SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Terrorism and Asymmetric Warfare

Old 24 April 2019, 19:35
Confirmed User

I think this whole issue with people hating on Christians is about Critical Theory, Marxism.. Its been a cancer within our country since the late 30's.
Old 24 April 2019, 20:35
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
...your post...
That's some pretty good, and scary, information. Touche'
Old 24 April 2019, 20:39
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm3e View Post
It'll be interesting to see how the Tamils respond, with 30 years of war slaughter under their belts its hard to imagine they're going to do the Western 'why do they hate us?' Routine.

Pretty sure it won't be the handwringing "woe is me", "ban guns" and a call to prayer from their PM...
Old 24 April 2019, 21:59
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
No one said our politics were germane to the situation in Sri Lanka.

As to the "elephant in the room" I submit there isn't an elephant in the room or even the reason for the failure to share information there. How about they just plain screwed up? Or how about the cocksuckers out planed and out executed the authorities? "Mature" gov means jack. If it did, we, the Brits, France and all the other countries they've killed people for not being of their belief system would have never happened.
Fair enough on the possibility jihadis out planned and found a situation to exploit, despite security measures in place or even just pure incompetence on the security forces part. Killing people in their house of worship is something they've done repeatedly. No denying that or that a well-functioning government is no guarantee against such attacks. Maybe I'm reading too much into the various factions within the government creating instability and ability to mitigate this specific incident; within days documents show information was passed along and that several members in the government were not informed, and government members acknowledging that may have played into this and apologizing is interesting. There is no zero risk situation and plenty of soft targets, similar to whats happened here, Europe, or around the globe.
Old 25 April 2019, 15:58
Confirmed User

One of Sri Lanka’s wealthiest people has been arrested on suspicion of helping his sons carry out the Easter Sunday terror attacks that left nearly 360 people dead.

Spice merchant Mohamed Ibrahim was arrested on Thursday afternoon, Sri Lanka’s former navy chief Jayanath Colombage, who now is a counter-terrorism expert at the Pathfinder Foundation, told the Associated Press.

He was one of the 58 people being questioned by police over the attacks.

Two of Mr Ibrahim’s sons, well educated brothers Inshaf and Ilham Ahamed Ibrahim, died in separate blasts at two Colombo hotels on Sunday.

Inshaf, 33, is believed to be the mastermind behind the deadly attacks, and died when he blew himself up at the Cinnamon Grand while standing in the hotel’s third-floor restaurant.

His younger brother Ilham blew himself up inside the Shangri-La.

Another of Mr Ibrahim’s sons was being questioned by police on Wednesday.

Holy shit. I mean, those aren't the first suicide bombers to be well off, educated, and successful, not by a long shot. But this is another level.
Old 25 April 2019, 18:52
Confirmed User

I'm in a weird situation on this topic....

My wife works next door to the 2nd Christchurch attack site and 2 dental patients she has seen and supported are among the confirmed dead.

My newest employee is an off the boat(legal) fella from Sri Lanka. Awesome guy.

He lived thru the Sri Lankan Civil War and described to me what the security situation was like from his perspective, as well as the corruption and poor practices of local Sri Lankan law enforcement and government.

Sounds like it was a pretty nutty place back in the day, and perhaps still.

I find the story where the wife of one of the bombers ambushed and killed 3 police officers conducting the inevitable followup with a suicide vest killing them, her unborn baby, 2 living children and herself pretty crazy.

Sucks about the LE guys, but at least she aborted her 3 future terrorists and herself.

A mere 5 weeks after the Christchurch attack is very little time to assemble such a complex attack in a claimed inspiration/response attack, not that it doesn't stop both the bad guys claiming it as well as the good guys using it as an excuse for failing to stop it.

Everyone I know who is shocked at how educated middle class/affluent people are the perps gets a suggestion from me to conduct basic research on the background and education of Che Guevara, Carlos the Jackel, the 9/11 bombers, Osama bin laden, Baader Meinhoff Red Army Faction, the Weather Underground, etc.

Educated, middle class/affluent, university/ideology based radicalisation.

Colonel Flagg, psychopathic guest star of M.A.S.H.
Old 25 April 2019, 19:47
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
A mere 5 weeks after the Christchurch attack is very little time to assemble such a complex attack in a claimed inspiration/response attack, not that it doesn't stop both the bad guys claiming it as well as the good guys using it as an excuse for failing to stop it.
This. I seriously doubt this attack had anything to do with Christchurch.
Old 25 April 2019, 21:13
Violence of Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar View Post
This. I seriously doubt this attack had anything to do with Christchurch.
Yep...it's easier for people to claim that as a reason other than some people -- and groups -- are simply evil and like to attack and kill innocent people.
Old 25 April 2019, 23:59
killjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
Yep...it's easier for people to claim that as a reason other than some people -- and groups -- are simply evil and like to attack and kill innocent people.
Many years ago, after 911, a lot of ignorant people would say that Islam terror attacks are happening because other countries meddle in their affairs and their countries. Then I go to my database and lay down a huge list of countries that have suffered Islamic terror and ask them what any of those countries did to get "retaliation". Silence.
Old 26 April 2019, 08:26
Confirmed User

My daughter was upset about China and their treatment of uighers. I told her she needs to check the other side, because there's always 2. I'm not super versed in the subject, but from what I know, the Han started moving into 'their' area, so they did the neighborly islamist thing (not Islamic, ok) and terrored things up a bit. China said 'nope', as they should, even if I don't like China either, and really don't like camps.

Our new posting rules