree with this quote from the article, as I think it applies to the majority of training in the Army.
Which coincides with your pampered lifestyle....

Sometimes learning is about ones self and not necessarily a new task.
Old 22 April 2020, 10:29
Been There Done That

Myself and several other Rangers in SFAS, “this is not bad at all, getting three MREs a day and 3-4 hours sleep a night - basically going on a paid backpacking trip compared to Ranger School.”
Old 22 April 2020, 10:44
Been There Done That

I guess it depends on where you’re coming from and what you bring to Day 1. I still contend that Pre-RGR was the hardest phase of school for us, later fatigue notwithstanding.

I think the greatest lessons there are internal ones, but I did pick up some field craft. Some of the regular scout platoon types had a broader knowledge base than we exercised in BN.

I always contended that school was a great teacher of physical limitations and capabilities, and SERE your mental.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Last edited by KW Driver; 22 April 2020 at 10:51.
Old 22 April 2020, 15:31
Been There Done That

The suck was a break from the daily scunion on the hallway of 2 Charlie. Realized lots of people suck and I was stronger than I thought.

Yeah and then this -"during Swamp Phase, an avoidable tragedy, marked by numerous leadership lapses, that continues to cast a pall over Ranger training."

Fuck the author and his opinion on what was avoidable, and whose leadership lapsed.
Old 22 April 2020, 16:19
Been There Done That

Ranger J - I was North of you in the Mtns same time frame. Knew some of those Studs and Cadre. Same fucking thing could have easily happened on my journey through those fucking chilly swamps. Was the most f’d up patrol during my class. Many here probably.

That’s all I got to say about that.
Old 22 April 2020, 16:38
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJurena View Post
The suck was a break from the daily scunion on the hallway of 2 Charlie. Realized lots of people suck and I was stronger than I thought.

Different platoon but same sentiment

My leaders, SPCs - Platoon Sgts, made sure we were prepared for Ranger School. Probably 95+% percent of the knowledge I needed to pass Ranger School was given to me by those leaders. I thought it was the same throughout the Regiment as the Regiments failure rate at Ranger School was very low.
Old 22 April 2020, 17:16
Been There Done That

I was an e3 private in A co. First Batt. when my section leader Sgt. Mike Hall called me down to the little room at the top of the stairs where off post Plt. members kept there D bags and Squad and Team leaders held their meetings. It was a Thursday IIRC, he told me I neede to cancel any plans for the weekend, take the rest of the day and Friday squaring my shit away and gave me a packing list for RS, he said that due to an injury or sickness (cant recall) A co. had an empty slot and I was to be there Sunday and I had better not fuck this up as he had told the CO I was ready even though I had not been to Pre-Ranger. So I jumped through my ass, got ready, secured my room, was handed fresh cut orders, introduced to a couple of FO's who had just finished Pre-Ranger and told to ride with them and they would fill me in on the way. It sucked, it was a white thread class, but I made it through sheer luck and a fear of letting Sgt. Hall down.

(just looked up paperwork I was actually an e2 , made e3 during mountains )
RIP 4-79 (HG)
class 4-80

Last edited by Terry Welshan; 22 April 2020 at 17:23.
Old 22 April 2020, 19:05
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Welshan View Post
I was an e3 private in A co. First Batt. when my section leader Sgt. Mike Hall called me down to the little room at the top of the stairs where off post Plt. members kept there D bags and Squad and Team leaders held their meetings. It was a Thursday IIRC, he told me I neede to cancel any plans for the weekend, take the rest of the day and Friday squaring my shit away and gave me a packing list for RS, he said that due to an injury or sickness (cant recall) A co. had an empty slot and I was to be there Sunday and I had better not fuck this up as he had told the CO I was ready even though I had not been to Pre-Ranger. So I jumped through my ass, got ready, secured my room, was handed fresh cut orders, introduced to a couple of FO's who had just finished Pre-Ranger and told to ride with them and they would fill me in on the way. It sucked, it was a white thread class, but I made it through sheer luck and a fear of letting Sgt. Hall down.

(just looked up paperwork I was actually an e2 , made e3 during mountains )
Here.....hold my beer.

I was an E-3 clerk from S-1. White thread class also - thank God for Pre Ranger.....and SSG Sean Walker from HHC who squares me away in a week prior to going with some classes.
Old 22 April 2020, 22:09
Been There Done That

It wasn't so much of what I learned of small unit tactics and patrolling as what I learned about myself. I found I was capable of much more than I previously thought.

As much as standards have changed from the 60's and 70's, the course remains something well beyond the comprehension of today's overfed overpampered young people, although I'm sure our elders thought the same of us in our youth.

"For the mission, then. As long as he functions, I will humor him."
"If you don't humor him, you may find out how well he functions."
Old 23 April 2020, 08:17
been ***** **** that

I am sure my experience was far easier than Lefty's classbut the lessons I learned were invaluable. I , too, learned how much intestinal fortitude was bestowed upon me by the Creator . I was way close to being recycled with a busted up leg in the mountains, but the cadre allowed me to continue....I do not know if I would have lasted another round and am in constant awe of those that have done so!

PVT E-2 schibbs, 5-79
Old 23 April 2020, 12:26
Been There Done That

Similar. I hurt my wrist really bad in mountains (didn't know how bad it was until I returned to Ft. Lewis). TAC said 'We can medavac you out. Get healed up and come back, no shame in that.' I said "Nope, let me finish." He said 'Why?' I said 'Cuz if I leave, I ain't coming back.' I believe I got a chuckle out of him.

Last edited by Tonydec; 23 April 2020 at 12:32.
Old 23 April 2020, 14:38
Been There Done That

Why yaíll get so fucked up in the mountains? Donít know how to walk on side of a hill.
Old 23 April 2020, 15:46
Been There Done That

LOL. I was crossing a tree across a ravine over a creek and fell off. We thought it would save us time over building a rope bridge and stay dry. I think I might have put my arm down behind me to try and break my fall. Oh, something broke alright! I did get kudo's for holding my rifle up out of the water while I was submerged though, so I had that going for me. I was wedged in the rocks and couldn't move, they had to climb down and pull me out, so we got wet anyway.
Old 23 April 2020, 19:05
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonydec View Post
LOL. I was crossing a tree across a ravine over a creek and fell off. We thought it would save us time over building a rope bridge and stay dry. I think I might have put my arm down behind me to try and break my fall. Oh, something broke alright! I did get kudo's for holding my rifle up out of the water while I was submerged though, so I had that going for me. I was wedged in the rocks and couldn't move, they had to climb down and pull me out, so we got wet anyway.
Iíve seen it myself. Some things are predictable most every class. Like some stud taking off his pack while the patrol halts on the steepest part of a mountain. Sets it down to adjust equipment or something. Gravity then takes over. The ruck turns into a 65 lb rolling, bouncing fast moving object. They finally come to rest after 200 meters or so.

Student looks to see if ďanyone noticedĒ, looks at RI.

Donít look at me... I ainít gonna fetch it for you.
Old 23 April 2020, 21:59
been ***** **** that

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
Why yaíll get so fucked up in the mountains? Donít know how to walk on side of a hill.
We were rappelling. It was raining tons, we were wearing galoshes. They sucked. My gloves were soaked, I did not get my break on soon enough and crashed and burned onto the sandbag landing. Fried my right leg, has given me fits ever since! I know, I know, I'm a pussy!

Our new posting rules