SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 14 February 2018, 14:28
Confirmed User

Real experience with SHTF

Read a good article today on ZH.
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...ence-when-shtf

Interview is with someone who lived through Bosnia and shares what he learned.

The individual interviewed also has a blog.
https://shtfschool.com/author/selco/

I had a co-worker that I became friends with who immigrated from Bosnia. He paints a very similar picture as this article.

I have read several articles and posts from people who have been in SHTF situations. Not combat situations but civil disturbance. All of them remark that it isn't Hollywood. Reality is much different. Violence is to be avoided unless you have no other choice.

Enjoyed this point in the article.
For example one of the first houses that got raided in my neighborhood, right at the beginning of collapse while there was still some kind of order, was a rich family’s home.

They had a nice house with bars on the windows, a pretty good setup for defense, and they had enough people inside so they could give pretty good resistance to the mob.

But they got raided simply because they were known that they are rich, so they were attacked with enough force to be overwhelmed.

It was not only about how much manpower you had and how well-organized defense of your home was, it was also about how juicy a target you were.

If you are faced with 150 angry people attacking your home because they are sure you have good stuff inside your chances are low, no matter how good and tough you are.

“Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.”
― Thomas Jefferson
Old 14 February 2018, 15:00
Policeman Officer

There was an excellent blog and book by an Argentinian guy who lived though their economic crisis and collapse of social order. His name escapes me right now. People are going through it in Venezuela right now.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 14 February 2018, 15:35

The guy was named Ferfal. Fernando "FerFAL" Aguirre http://ferfal.blogspot.com/2008/10/t...ival-2005.html

And yeah all those reasons just make me realize that for some mass-wave attacks, a good old fashioned flame-throwing device (and explosives) is just what the doctor ordered. Bullets and rifle fire are one thing, but no one is running into a fucking burst of ignited gasoline. SWAT, Armored vehicles, etc --- enough molotov and flammenwerfing will take care of them all. AR500 armor aint gonna protect you from shit when jar of sticky gas/styrofoam breaks on your chest plate, or a lightbulb with gasoline explodes over your head in the alleyway adjacent to a building you're trying to break into.

Right now a friend of mine's family is holed up in VZ. They've already had their generator stolen, a methane tank jacked, and four or five people killed on their ad-hoc electric fence they rigged up after the first two incidents. Shit really is going down over there for real.
Old 14 February 2018, 16:35
Policeman Officer

That's the guy, excellent info.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 15 February 2018, 01:31
The Sagacious One

We went 17 days with no electricity after an ice storm. Food, water no issues, the generator ran most of the time, we had sat TV and an electric skillet. Fridge and freezer ran all night and intermittently during the day.
Old 15 February 2018, 11:07
Been There Done That

DD, sounds like you need dome Dragon Breath .

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E8niD-n0lHk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 15 February 2018, 11:46

Now that's just good clean redneck fun right there!

My old man has a bunch of railroad tie plates he wants to Tig weld together into a "V" to make "claymores" out of. First thing he said of when I told him about the Dragon's Breath stuff is "hmmmmm........those would make some good toe poppers....."

As to a generator, I've had a lot of thoughts about them, and I want to get a bunch of those Honda tri-fuel generators, but it's pretty far down on my list right now. If push came to shove I have bunch of 100w solar panels I can daisy-chain together to a big batter bank I made (copy/pasted this guy's design)---- and I also have a diesel truck I can rig the 3000w inverter to in a pinch. I think people overlook the fact that they have a big generator sitting in their driveway all too often (albeit not exactly the most fuel efficient).
Old 15 February 2018, 13:16
Confirmed User

It's hard to be the Gray man/house in a SHTF scenario if your AO is going to shit with a generator running. I have also been putting a lot of thought into not having a bunch of preps in the house but scattered throughout my property. The more you have visible in and around your house the more ripe for the pickins you look to a mob.

Having things cached around your property and outside of your home gives you the chance to E&E out of it and come back when things settle some.

A swarm of Locust doesn't hang around an area after they have picked it clean for long. Insurgent mentality might be the way to go during times like that. Blend in, be able to move easily by not being locked into defending a heap of stuff in your basement when a larger force comes knocking. Just my opinion.
Old 15 February 2018, 14:20
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
good old fashioned flame-throwing device (and explosives) is just what the doctor ordered.
"Give 'em the foo gas!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pDpm0_MZ2s

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
DD, sounds like you need dome Dragon Breath .

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E8niD-n0lHk
I'll raise you one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEoqrjFX1yI

Last edited by hawkdrver; 15 February 2018 at 14:28.
Old 15 February 2018, 15:09
Confirmed User

Quote:
And yeah all those reasons just make me realize that for some mass-wave attacks, a good old fashioned flame-throwing device (and explosives) is just what the doctor ordered. Bullets and rifle fire are one thing, but no one is running into a fucking burst of ignited gasoline. SWAT, Armored vehicles, etc --- enough molotov and flammenwerfing will take care of them all. AR500 armor aint gonna protect you from shit when jar of sticky gas/styrofoam breaks on your chest plate, or a lightbulb with gasoline explodes over your head in the alleyway adjacent to a building you're trying to break into.
No way would I bring out fire unless it was cover for E&E.

For the locations available to me fire is a disaster.

Now figuring out how to disperse chili powder is an option.

“Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.”
― Thomas Jefferson
Old 15 February 2018, 18:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by morelocks View Post
No way would I bring out fire unless it was cover for E&E.

For the locations available to me fire is a disaster.

Now figuring out how to disperse chili powder is an option.
Claymore with a bag of chilipowder taped to the front?
Old 15 February 2018, 20:11
Confirmed User

Quote:
Claymore with a bag of chilipowder taped to the front?
I was going for irrirant not flavoring.

But it is SHTF so bon apetite!

― Thomas Jefferson
Old 15 February 2018, 20:23
Another pool cleaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by morelocks View Post
Read a good article today on ZH.
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...ence-when-shtf

...[/INDENT]
My take away from the article:

(1) Do not attract attention
(2) Be ready for violence
(3) Do not be attached to belongings
(4) Have means & skills
(5) Use common sense.
(6) YOU ARE NOT SURE WHO THE BAD GUYS ARE.

I've told my family not to speak outside the house of our possessions (firearms, prep, security).

I can foresee in many SHTF scenarios that desperate friends and acquaintances will be the death of a prepper.
Old 16 February 2018, 05:58
Been There Done That

My uncle who is a Mormon (LDS) once was bragging to us about how all Mormons keep a well stocked pantry with 6-12 months of supplies/food for hard times/disasters. My fathers response was, "I just keep a list of all the Mormons in my neighborhood".

Old 16 February 2018, 06:01
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8654maine View Post
My take away from the article:

(1) Do not attract attention
(2) Be ready for violence
(3) Do not be attached to belongings
(4) Have means & skills
(5) Use common sense.
(6) YOU ARE NOT SURE WHO THE BAD GUYS ARE.

I've told my family not to speak outside the house of our possessions (firearms, prep, security).

I can foresee in many SHTF scenarios that desperate friends and acquaintances will be the death of a prepper.
Take away food and water , and within just a few weeks many civilized people become uncivilized savages. What you once thought were rational people, some of your neighbors and friends and relatives, many of them will change and resort back to their animalistic primal origins. True character is revealed.

Old 16 February 2018, 14:31
Confirmed User

Something that hasn't been discussed much in any of the SHTF type scenarios is Water and the almost instant dehydration affect it will have on most Americans from the lack of it.

We all know that most of our society are brain dead sheep that live only because the most basic of needs are met quite well in our 1st World country with clean water and sanitation. As soon as the water stops coming out of the tap and shitters stop flushing and start over flowing drinking Water and dysentery will take hold within days after any major SHTF event with no outside help. A lot people will die within days and even quicker with dysentery symptoms from dehydration.

I used to think that hunger would drive the craziness in a few weeks but we also have to include the affects of a lack of clean water and the fact that most Americans are morons when it comes to taking care of themselves because their whole lives it was just always there for them and they have never given it a second thought.

To that I also will add that people suffering from major dehydration and later on starvation, are not going to have the strength to riot and loot and pillage. We will have millions upon millions who just wither and die because they are weak and have always been weak. Lets not forget the millions upon millions who rely on daily medications that will not live long without them.

The ones to watch out for might just be other peppers who can get through the first coupe of months but nothing really beyond that. They will be the ones still strong enough and armed well enough to be a major problem down the road.

Last edited by DB8541; 16 February 2018 at 14:44.
Old 16 February 2018, 14:40
Shakin' the bush Boss

It will be ugly in the populated areas. Quick. I've set myself up to have a self supporting homestead, but security is my problem. If I get bum-rushed I won't last long.
Old 16 February 2018, 14:53
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
It will be ugly in the populated areas. Quick. I've set myself up to have a self supporting homestead, but security is my problem. If I get bum-rushed I won't last long.

Same here. Without more effective people, I am doomed which is why I am now starting to really think about cacheing a lot of stuff around my property and other places. This will give me a chance if I need to bug out, even if only as a temporary means until shit settles around the homestead to come back and retrieve supplies when needed.

Sadly the family I have with me now and ones who possibly might show up later will not be of much help. Medical issues, age, and a host of other things means I would be a one man show, so I really need to have an alternate E&E plan which again only I would be able to do minus one son and some of his friends. This of course is only if I am a sole survivor of events and after I having given my all to defend my family from attacks. I would die defending my family but I won't die for a house or food stores, hence the caches around the property.

I have an Alamo set up but really only one guy who can man the wall at the initial SHTF kick off and thats me. This reality has been on my mind for awhile now and it is saddening to say the least.
Old 16 February 2018, 14:54
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post

If you can hook yourself up with some acetelye tanks, let me know. I tell you how to cover some dead space.

I have real world experience with this.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 16 February 2018, 14:59
Shakin' the bush Boss

I have a great setup. Out of sight, one way in, road easily barricaded, plenty of water. If I had a rifle squad it would take a company of grunts to take this place. With just me and the wife I would be in trouble with a large group.

Our new posting rules