SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 12 January 2019, 16:40
Been There Done That

Actions speak louder than words.
Old 12 January 2019, 17:00
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildoc View Post
I get just as much insight from the newly proclaimed Christian as I do from a PhD from Southeastern Baptist Seminary.
So you are saying that a pastor which has dedicated his life to the study of the Bible, studies the fathers of the church, studies the original languages of the Bible, and is being held responsible for those under him, will show you the same things as a brand new Christian?
Old 12 January 2019, 17:29
Been There Done That

Here we go...

Let's dont make this a Theological pissing contest. That's why folks say never discuss religion and politics. The thread author noted some do's & don'ts to keep it interesting and share views. Not challenge them.

Karl Childers
Old 12 January 2019, 17:34
Been There Done That

Sermons:

15 minute time limit - tops. Get your point across, some key points and be done with it. Longer than that, people loose interest and minds start to wonder.

Unfortunately, have not been to church in almost 4 years and doubtful wil return.
Old 12 January 2019, 17:40
Supporterator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
I find Theology in general fascinating. I'm a non-denominational protestant. Bible school, Church camp all of that. Baptized in early teens. Whenever I travelled...like food I tried to interest myself in everything about the culture including religion. There's no argument from me about your God. Tell me all about him...I'll sit around the hookah and listen to you all day. Just dont try to convert me.

I don't worship at a Church. In fact, I cant remember last time I was in one. I would probably suffer from spontaneous human combustion if I entered the doors. I know that's wrong but in reality kinda how I feel . I don't feel comfortable there as I don't in a lot of public/other areas.

The outdoors and seeing Gods majestic work has always been my Church. Like Tom T. Hall sang; Me & Jesus got our own thing going. Me & Jesus got it all worked out.
Where two or three are gathered together in My Name, there I am among them.
Matthew 18:20

I dont believe church is a requirement for being saved, 1RS, and I believe the verse pretty clearly supports that belief.

I also believe the denominations are simply division in the church. We all must remember we worship the same Biblical Creator.

Another shout out to HDLS for sacking up and starting this discussion.
Old 12 January 2019, 17:50
Confirmed User

Please put this into the "Humor" thread.
Fairy tales for adults.
At the age of 15 I tossed up becoming a padre in the paras or being a tooth arm.
Decided on the latter.
Please, please, please, let's leave the proselytizing and angst off of what is probably the best, most knowledgeable and resected forum on the net.
No disrespect intended to the faithful.
M
Old 12 January 2019, 17:57
Problem Solver

Quote:
Originally Posted by maim View Post

Please put this into the "Humor" thread.
Fairy tales for adults...

...No disrespect intended to the faithful...
Either you didn't read the first post or, if you did, you chose not to honor HDLS's request:

"I'll ask upfront that this thread exists to respectfully discuss any sort of Christian topics. The thread is not to debate or opine about the existence/non-existence of God, flying spaghetti monster, Odin, et al. Please start a separate thread if that is your preference. Thank you."

"Oderint, dum metuant" ("Let them hate, so long as they fear") - Caligula

"Those that know don't talk and those that talk don't know."

Last edited by Shadow; 12 January 2019 at 18:03.
Old 12 January 2019, 18:10
Important nobody

Alistair Begg is good for me, also Raul Reese(believe he is a Vietnam Vet), but my favorite is the late David Wilkerson, a fire and brimstone guy. Dont like the televangelists. However I also like to listen to debates between Christians and athiests if there is no name calling and is respectful. Other points of view make me question some tenants of my faith. Always learning. YMMV. Interesting thread Gents!
Old 12 January 2019, 18:26
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildoc View Post
My wife and I and our kids are all pretty devout Christians, following the we are. We don't go to any brick-and-mortar church anymore. After reading the Bible several times and doing some independent research that is not the model that we choose to follow. We, all of us, all Christians are "The Church", and it's funny how the Bible does not mention 11-12 on Sundays, Wednesday evening meals, any of that.

We Believe and the home Church concept, but we get our spiritual and Christian guidance from a variety of other believers. I get just as much insight from the newly proclaimed Christian as I do from a PhD from Southeastern Baptist Seminary.

I love discussing Christianity, religion, the Bible, especially from a historical perspective.
I believe Sunday came from the Roman, Constatine--Sunday became a day to worship both the Christian God and the Sun God...all because he painted a cross on his shield and won a major battle. IIRC
Old 12 January 2019, 18:29
Sound off for equipment check!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Religion emphasizes dogma while spirituality emphasizes wisdom...
Many of our problems start when folks let religion get in front of their faith.

Just a closer walk... without the ritual and dogma. He died for me. I need no intercessor.
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests. ~Patrick Henry

"Sēlre bi ghwm t hē his frēond wrece, onne hē fela murne." ~Bēowulf, bearn Ecgēowes
Old 12 January 2019, 18:34
Problem Solver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longrifle View Post

Many of our problems start when folks let religion get in front of their faith.

Just a closer walk... without the ritual and dogma. He died for me. I need no intercessor.
Exactly.

No doctrine should surpass or usurp one's personal relationship with Christ.

"Oderint, dum metuant" ("Let them hate, so long as they fear") - Caligula

"Those that know don't talk and those that talk don't know."
Old 12 January 2019, 18:43
Back on The Farm

Like a couple of you have mentioned...if I stepped into a church it would probably collapse on my head.
That being said, I was raised a RC. I have since come to dislike (for lack of a better word) organized religion. I am a believer in the Old Stories, past that I have no beliefs. I only believe in what I can directly control, and while I consider myself a spiritual being, I would not say I am any sort of "believer". I have faith in those who choose to live a good life and try to serve their fellow humanity in some way. I do find the topic fascinating, though. I will discuss religion with anyone who is rational enough to have a cogent discuss on the subject.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet." Gen. Mattis

"Definition of insanity: Letting the government dictate what the Amendment designed to control the government - means." - Polypro

"The rules only apply when something is going wrong." -Me

"When are you gonna come down?
When are you going to land?
I should have stayed on the farm
I should have listened to my old man" Elton John
Old 12 January 2019, 18:50
Swimming Upstream

I have discovered an App and podcast called The Daily Audio Bible and listen to that every day. Brian does a great job narrating and providing limited commentary and there is a world wide body of folks who listen and call in to pray for one another.

I became a Christian "on the road to the motor pool" in Fort Lewis, WA back in 1987. Literally.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 12 January 2019, 18:54
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
Same, spot on actually.

I consider myself spiritual but not religious. And yes I am aware of how lame it sounds.
How many dream catchers are there in your house?
Old 12 January 2019, 18:57
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jangalang View Post
So you are saying that a pastor which has dedicated his life to the study of the Bible, studies the fathers of the church, studies the original languages of the Bible, and is being held responsible for those under him, will show you the same things as a brand new Christian?
I said "insight". It's amazing who you can learn from if you open your mind, I've learned from people here reading this thread. Some things I agree with, some things I don't, some things provoke you to think more, do more research, it's all good.
Old 12 January 2019, 18:59
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
How many dream catchers are there in your house?
Hey. Don't you judge me.
Old 12 January 2019, 19:07
True Origin Not Known

Bishop Fulton J Sheen. His presentations are on youtube. I was too young to follow him when he was active, but a friend had me watch a couple, and he is the real deal.

Are you fucking serious? That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard all week...and I'm at a senior staff planning conference, so, the bar has been set pretty high. You should be proud. - Gavin
Old 12 January 2019, 19:53
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
Hey. Don't you judge me.
That's funny because I just looked above the headboard! There are 6. Though cool...they don't work for crap.

I'm having difficulty not using profanity. I think I'll just read from here out.

Karl Childers
Old 12 January 2019, 20:18

anybody remember Lester Roloff?
Old 12 January 2019, 20:46
Authorized Personnel

I read a lot of John MacArthur. His biblical commentaries are fantastic, and he's got several different daily devotionals on his website, gracetoyou.org

He's ruffled some feathers in the past with some of his views, but he does a great job of really digging into the Bible and I tend to learn a lot when I read his commentaries.

Our new posting rules