SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 11 March 2013, 22:39
Confirmed User

"Intervention" by Dan John

I just finished this book and thinks its great for everyone still training with injuries, wounds and the trophies of their misspent youth.

Rather than being a training manual or program, the book focuses on identifying weaknesses, old injuries, and asymmetries that push you down the path of more injury and negative performance.

Two big takeaways from the book that I think everyone can benefit from:
(.5 - I'm getting old! The book made me realize I got my RKC cert back in 2001 and I've been messing with KB's for 15 years now).

1. Avoiding injury and being smart about training is critical especially as we age. The author is / was a big Crossfit & Gym Jones guy, but states (and I hate that I agree with it) unless you are a professional athlete, or actively kicking in doors for a living, its more important that you be able to train again tomorrow than kill yourself for that 25 pull-up. Yes, that chaps my type A competitive personality, but its also 100% accurate.

2. His diagnostic performance metrics are below. Essentially he makes the point that if you can accomplish the "Game changer level" and still have performance, health or fatness issues, your problems are technical, dietary or medical related and wont be fixed by more time in the gym.

MEN Push Expected = Bodyweight bench press
Game-changer = Bodyweight bench press for 15 reps
Pull Expected = 8 10 pullups Game-changer = 15 pullups
Squat Expected = Bodyweight squat Game-changer = Bodyweight squat for 15 reps
Hinge Expected = Bodyweight to 150% bodyweight deadlift Game-changer = Double-bodyweight deadlift
Loaded Carry Expected = Farmer walk with total bodyweight (half per hand) Game-changer = Bodyweight per hand
Turkish Getup = One left and right, done with a half-filled cup of water (Don't spill the water)

Anyway, there are some pretty illuminating thoughts in the book, which is rare in the fitness industry, and its nice to see a strength coach that emphasizes health without relegating you to "heavy hands" workouts in leg warmers.

Great read.

Be safe,

DR
Old 12 March 2013, 06:48
Administrator

Dan John is always a great read and I'd like to train with him some time. He's a real coach and has done real sport, and his opinions ended up having the CF insiders turn against him. He's funny too, which is an added bonus.
Old 12 March 2013, 09:39
Confirmed User

Just ordered this. CF has some good points but it is definitely a young man's game. Always enjoy Dan John's practical pragmatic viewpoint.
Old 12 March 2013, 10:04
Chicks dig scars

Thanks DR, I will be looking into this!
Reed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB
You're an Army dude, aren't you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
Must have been my use of big words that gave it away.
Old 12 March 2013, 10:14
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

CF guys -- those who truly have taken the CF ride -- are adamant that you have to push the 100% each and every WOD.

I'm of the opinion that if I'm doing the WOD at all, shit -- I'm way ahead of the game. Hurting yourself is stupid. Yesterday I was going to run 3mi, and my right knee started hurting. It hasn't hurt in a long time, but yesterday it wasn't fucking around. So I made it 1.5mi and then walked. Wow, I'm so ashamed.

When I've hurt myself doing CF, it has been pushing beyond what I should have -- except for once. I had just started doing airsquats on this particular WOD and out of nowhere, ouch. I was out of the game for at least a week, IIRC. Being hurt is stupid, if your only goal is to be able to eat bread pudding whenever you want, and have no clothing fit issues.

Anyway, this dude apparently is stating intelligence. Cool....
Old 12 March 2013, 11:42
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
Dan John is always a great read and I'd like to train with him some time. He's a real coach and has done real sport, and his opinions ended up having the CF insiders turn against him. He's funny too, which is an added bonus.
CFHQ tends to do this to its experts, unfortunately. Dan John is a smart training guy, and I learn something every time I read his work.

His point about intensity and fighting another day is just not discussed enough in CF circles. I had to learn it myself. It is really dumb to hurt yourself in physical training. Moreso in the pursuit of "health."

I'm also happy that I meet his male bare minimums, often with considerable wiggle room. I am a game changer in but one though. yay, pullups.

Fair Winds and Following Seas SOTB & Cass

Our new posting rules