Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Air Force Special Operations > AFSOC Aviation

Old 12 February 2018, 07:39
The Sagacious One

Fulton Recovery Records

The Fulton Recovery method, made famous to US citizens via the John Wayne movie "The Green Berets", was something spoke of but supposedly rarely if ever done. I was shocked to see how many Fulton Recoveries have been performed and the low fatality rate (One recoveree became disoriented after disconnecting and stepped off the ramp)

Fo those of you who have never seen it, here is a link to a utoob

Here is a list of all of the recoveries.

Anyone ever participate, been recovered, even witness one?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Draft SKYHOOK asof 061502FEB2018.pdf (302.7 KB, 103 views)
Old 12 February 2018, 07:53
Vivat Fraternitatis

Damn. The weight of the history in that document...
Old 12 February 2018, 08:22
In Vino Veritas

There are a couple of big names in there.

Thanks TFG.
Old 12 February 2018, 08:24
Been There Done That

Never seen one done except on t.v. Watched a cool documentary years ago where one was.

Mid 90's, for shits and grins, we submitted a concept to do one for training. Yeah, it didn't get past the B-Team. TM Sgts response to the SGM was classic...."we're just looking at ways to test the new CPT. If he makes it, he might be worth keeping."

A problem shared is a problem ridiculed
Old 12 February 2018, 09:06
Old Scroll

In 79 <2> had an EDRE where we deployed to Hunter AAF and environs. One mission was to secure a black box from a downed aircraft and to extract it via Fulton. Being a cherry no-tabber in a platoon I never saw any of the action in action, but it supposedly went off without a hitch.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 12 February 2018, 10:17
Confirmed User

Small world. Several years ago, I was touring the Florida PDO yard for emergency management stuff and saw a strange thing piled in the corner. Lo and behold, it was an almost complete Fulton Sky Hook system. I asked the Manager 1) did he know what he had and 2) what do you do with it if nobody buys an incomplete system. He said he didn't know what it was and they would destroy it and dispose of per SOP. Don't know whatever happened to it.

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Last edited by Just Another Guy; 12 February 2018 at 10:36.
Old 12 February 2018, 11:56
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBum View Post
Damn. The weight of the history in that document...
Indeed.

Thanks for posting that.

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 12 February 2018, 12:05
Another pool cleaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
Indeed.

Thanks for posting that.
Truth.

That is heavy history.
Old 12 February 2018, 12:07
Old and Grumpy

I just saw a show about it last night on one of the military history channels. They were using a P2V Neptune as the recovery aircraft. All four of the attempts to penetrate Communist China went south. Even though they were penetrating air space at 30 feet above ground at night, the Chicoms were using aircraft above them and dropping flares in order to spot the Neptunes. They were all shot down with a loss of the Chinese Nationalist crews. Dangerous stuff!
Old 12 February 2018, 12:21
Been There Done That

Not to distract from the Fulton Recovery System, but it evolved from a system developed and used during WWII. The Fulton System was also on the Aerospace Rescue and Recovery Service's HC-130s. A few training pick-up of personnel were done, I have no awareness of an actual mission pick-up of personnel. It was however used to recover satellite film payloads pararescue parachuted into remote areas to recover when aerial recovery didn't successfully happen.

http://alaska.net/~jcassidy/pdf_file...rean%20War.pdf <--pages 5-6 (WWII concept and development), 17-19 (use of pre-Fulton system during Korean War, primary used to exfil partisan intelligence agents)

http://alaska.net/~jcassidy/pdf_file...%20History.pdf <--pages 3 and 4 discuss the aerial recovery aspect of film canister recovery dropped by orbiting satellite and unmanned extreme high altitude balloons.
Old 12 February 2018, 12:22
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
Never seen one done except on t.v. Watched a cool documentary years ago where one was.

Mid 90's, for shits and grins, we submitted a concept to do one for training. Yeah, it didn't get past the B-Team. TM Sgts response to the SGM was classic...."we're just looking at ways to test the new CPT. If he makes it, he might be worth keeping."
There was a bad accident in the 80's that saw the system studied and certain safety changes made to it. I don't remember the details, but I want to say a Group guy was taken up 100+ ft in the air before the line snapped when it slipped into the hinges of the catching whiskers. The victim wasn't immediately dead but died of an ineffective or botched tracheostomy.

I want to say that accident was before the cancelled Project 46 program.
Old 12 February 2018, 19:02
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
made famous to US citizens via the John Wayne movie "The Green Berets"
I remember it from Thunderball...

https://youtu.be/RVwRDtEEEes
Old 12 February 2018, 20:18
Been There Done That

I watched a few practice runs done at Hurby when i was in the Special Mission Equipment shop for a while. Setting them up was a pain. They always had double systems in one rack and when they hit the rope it had to be just right. Rope ran across the bottom and the load toad would hook it and feed it. I saw the dummy get snatched off the ground and they ask for volunteers one day in case we ever had to do it but safety or the CC kinxed that. There were some activities they just did not want us trying. If I remember right your ass got snatched off the ground at about 6 to 9+ Gs wearing some fancy harness.

William Tecumseh Sherman-
I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast.
Old 12 February 2018, 20:29
Been There Done That

So the story about SFC Wylie who ran AIMC in 1987 was true....

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.

Our new posting rules