SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 14 February 2018, 16:39
Policeman Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by litepath View Post
It ONLY counts if you post it on FB and talk about how you're ready for that . . . . SHTF thingy everyone talks about.

Cross thread?
Ha, I try very hard not to post anything gun or gear related on Facebook. Can't be too careful these days.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 14 February 2018, 16:41
Policeman Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Sigh.....the militarization of police.

Rolling in your MRAP yet?
I had "Sheepdog" next to my avatar for like three months without anybody commenting on it. Really took the fun out of it.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 14 February 2018, 18:30
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
I had "Sheepdog" next to my avatar for like three months without anybody commenting on it. Really took the fun out of it.
Uh, we stopped reading your avatar title after "sheep."
Old 14 February 2018, 18:38
Shovel Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous View Post
Uh, we stopped reading your avatar title after "sheep."
Right! No one is judging here.
Old 14 February 2018, 23:17
Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
MCRD should teach irons. SOI/whatever they call it now should teach the glass if it was an issue. In no way shape or form should they have dropped irons from the ciriculumn. Basic training is just that --- BASIC 101 how to be a Marine. Just my grunt opinion though.

Bingo.
they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Jeff Cooper
Old 15 February 2018, 01:41
Only slightly useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Thank you internet. Just makes you want to buy more stuff sadly, and I have been guilty of this myself. My brother got me a subscription to Recoil Magazine for Christmas. While I appreciate it , and enjoy reading it - I swear the magazine is basically all advertisements and gear reviews- trying to getting you to buy more tactical stuff. .
I pursue several gun magazines each month and all of them seem to be just filled with ads disguised as reviews! Just once I want to see a gun test article that says " This weapon is a wortless pos and can't hit a barn door from the inside"!☺

" My Son is my new Hero"
Old 15 February 2018, 12:20
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeless Civilian View Post
I pursue several gun magazines each month and all of them seem to be just filled with ads disguised as reviews! Just once I want to see a gun test article that says " This weapon is a wortless pos and can't hit a barn door from the inside"!☺
I have got lucky not to get a lemon yet. I did argue with my editor over repoting a few malfunctions during a review. I told him I took the time to add in the importance of using different ammo, break-in etc. I won that one.
Old 22 February 2018, 21:11
Bitter old man.

Chris Paronto's AR brings up good points.

https://youtu.be/W7YbuK8SAfU
Old 22 February 2018, 21:17
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
Now that's funny
Old 1 March 2018, 21:59
Bitter old man.

Warsport the maker of the LVOA C is tits up. I believe they were bought out. Web page is down, guess all the kids will have to buy SAI ARs lol.

DD isn't going to be happy.
Old 1 March 2018, 22:14
33,024 - R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Warsport the maker of the LVOA C is tits up. I believe they were bought out. Web page is down, guess all the kids will have to buy SAI ARs lol.

WarSport was originally started by Joey Boswell, and he made awesome blasters. It’s was then bought by some asshat that completely fucked up the QC. As of SHOT Show, and company called ZRO(?) bought them out. The made a fun video. Brought a crane out and demolished all of the old inventory. They are offering to do warranty work on all of the jacked up WS ARs out there....we’ll see.
Old 2 March 2018, 14:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post

I'm an HK, BCM, LWRC kinda guy. LVOA-C stuff is for the airsofters and gamer freaks. I didn't even know that company/rifle existed before some 12 year olds started screeching about them because they are the OP weapon in The Division™.
Old 2 March 2018, 15:03
Supporterator

Quote:

I didn't even know that company/rifle existed before some 12 year olds started screeching about them because they are the OP weapon in The Division™.
Now THAT is gay
Old 2 March 2018, 15:40
Bitter old man.

Quote:

I'm an HK, BCM, LWRC kinda guy. LVOA-C stuff is for the airsofters and gamer freaks. I didn't even know that company/rifle existed before some 12 year olds started screeching about them because they are the OP weapon in The Division™.
I was messing with you man.
Old 11 March 2018, 10:16
Confirmed User

This is a great thread. Very humbling and grounded. As a novice shooter I have definitely bought some stuff thats out of my league/shooting skills, ACOG and Sig 516. And unfortunately, time allotted for training, schooling is very very limited when traveling allot. Dry firing my pistol is all I can do most of the time.
Going to have to rethink what my mission is. Its HD/SD, not Operator.
Old 11 March 2018, 10:20
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
This is a great thread. Very humbling and grounded. As a novice shooter I have definitely bought some stuff thats out of my league/shooting skills, ACOG and Sig 516. And unfortunately, time allotted for training, schooling is very very limited when traveling allot. Dry firing my pistol is all I can do most of the time.
Going to have to rethink what my mission is. Its HD/SD, not Operator.
Just be what you are. It's those that think the gear and clothes makes the man. I have no issue with someone having great or "cool" gear...it's when they think they are something they aren't. That's when I basically hate them.
Old 11 March 2018, 10:40
Another pool cleaner

It's a fine line between grumpy old guy and fad maven.

Don't let progress pass you by, but do not forget the basics and tradition.
Old 11 March 2018, 10:50
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
As a novice shooter I have definitely bought some stuff thats out of my league/shooting skills, ACOG and Sig 516.
Buying quality products from reputable manufacturers is not out of anyone's league. From your self-description, I would characterize "out of your league" as buying an OpsCore helmet or Crye multicam uniforms. I will caveat this by writing...we live in the United States...you can buy whatever you want to buy, and who cares what anyone else thinks...because America.

You do need to match your equipment to your most likely employment scenario. An ACOG is not the most appropriate optic on a HD long gun.
Old 11 March 2018, 11:09
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
Buying quality products from reputable manufacturers is not out of anyone's league. From your self-description, I would characterize "out of your league" as buying an OpsCore helmet or Crye multicam uniforms. I will caveat this by writing...we live in the United States...you can buy whatever you want to buy, and who cares what anyone else thinks...because America.

You do need to match your equipment to your most likely employment scenario. An ACOG is not the most appropriate optic on a HD long gun.
Shotgun or SBR/AR15 pistol is better suited for HD...
But, regardless, as a non combat trained Vet, I need to embrace a system within the house for HD/SD.
First will be, get alerted an intruder is coming, via dog, alarm or something.
Then, have whatever tool I need to stop him, ready to go and be proficient in using it.
Old 11 March 2018, 11:14
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Shotgun or SBR/AR15 pistol is better suited for HD...
But, regardless, as a non combat trained Vet, I need to embrace a system within the house for HD/SD.
First will be, get alerted an intruder is coming, via dog, alarm or something.
Then, have whatever tool I need to stop him, ready to go and be proficient in using it.
The 516 is fine for HD. A shotgun is fine for HD. There are pros/cons for each. SBRs and AR15 pistols have more cons than pros.

Our new posting rules