SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > History

Old 21 August 2019, 16:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildoc View Post
I have family in Goldsboro NC, SJAFB had F-4s before F-15Es. You could see the black exhaust miles away. I loved watching them.

My cousin married a Marine pilot who flew F-4s during the 70s. I enjoyed his stories. He said trapping on carriers was quite challenging.
I was at Seymour Johnson during the 80's. The F-4s were there for quite a few years before being replaced by the F-15E in the late eighties. They used to say that the F-4 was proof that you could make a brick fly if you had enough thrust and some level of flight controls.
Old 21 August 2019, 16:33
Did...did I do that?

Seems like I recall West German AF F-4s making practice runs against our old HAWK unit in the 80s. Them, and the A-10s practicing against our sister German unit, a Gepard battery. Always fun to watch them.
Old 21 August 2019, 18:44
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim416 View Post
I was at Seymour Johnson during the 80's. The F-4s were there for quite a few years before being replaced by the F-15E in the late eighties. They used to say that the F-4 was proof that you could make a brick fly if you had enough thrust and some level of flight controls.
All of my mother's family is from Goldsboro and Wayne County. I remember the B-52s as well, but my memory only goes back to the F-4s....

We love eating at Wilber's on 70 watching the aircraft land, the F-15E's are impressive, but not as much as the F-4s....
Old 21 August 2019, 21:26
The atomic zit

I trust you’ve heard that Wilber’s is out of business.

Apparently Shirley hasn’t been paying Wilber’s taxes for longer than awhile...
Old 22 August 2019, 06:38
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
I trust youíve heard that Wilberís is out of business.

Apparently Shirley hasnít been paying Wilberís taxes for longer than awhile...
Yeah, actually knew that was going to happen before it happened. He's a friend of the family and has had health issues. But it looks like some people are trying to pull their money and resurrect it, not sure if it's going to be a whole new thing or just the new version. But it certainly is a Goldsboro icon. And how many people stop there to eat on the way to and from the beach?
Old 22 August 2019, 07:09
The atomic zit

We would never not stop when we’re headed down 70 to the beach. One of their T-shirts is in regular rotation, I think I’ll keep the other one for a while and see if I can get $100 for it on eBay… Big :-)
Old 22 August 2019, 09:07
Old Scroll

I remember very clearly seeing the Thunderbirds around 1972, flying F4 Phantoms. Spectacularly LOUD and very impressive.

Fast forward about five or six years and we saw them again, but this time they were in the T38 Talons. Whisper Jets. Yawn.

Fast forward again about 10 years and they were in the F16 Falcons. Pretty cool, but nothing like the Phantoms.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 23 August 2019, 19:17
Confirmed User

Did he signed with his mustache?
My uncle flew F-4. out of Thailand in 1960s.

[QUOTE=hawkdrver;1058811233]I have a similar one hanging over my desk with Robin Oldsí signature on it.
Old 3 September 2019, 23:12
Been There Done That

Once upon a time we were boxed in at Ben Het, the only road in/out was held by the NVA. We were app. 300, they had three regiments massing around us. F4s coming back from over the fence had some 500 lb. left over, so upon our request they unloaded on the NVA ambushing the convoy trying to break thru the roadblock. Re-arranged the landscape and gave us some relief. Those F4s were the best thing we had seen in a while.

"For the mission, then. As long as he functions, I will humor him."
"If you don't humor him, you may find out how well he functions."
Old 3 September 2019, 23:36
The atomic zit

I scanned in page-by-page the article from that old copy of Air and Space Smithsonian.

They were too big to post page by page. If there is anyone they can do some shrink and combination magic, I would be more than happy to email you all the scans.

They were not too big to email via Gmail. If you think you can do that, please send me a PM and I will email you the scans.

V/R

S
Old 9 September 2019, 03:27
Confirmed User

I grew up just a few miles from March AFB and there was an Air Force reserve unit flying the F-4 Wild Weasel up until the late '80s. I think they may have even flown in the Gulf War. Anyway, I seem to remember that they always flew in groups of four and when they did it was always just a few hundred feet over the house.

It was impressive to watch.
Old 9 September 2019, 04:14
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
Once upon a time we were boxed in at Ben Het, the only road in/out was held by the NVA. We were app. 300, they had three regiments massing around us. F4s coming back from over the fence had some 500 lb. left over, so upon our request they unloaded on the NVA ambushing the convoy trying to break thru the roadblock. Re-arranged the landscape and gave us some relief. Those F4s were the best thing we had seen in a while.
Awesome.

Sure would like to hear more of your stories boss.
Old 9 September 2019, 11:03
Confronting the Reckoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by X18BSOCAL View Post
I grew up just a few miles from March AFB and there was an Air Force reserve unit flying the F-4 Wild Weasel up until the late '80s. I think they may have even flown in the Gulf War. Anyway, I seem to remember that they always flew in groups of four and when they did it was always just a few hundred feet over the house.

I drove past the end of an air force base runway at the age of about, uh, ten, and saw a flight of four F-4s lift off right over us. That was the most bad-ass thing a kid like me could see at that age. So loud too!
Old 10 September 2019, 04:41
Callsign: Turkey Bacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by X18BSOCAL View Post

Do you remember when Dean Martinís son Dean Paul crashed his California Air Guard F-4C into San Giorgino Mts. just east of March AFB? Was in winter of 1987..
Old 12 September 2019, 06:54
been ***** **** that

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
Awesome.

Sure would like to hear more of your stories boss.
That is for daggum sure.....being hemmed in would suck, in the jungle has got to suck worse!
Old 13 September 2019, 10:06
33,024 - R.I.P.

I spent part of my youth at China Lake NWS. I remember being outside during PE class at Burroughs HS, and watching an F-4J heading towards the base. All I saw on the horizon was the thick bellowing smoke from those J-79s, thinking the whole time something was wrong. Nope, just a smoky jet. I would watch the A-4s, A-7s and F-4s fly approaches there during the dusk hours. Loved it.

My first Navy squadron (VF-301) had just transitioned from F-4s to F-14s about 2-3 years before I arrived. Before the F-4s, they were flying F-8 Crusaders.
Old 16 September 2019, 01:39
Confirmed User

Quote:
Do you remember when Dean Martin’s son Dean Paul crashed his California Air Guard F-4C into San Giorgino Mts. just east of March AFB? Was in winter of 1987..
Yes.

The crash site wasn't found by the AF or Civil Air Patrol either. I know how it was found and the details didn't make the news. Very bizarre.
Old 16 September 2019, 08:20

Would you care to elaborate?
Old 16 September 2019, 08:26
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
I spent part of my youth at China Lake NWS. I remember being outside during PE class at Burroughs HS, and watching an F-4J heading towards the base. All I saw on the horizon was the thick bellowing smoke from those J-79s, thinking the whole time something was wrong. Nope, just a smoky jet. I would watch the A-4s, A-7s and F-4s fly approaches there during the dusk hours. Loved it.

My first Navy squadron (VF-301) had just transitioned from F-4s to F-14s about 2-3 years before I arrived. Before the F-4s, they were flying F-8 Crusaders.
Never saw the Crusader in flight, but I sure would have loved to. Yes, those J-79s, you could see a Phantom 30 miles away. Beloved sight in eastern NC pre-F-15E. I remember when Cherry Point had A-4s, and A-6s. Those A-4s, you never saw them until they were right on top of you.
Old 17 September 2019, 13:54
Confronting the Reckoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael A. View Post
Would you care to elaborate?
Out of curiosity, I turned up this:
https://apnews.com/f457b4466908b595369e07968679fbb0

Aerial search followed by ground search teams.

Our new posting rules