SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Diving

Old 2 February 2019, 12:23
Confirmed User

Saturation divers

I found this article interesting. I used to work with a retired Navy Master Chief who served in Korea and Vietnam, he had been a Navy deep sea salvage diver. He was one of the funniest, least politically correct and most competent people I've worked with. RIP Ray K...

Anyway, I read this article and found it interesting. Not an career I knew anything about. It's really like being in outer space.

The Weird, Dangerous, Isolated life of the Saturation Diver
Old 4 February 2019, 08:30

It's a pretty accurate article in the generic, basic informational sense, written by an outside layman based on interview(s) and some limited research. It covers the gist of it, and certainly conveys that it's a silly way to make a living.
SAT diving, if you can live with the 30 days of confinement, is the easiest diving there is. Individual tasks on a specific dive will always have some challenges, but that holds true whether in 30 ft or 800 ft.
Outer space would be way more fun. As yet, nobody will give me the chance.
Space Force!
Old 4 February 2019, 15:02
Militant Hippy

I was a sat diver for 10yrs.

As DiveBoss stated, the article covers the gist of it. I would disagree that its the easiest diving there is. Things can be somewhat easy in mature fields such as the North Sea and the GOM.

I spent most of my time in SE Asia and West Africa. The diving can be tricky and the work can be hard in those AOR's.

Cheers.
Old 7 February 2019, 08:52

Easy man. I'm sure you've had some challenging dives. My point is that Saturation diving is an easier mode of diving than say, surface gas or some three man crew working out of a small boat.
Old 8 February 2019, 17:54
Militant Hippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiveBoss View Post
Easy man. I'm sure you've had some challenging dives. My point is that Saturation diving is an easier mode of diving than say, surface gas or some three man crew working out of a small boat.

What's surface gas?

Three man team on a small boat was how I cut my teeth. Good times had by all ... It always amazed me how we could do so much with so little.

Cheers.
Old 8 February 2019, 18:08
Been There Done That

At 21 I couldn't hang with the 1st Class divers and their shenanigans. They brought debauchery to a whole new level.

I stumbled on to this documentary. Pretty cool stuff.

BBC Real Men Series Saturation Diving
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3BWSMrgi3I

Our new posting rules