SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET - The Special Operations Community Network > Legacy > Special Operations Tributes

Old 1 February 2011, 14:16
Rest in Peace

North Carolina Veterans Memorial - July 4,2011

Construction has begun on the NC Veterans Memorial located next to the Special Operations Museum in Fayetteville, NC. It will be dedicated on 4 July 2011. Five veterans will be represented, from each NC county, with their hand casting. I was very honored to be one of the five chosen from Brunswick County, along with Col (Ret) Paul Fisher, another SF veteran.

It has an awesome design, and would be worth a visit when stopping by the Special Operations museum. Here is a link to a Fayetteville Observer article on the memorial.

http://www.fayobserver.com/Articles/2010/02/11/975558

Last edited by Tripod; 1 February 2011 at 14:17. Reason: typo
Old 1 February 2011, 14:59

Outstanding way to memorialize warriors and the price they pay for their nation. Congratulations to you for being chosen as one of the five. It's a great honor!
Old 2 February 2011, 10:15
Rest in Peace

Thanks Sheepdog. Yes, I am very honored and grateful, and didnt mean the thread to be self serving. The important thing is it's a memorial of NC veterans that spans all conflicts, and represents all branches, and both genders. A very diverse and well designed memorial. I just wanted to let the many veterans on this board from NC know that it was on its way to being accomplished in case they wanted to make it a part of their July 4th plans.

I remember when the area where it is, along with the Special Operations Museum, was a very rough part of town. Fayetteville did well in cleaning it up and using the area as way of honoring the so many that went before us.
Old 3 March 2011, 18:42

does anyone know who selected the veterans. Wonder what criteria for civillians was used. Our veteran from our county picked his family members (4) which was the total of (4) his wife being included. Just wondering because did not know about this until selections made> just wondering
Old 6 March 2011, 11:46
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by vietnam veteran 1969 View Post
does anyone know who selected the veterans. Wonder what criteria for civillians was used. Our veteran from our county picked his family members (4) which was the total of (4) his wife being included. Just wondering because did not know about this until selections made> just wondering
In Brunswick and new Hanover counties nominations were made by the Veteran's organizations (VFW, Legion, etc). The nominations were then reviewed by the County Commissioner's and then the individuals were selected. I don't think nepitism came into play in my neck of the woods.
Old 10 March 2011, 08:43

Thanks Tripod
Old 8 May 2011, 18:30

Just want to bump this thread. Currently hanging out in and around the area and visited the museum.

I highly recommend it. It is an awesome tribute to the SOF and Airborne brotherhood. A step through time from the test platoons(early 40's) to our current day operations.

Oh and those glider guys were nuts!
Old 14 June 2011, 13:46
Rest in Peace

Exclamation Ceremony Update

For those of you planning on attending, here is a link for the agenda of the dedication of the memorial on July 4th. Free food, entertainment, etc.

Sounds like it will be an awesome time!

http://www.ncveteranspark.org/pdf/ju...ony-agenda.pdf

Tripod

Our new posting rules