SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 13 May 2019, 08:49
Confirmed User

I've been listening to Paul Vanderklay (a Christian Reformed pastor) on his podcast & youtube channel. He is engaging the material of a popular secular psychologist's who relies heavily on the Bible. Jordan B Peterson is the author of "12 Rules for Life". Vanderklay is using interest in Peterson to draw unbelievers into conversations about life and meaning.

https://youtu.be/H_prMglq2Xg is Paul discussing why the church should be discussing Peterson's work.

I'm hooked on listening to Vanderklay and Peterson to understand why Peterson's use of scripture (which is purely based in psychology, and not history or theology) is so captivating to growing numbers of people.

If any of you (believer or skeptic) want to discuss Peterson's work and impact, please send me a PM.

Vanderklay's material includes sermon material and interviews with a broad variety of people - many of whom are not close to faith. He engages in a very respectful and thoughtful manner.
Old 13 May 2019, 10:43
Life is simple, not easy.

I just subscribed to Vanderklay. I see an interview with JP and I'll give it a listen. Thanks.
Old 20 August 2019, 22:53

I DVR Dr. David Jeremiah ("Turning Point") and watch him faithfully. I used to listen to his earlier sermons (when he was younger and before I knew about him) and his voice was booming, but YouTube took those down.

Here is a younger Dr. Jeremiah discussing worry. Great lesson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1c7iTHSg6o
Old 20 August 2019, 23:14

Here is one from Dr. Jeremiah that wasn't tossed for copyright.

Listen to his voice. He had an entire series on "Love's Power Over....." Most have been pulled by YouTube but this man must have been something to behold when he was younger.

Audio only: My favorite

"Loves Powers Over Pride"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF2FI1HuQXc&t=828s
Old 22 August 2019, 15:56

Skip Heitzig has a series called "The Bible from 30K feet."
(Skip is the pastor for Calvary Chapel Albuquerque.)

Lots of great stuff in this series.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...om+30+000+feet
Old 22 August 2019, 17:07
Been There Done That

I like listening to some of Chuck Missler's messages on you tube regarding the Biblical narrative as it applies to current scientific research
RIP 4-79 (HG)
class 4-80
Old 22 August 2019, 19:35
Isiah 52:13-53:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Welshan View Post
I like listening to some of Chuck Missler's messages on you tube regarding the Biblical narrative as it applies to current scientific research
X2. Dr Missler, May he Rest In Peace, was the biblical teacher of today who influenced my faith and understanding as well. He and Chuck Smith out of Calvary Chapel in Costa Mesa in the mid 80’s taught me so much I listened to his cassette tapes back then. His science background and scripture knowledge was just what I needed. I highly recommend his works both in book and his lectures now available on Utube. The Koinonia House is his and his late wife Nancy’s website now ran by others with a ton of information on it.

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

“A little science estranges one from God. A lot of science brings one back.” -Francis Bacon
Old 22 August 2019, 20:08
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenonburnout View Post
X2. Dr Missler, May he Rest In Peace, was the biblical teacher of today who influenced my faith and understanding as well. He and Chuck Smith out of Calvary Chapel in Costa Mesa in the mid 80’s taught me so much I listened to his cassette tapes back then. His science background and scripture knowledge was just what I needed. I highly recommend his works both in book and his lectures now available on Utube. The Koinonia House is his and his late wife Nancy’s website now ran by others with a ton of information on it.
His "Learn the Bible in 24 Hours" series is one of the best. I have watched it several times and learn something new each time I watch it. He was a wealth of knowledge and is missed.
Old 27 August 2019, 11:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
His "Learn the Bible in 24 Hours" series is one of the best. I have watched it several times and learn something new each time I watch it. He was a wealth of knowledge and is missed.
When I first started to dig into the Bible the first book I bought to help me "navigate" was How to Read the Bible in 24-Hours. It is a basic intro to the books and obviously isn't meant to teach you how to read the Bible in 24-hours, it just has 24 chapters. Great for me because I was raised Catholic and didn't have a tight grasp on any of the books to he honest. Reading his book led me to the "Popular Survey of the OT" and "Popular Survey of the NT" books my Norman Geisler, who we sadly lost recently as well.

Our new posting rules