SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 20 July 2019, 00:12
Only slightly useless.

Back from BCT graduation!

Just got back tonight from attending my sons BCT graduation at Ft. Jackson and I have to say I've had a little bit of my Faith in people restored! I was able to meet and spend some time with some of the fine young men and women of his recruit platoon and their parents! There are still some who are willing to sign up to serve their country! These outstanding new soldiers are on the way to their advanced training and I wish each of them continued success!

" when life gives you lemons, make grape juice and confuse the hell out of them"
Old 20 July 2019, 00:44
Road Scum

Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 20 July 2019, 01:01
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeless Civilian View Post
Just got back tonight from attending my sons BCT graduation at Ft. Jackson...
Very cool, congratulations.

I went thru basic there in 1964, as did my son around 1964.
Old 20 July 2019, 07:13
been ***** **** that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole crusty bastard View Post
Very cool, congratulations.

I went thru basic there in 1964, as did my son around 1964.
Does that mean you are your own Grandpa?
Old 20 July 2019, 07:15
been ***** **** that

Quote:
Just got back tonight from attending my sons BCT graduation at Ft. Jackson and I have to say I've had a little bit of my Faith in people restored! I was able to meet and spend some time with some of the fine young men and women of his recruit platoon and their parents! There are still some who are willing to sign up to serve their country! These outstanding new soldiers are on the way to their advanced training and I wish each of them continued success!
That is cool, dude. Am glad there are still some squared away young soldiers et al. I have my doubts on a daily basis in my neck of the woods!
Old 20 July 2019, 07:53
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by schibbs View Post
Does that mean you are your own Grandpa?
Age, eyesight and "I mispoke", should of been; son around 1995.
Old 20 July 2019, 08:03
been ***** **** that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole crusty bastard View Post
Age, eyesight and "I mispoke", should of been; son around 1995.
I figured, but it was still pretty freaking funny!
Old 20 July 2019, 09:06
Authorized Personnel

Congratulations!!
Old 20 July 2019, 09:37
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Our oldest is headed to Infantry OSUT in 9 days. He's a bit apprehensive. Probably because of all the stuff I've told him.....

"Let us return to old times and that will be progress." - Verdi
Old 20 July 2019, 09:54
Only slightly useless.

Thanks guys! We're very proud of him! He's already arrived at AIT at Ft. Eustus. 15U, Chinook helicopter repairer! Then he'll be assigned to a NG unit here in Mississippi! This is his second go around at basic. Made it all the way through the first time but hurt his shoulder ( nothing serious but doofus didn't report it ) and didn't pass the final pt test! Spent the last three years trying to get back in and finally got all the paperwork snafus fixed and rejoined! ( They mistakenly had him with a unit in New York state )!
I expected to see changes in him but he's still my goofy little boy! You could see little things though that show he's matured and grown alot! The hard work he put into getting back in impressed me! He's wanted to serve since he was a kid! One proud set of parents here!😉

" when life gives you lemons, make grape juice and confuse the hell out of them"
Old 20 July 2019, 11:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthedesert View Post
Our oldest is headed to Infantry OSUT in 9 days. He's a bit apprehensive. Probably because of all the stuff I've told him.....
My son graduated a year and a half ago.

It was a very proud moment placing the blue cord on his shoulder.

Congrats!
Old 20 July 2019, 12:37
Been There Done That

Quote:
Thanks guys! We're very proud of him! He's already arrived at AIT at Ft. Eustus. 15U, Chinook helicopter repairer! Then he'll be assigned to a NG unit here in Mississippi! This is his second go around at basic. Made it all the way through the first time but hurt his shoulder ( nothing serious but doofus didn't report it ) and didn't pass the final pt test! Spent the last three years trying to get back in and finally got all the paperwork snafus fixed and rejoined! ( They mistakenly had him with a unit in New York state )!
I expected to see changes in him but he's still my goofy little boy! You could see little things though that show he's matured and grown alot! The hard work he put into getting back in impressed me! He's wanted to serve since he was a kid! One proud set of parents here!😉
Congrats! That's a solid MOS- aviation mechanics make a great salary on the civilian side of the house.
Old 20 July 2019, 13:58
Confirmed User

Congrats to you and your son.

That is a great MOS. I really wish I was even the slightest bit mechanically inclined so I could give a 15 series MOS a try.

Fort Eustis is a pretty good post for being a TRADOC base. There are a lot of great things to see and do in the area. I love the transportation museum on post.

I have to go to Fort Eustis next week to sit with finance in an attempt to clear up a $700 debt Uncle Sam hit me with.

I have only been to Fort Jackson for training at the 360th CA Brigade. I was there for a couple of weeks in 2014 and it was chaos. I cannot believe all the graduations they have each week.
Old 20 July 2019, 15:51
Only slightly useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoZeroSix View Post
Congrats! That's a solid MOS- aviation mechanics make a great salary on the civilian side of the house.
Thank you sir! That's part of his plan, but he intends on staying in for a long time! He's ever thinking about maybe trying to go full time Guard if possible!

Old 20 July 2019, 15:55
Only slightly useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osubuckeye762 View Post
Congrats to you and your son.

That is a great MOS. I really wish I was even the slightest bit mechanically inclined so I could give a 15 series MOS a try.

Fort Eustis is a pretty good post for being a TRADOC base. There are a lot of great things to see and do in the area. I love the transportation museum on post.

I have to go to Fort Eustis next week to sit with finance in an attempt to clear up a $700 debt Uncle Sam hit me with.

I have only been to Fort Jackson for training at the 360th CA Brigade. I was there for a couple of weeks in 2014 and it was chaos. I cannot believe all the graduations they have each week.
It was a mad house with all the graduates and families running around, and they do it every week! Our son had to stop and salute an officer about every 15 feet of so!

Old 20 July 2019, 16:26
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoZeroSix View Post
Make sure he's working towards his FAA A&P license. That's what civilian flight services need to see. IIRC, the military has means to translate his military training into an A&P license.
Old 20 July 2019, 17:44
Only slightly useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
Make sure he's working towards his FAA A&P license. That's what civilian flight services need to see. IIRC, the military has means to translate his military training into an A&P license.
Thank you Sir! I'll be sure to pass that along!

Old 20 July 2019, 20:39
Did...did I do that?

Outstanding. Congrats all around.
Old 20 July 2019, 20:46
Secure The Victory!

Congratulations to your son and his classmates.
Old 20 July 2019, 21:06
Six Minutes!

On the A&P thing...

I'm a former 15T, had very similar training to 15U. It's pretty difficult for that MOS to get the "powerplant" part of an A&P experience. Unless he spends quite a bit of time in the engine shop, getting the hours for the powerplant side of license is tough.

Also, when I was a traditional guardsman, I was looking around for an A&P helper job. I repeatedly heard "I don't hire Army trained mechanics" or variations of that. One of our pilots was the director of maintenance for a major helicopter operation in town. He explained that military mechanics are trained as parts changers, not as repairers. He elaborated- in the civilian world, they're trying to save money. Army mechanics are quick to condemn a part, and grab a new one. They aren't trained or conditioned to fix the individual part. (this is 100% true... at Ft. Eustis, we only learned how to replace parts. The TM's are mostly steps for removal and replacement of components).

As a guardsman, I encourage your son to hit up an old timer who is also an A&P in the civilian world (not a senior NCO full timer who's worked his whole life in government aircraft maintenance) for advice and mentorship. The contacts he can develop in the civilian maintenance world while working in the guard will be valuable.

Seven … six … eleven … five … nine-an’-twenty mile today
Four … eleven … seventeen … thirty-two the day before —

"Just remember son, 80% of the people in this world are fucking idiots"- My Dad

Our new posting rules