SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 21 July 2019, 05:12
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeless Civilian View Post
Just got back tonight from attending my sons BCT graduation at Ft. Jackson and I have to say I've had a little bit of my Faith in people restored!
Funny how that works, I feel the same way every time I attend one.

Congrats!
Old 21 July 2019, 11:29
Only slightly useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
On the A&P thing...

I'm a former 15T, had very similar training to 15U. It's pretty difficult for that MOS to get the "powerplant" part of an A&P experience. Unless he spends quite a bit of time in the engine shop, getting the hours for the powerplant side of license is tough.

Also, when I was a traditional guardsman, I was looking around for an A&P helper job. I repeatedly heard "I don't hire Army trained mechanics" or variations of that. One of our pilots was the director of maintenance for a major helicopter operation in town. He explained that military mechanics are trained as parts changers, not as repairers. He elaborated- in the civilian world, they're trying to save money. Army mechanics are quick to condemn a part, and grab a new one. They aren't trained or conditioned to fix the individual part. (this is 100% true... at Ft. Eustis, we only learned how to replace parts. The TM's are mostly steps for removal and replacement of components).

As a guardsman, I encourage your son to hit up an old timer who is also an A&P in the civilian world (not a senior NCO full timer who's worked his whole life in government aircraft maintenance) for advice and mentorship. The contacts he can develop in the civilian maintenance world while working in the guard will be valuable.
Thanks for the great info. I'll be sure to pass it along. First time around he was gonna be 15T. This time there were no slots available, but he's excited about the Chinooks!

" when life gives you lemons, make grape juice and confuse the hell out of them"
Old 21 July 2019, 11:35
Only slightly useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
Funny how that works, I feel the same way every time I attend one.

Congrats!
Thanks! And it wasn't just the recruits that impressed but their parents who obviously worked hard to raise them right. One of my sons best buds was named best soldier of their company. His dad is a full bird Colonel in the Marines assigned to Twentynine Palms! I asked him how he let his son join the army! He grinned and pointed to his wife. " I just blame her" he said!

" when life gives you lemons, make grape juice and confuse the hell out of them"

Last edited by Hopeless Civilian; 21 July 2019 at 11:36. Reason: Auto correct sux sometimes!��
Old 21 July 2019, 15:26

Congratulations! I'll be headed to Benning in a couple of weeks for my son's BCT graduation.
Old 21 July 2019, 19:37
Only slightly useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Me? View Post
Congratulations! I'll be headed to Benning in a couple of weeks for my son's BCT graduation.
It's gonna be hot so stay hydrated! Spend as much time with your son as you can! Be ready to see changes in him you wouldn't have expected! And be sure to pack the good toilet paper! Every hotel and restaurant we went to had the old "John Wayne" paper! Rough and tough and won't take crap off anyone!

Old 22 July 2019, 00:14

We're also from MS, so familiar with the heat. Already have seen several good changes through letters. I expect to see more. Thanks for the tip on the TP.
Old 23 July 2019, 09:55
Confirmed User

Wow, my son graduated last week at Ft. Jackson, too. Echo Company.

We got to drive him to AIT at Ft. Gordon and get him settled in. I was amazed at the number of bachelor and graduate degrees held by the soldiers. It was a great event for sure!
Old 23 July 2019, 10:09
0311/8651

Been to Benning graduation, Ft Gordon, Ft Drum-ex SIL was at each place.had the opportunity to see Ft Sill, Ft Hood, Ft Ord( SEAL buddy was DLI)
Old 23 July 2019, 10:37
Only slightly useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagnaippe View Post
Wow, my son graduated last week at Ft. Jackson, too. Echo Company.

We got to drive him to AIT at Ft. Gordon and get him settled in. I was amazed at the number of bachelor and graduate degrees held by the soldiers. It was a great event for sure!
Congratulations! Baker company here! Anyone who still believes the old stereotype of someone joining the army because their too dumb to make it in the real world is sadly mistaken! Discussions here on Socnet are proof of that!

Old 23 July 2019, 11:02

The Army is already, halfway through BCT, making mine smarter. He had read maybe 3 or 4 books in his life before shipping. Now he is borrowing and reading books from his fellow trainees and begging me to send him books. That's one of the positive changes I mentioned above. Kind of surprised he/they have time to read there.
Old 23 July 2019, 11:58
Did...did I do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagnaippe View Post
We got to drive him to AIT at Ft. Gordon and get him settled in.
We did the same for my son a few years ago. Very neat to be able to do that, since my parents never saw me graduate.
Old 24 July 2019, 19:46
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Took mine in for his Army shipment briefing today. Douchbag SFC recruiter doing a "courtesy ship" (he enlisted elsewhere) informs my kid that since he enlisted in DEP 2 months ago he gets nothing, whereas if he enlisted today he'd be getting a $40K bonus. I don't know WTF he was thinking doing that, "welcome to the Army, fuck you"? Didn't have him down as an E-2 due to his 2 years of HS JROTC either, which was "understood".

I can smell a fuck job coming.... they got me 40 years ago, and they are not getting him too.

Anyone with relevant experience please advise. He is seriously considering declining to report for shipment and then going over to the Marines.

"Let us return to old times and that will be progress." - Verdi
Old 24 July 2019, 21:32
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeless Civilian View Post
Congratulations! Baker company here! Anyone who still believes the old stereotype of someone joining the army because their too dumb to make it in the real world is sadly mistaken! Discussions here on Socnet are proof of that!
Bravo company unless your son is a lot older.
Old 25 July 2019, 06:40
Confirmed User

bobofthedesert

Good Morning.

Sorry to hear this is going on with your son.

When I was getting ready to ship out the second time after I re-enlisted after my break in service of 17 years, I remember being told that nothing mattered until you were sworn in and sign another form right before you shipped out from MEPS.

The second time around I thought I was getting jerked around, and I said screw it I wasn't going to go. I was 37 at the time and I had very little patience. (Funny it wasn't MEPS who was screwing me it would be my Civil Affairs unit who did it 6 years later. )

If he wants to switch over to the Marines, he will need to be released from the Army and then it should be an easy process since most of everything is already done.

Last edited by osubuckeye762; 25 July 2019 at 06:45.
Old 25 July 2019, 14:29
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Originally Posted by osubuckeye762 View Post
You post
Thanks for the input. Things are well in hand. Original recruiter and his CoC are addressing the issue. I would not want to be the guy we talked with yesterday.

"Let us return to old times and that will be progress." - Verdi
Old 25 July 2019, 18:58
Only slightly useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
Bravo company unless your son is a lot older.
Yep! My mistake! I blame it on being old and very low speed!

Old 25 July 2019, 20:42
Only slightly useless.

Heard from the son today! He's settling in at AIT! Small class, several of his friends from BCT are there with him and according to him, several of his instructors, senior NCO types, are wearing combat patches! ( I think that's the right term)! Red arrow head with a dagger inside! He's gonna have to bring his A game!

Old 25 July 2019, 22:51
The atomic zit

Good news!!!
Old 26 July 2019, 02:31
Red Headed Stepchild

Very cool.

OSU, did your son's bonus and rank get straightened out?
Old 26 July 2019, 11:31
been ***** **** that

That is some cool news with your boys beginning their training. While I did not care for the heat in Benning , AIT and Jump School were pretty freaking fun. I was a PT stud and the hardest part for me was helping my fellow E-1's who were not blessed with being athletic. Those guys had a way tougher time than I did , had to work much harder and humbled me with how much heart they had in the game. I did have a record in AIT at that time, 9:38 in the two miler in combat boots! My DS was a tabbed 173rd INF., I could do no wrong after that!

Our new posting rules