SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 12 May 2014, 14:50
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraqgunz View Post
... But the entire thing was botched from the legal standpoint. Crime scene was trashed, witnesses, etc... had it been dealt with quickly and efficiently from the beginning and had the USG actually done something I may have been ok with it, but they didn't....
What crime-scene? What witnesses? How do you deal with something like that quickly and efficiently?

There was nothing that would have been conducted even remotely resembling a stateside criminal investigation.To assume anyone could have done otherwise, especially on that day, is laughable.

The FBI, when they showed up, were so fucking clueless it was almost scary. When the DOJ assumes that every PSD just goes guns hot from point of departure to venue and back you know there are going to be some minor issues...

What happened that day was a fucking disaster and I'll leave it at that. In those days things were still quite active as the VBIED on at Izdihar illustrated that day before the shooting started.

In the end this renewed focus is an attempt to derail attention from the Administration and their criminal handling of Benghazi.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 12 May 2014, 15:50
Overseas Gunplumber

Exactly the point I was trying to make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
What crime-scene? What witnesses? How do you deal with something like that quickly and efficiently?

There was nothing that would have been conducted even remotely resembling a stateside criminal investigation.To assume anyone could have done otherwise, especially on that day, is laughable.

The FBI, when they showed up, were so fucking clueless it was almost scary. When the DOJ assumes that every PSD just goes guns hot from point of departure to venue and back you know there are going to be some minor issues...

What happened that day was a fucking disaster and I'll leave it at that. In those days things were still quite active as the VBIED on at Izdihar illustrated that day before the shooting started.

In the end this renewed focus is an attempt to derail attention from the Administration and their criminal handling of Benghazi.

I have been to some armorer courses.

Owner- Semper Paratus Arms, LLC
Old 12 May 2014, 15:55
BTDT

I want to clarify that my "amateur" comment wasn't directed to anyone specifically, or even any company... just that there were yahoo's everywhere over there (even in my company), and that's why an automatic defense wasn't applicable. All companies had duds and studs.
Old 10 July 2014, 22:32
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
I want to clarify that my "amateur" comment wasn't directed to anyone specifically, or even any company... just that there were yahoo's everywhere over there (even in my company), and that's why an automatic defense wasn't applicable. All companies had duds and studs.
I just re-read this thread as the trial is ramping up more now. Poly, this isn't directed at you, but is a general observation. I find it interesting how many people are quick to point out the amateur side of the contracting world, but fail to mention all the amateurs in uniform who acted like ass hats back then.

Ultimately, ML hit the nail on the head. Whether the contractors were right, wrong, or indifferent, this investigation was botched from the outset and now appears to many to have devolved into nothing more than a politicized mess and witch hunt.
Old 11 July 2014, 09:42
On the Extract Bird

IMO, this case is a set-up that had been looking for a scapegoat for several years. All the liberals needed was a gathering of knuckleheads at the right time, right place.

Approximately a year before this event happened, a liberal Democrat politician from Rhode Island and his aid were in Mosul to investigate why Operation Mosul Safe Day had gone so terribly wrong.

After the tour, the two were inside the vehicle (I guess they forgot the vehicle was filled with PSD types) and were openly discussing how the war was out of control, the Army and the contractors were "like little boys playing war", and they (the liberals) needed to make examples of civilian contractors and aggressive military types in order to show how "bad" the war had become. (war for profit, human rights, etc.) At that point, the two realized there were 4 PSD types in the same vehicle and they decided to hold the rest of the conversation in private.

Fast forward and look what's happening....a corrupt Admin/DoJ was looking for an excuse, and are now doing everything possible to burn the CONCEPT of private security/PSD as a part of the combined war effort. (Of course it helps their cause when PSD types act like a friggin' clown car full of special needs children.)

If this case is successfully prosecuted, look for some type of "feel good" legislation attempting to minimize/eliminate contractors in war zones.
Old 12 July 2014, 00:12
Custom User Title

If that's the case, then these idiots obliged them by providing the perfect opportunity.
Old 12 July 2014, 11:55
Gud Stick
Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy L-bach View Post
...its all about the victims.

On one hand you have a US ambassador killed over a religiously sensitive youtube video.
On the other, an Iraqi civilian killed purely so that Darth Chaney could put bloody oil money in his evil capitalist bank account.

Clearly you see the importance of what is going on here? War profiteers must be punished.
Looks like you are still drinking the KoolAid. The "video" had NOTHING to do with the Bengazi killings.
Old 12 July 2014, 11:58
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

IIRC the FBI was unable to match ANY of the green tip taken from the bodies of dead/wounded civilians to any of the weapons used by the BW guys? Or do I have that wrong?

"Let us return to old times and that will be progress." - Verdi
Old 12 July 2014, 14:34
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gud Stick View Post
Looks like you are still drinking the KoolAid. The "video" had NOTHING to do with the Bengazi killings.

Gud Stick, Post an introduction in the proper forum per the instructions you received when you became a member. Any further posts without an intro will be deleted.
Old 12 July 2014, 14:56
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Looks like you don't understand satire. Your "post" has NOTHING to do with the topic at hand.
Old 12 July 2014, 16:02
Been There Done That

Quote:
Your analytical skills are unmatched on this forum.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 13 July 2014, 05:33
BTDT

Quote:

Yes it did.

The government said so.
...and Hillary is STILL sticking to her guns on it.
The left is a treasonous movement. The Democrats became a treasonous organization when they fell under the sway of a movement that rejects our system of government, its laws, and its elections. Now their treason is coming to a head.
- Daniel Greenfield
Old 13 July 2014, 07:45
Overseas Gunplumber

Gud stick says you need to reduce your Kool-Aid intake. Apparently you have had too much of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy L-bach View Post
Yes it did.

The government said so.
...and Hillary is STILL sticking to her guns on it.

Old 13 July 2014, 08:48
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficeSloth View Post
I just re-read this thread as the trial is ramping up more now. Poly, this isn't directed at you, but is a general observation.
Roger dodger. We didn't really interact too much, with .mil.
Old 22 October 2014, 13:24
Problem Solver

The verdict's in:

Former Blackwater Guards Convicted in Iraq Shooting

By MATT APUZZOOCT. 22, 2014

WASHINGTON — Four former Blackwater Worldwide security contractors were convicted Wednesday on charges stemming from a deadly 2007 shooting in Iraq.

Jurors found one defendant guilty of murder and three others of manslaughter and weapons charges, roundly asserting that the shooting was criminal. The defendants showed little emotion as the lengthy verdict was read.

Seventeen Iraqis died when gunfire erupted in the crowded Nisour Square in Baghdad. The shooting inflamed anti-American sentiment abroad and helped solidify the notion that Blackwater, America’s largest security contractor in Iraq, was reckless and unaccountable.

The former contractors said that they were ambushed by insurgents, and that civilian deaths were the unfortunate, unintended consequences of urban warfare.

The defendants were Blackwater guards. One of them, Nicholas A. Slatten, who the government said fired the shots, was convicted of murder. The others — Dustin L. Heard, Evan S. Liberty and Paul A. Slough — received manslaughter and firearm convictions. The three men avoided murder charges after prosecutors missed a deadline and let the statute of limitations expire for all other charges.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/23/us...dict.html?_r=0

"Oderint, dum metuant" ("Let them hate, so long as they fear") - Caligula

"Those that know don't talk and those that talk don't know."
Old 22 October 2014, 13:28
Plank Owner

Beat me by 2 minutes...I just read this.

As one of the many instructors out there, I can confirm that the quality of people being sent over got less and less as time went on....
Old 22 October 2014, 15:03
Overseas Gunplumber

Instructors out where? Did you teach at Moyock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSRT1 View Post
Beat me by 2 minutes...I just read this.

As one of the many instructors out there, I can confirm that the quality of people being sent over got less and less as time went on....

Old 22 October 2014, 15:04
Plank Owner

Yes I did.
Old 22 October 2014, 17:41
Administrator

Yet never on the program?
Old 22 October 2014, 18:41
Legal Immigrant

I wasn't there. I never worked for that company. But my 2 cents...

With the events leading up to the shooting, the lack of adequate investigation, (taking statements is not "investigating"), and the exculpatory evidence available, I am amazed at the guilty verdicts.

I'm not saying they are innocent. I'm not saying they are guilty. I'm saying that there was not sufficient evidence to arrive at a "beyond reasonable doubt" verdict.

And I have been saying for years that the tactics and immediate media claims used for this incident are almost exactly the same as those that had a USMC SOF unit kicked out of Afghanistan earlier that same year, from an incident near JBad.

Our new posting rules