SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 20 July 2019, 12:57
Shakin' the bush Boss

Headed for Alaska

So, two of my retiree buds and I are flying to Alaska on 15 Aug. We're renting an RV and we're going to do in no particular order Kenai, Seward, Talkeetna, Homer, Denali and maybe some other shit once we get on the ground. We're going to do some fishing and I'm shipping up a box of gear and fishing shit so I don't have to fly with it. We're staying three weeks.

Any of you nanuks of the North give a southern fatboy bass fisherman advise on what kind of fishing shit to ship up so I don't send a bunch of stuff I don't need?
Old 20 July 2019, 13:27
Drawing my cutlass

Have fun!

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 20 July 2019, 13:43
Been There Done That

This should be epic.

“Here, hold me beer....”

Sounds like a good adventure/great time.
Old 20 July 2019, 13:48
Shakin' the bush Boss

The best part, one of us (not me) is a total non-drinker due to meds. Not only do I get three weeks in Alaska, I get it with a full time DD.

"Bear eats drunken redneck" Details at 11.
Old 20 July 2019, 13:55
Been There Done That

Enjoy.

Karl Childers
Old 20 July 2019, 14:01
Six Minutes!

I'm not much of a salmon fisherman, except an occasional troll for kings in the winter in the ocean. Summer fishing is too crowded for me.

I believe that you're going to be on the back end of the Sockeye run, and the beginning of the Silver (Cohoe) run for the Kenai.

Here's a rundown of Silver fishing:
https://www.alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/silver-salmon

I personally prefer fly fishing for trout on creeks the tourists can't get to, or spin casting, trolling for trout on a particular lake that doesn't get much traffic.

Do you plan on taking a charter out of Homer? If so, they provide all the gear. Late summer is the high time for Halibut, that's when most of the big ones are caught (but the big ones don't taste as good).

Hopefully the fires are better under control by the time you get here, there's a particularly large on on the Kenai, which is making it pretty smoky depending on which way the wind is blowing.

Seven … six … eleven … five … nine-an’-twenty mile today
Four … eleven … seventeen … thirty-two the day before —

"Just remember son, 80% of the people in this world are fucking idiots"- My Dad
Old 20 July 2019, 14:41
Shakin' the bush Boss

Yeah, we're going to charter a few days and dink around on the rivers and creeks where we can. I'm sure being in an RV is going to limit our access to a lot of things. We're going to target trout a few days, salmon a few days and halibut/cod a few days.
Old 20 July 2019, 16:14
Been There Done That

Oh yeah. The bears are ornery-er than where you live. Watch your top knot.

Karl Childers
Old 20 July 2019, 16:20
Shakin' the bush Boss

I don't even own a wheel gun. I'm going G17 style. If he can survive that many 9mm's and still eat my ass I guess it's just my time. Plus, I'm pretty sure I can outrun the two dudes I'm going with.

PS, I still have a pretty good top knot. My front knot is fading fast.
Old 20 July 2019, 19:31
Authorized Personnel

I am truly envious. I sincerely hope that y'all have the time of your lives. Happy fishing....
Old 20 July 2019, 19:34
Authorized Personnel

Alaska's awesome in the summer. I haven't been to the areas you mentioned, but it sounds like a great trip.
Old 20 July 2019, 20:39
Did...did I do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
Plus, I'm pretty sure I can outrun the two dudes I'm going with.
Save the last two rounds for them. Problem solved.
Old 20 July 2019, 20:59
Shakin' the bush Boss

Austrailian Peel on a bear.
Old 20 July 2019, 21:17
Six Minutes!

Standard Public Service Announcement on RV'ing in Alaska...

Driving in AK in the summer can be maddening. Most of the roads are 2 lane, some with passing lanes in the straightaways. It's VERY common for RV's to drive 35-45 in the curves, then speed up to 65 in the straightaways where you can pass. What inevitably happens is that a stack of vehicles will be stuck behind an RV... a short passing area opens up for half a mile, and it's a race at 80 mph + to get around the RV. To make matters worse, many people take the entire passing lane to get around the RV, screwing everyone behind them (they have to wait another 20-30 minutes for a chance to pass).

AK has a law that if there are 5 or more vehicles behind you, you have to pull over (regardless of how fast you are going).

We have a lot of head on crashes up here due to people getting pissed off and trying to pass when they shouldn't because of slow (or worse, inconsistent) drivers.

Drive whatever speed you want, but please be considerate of people just trying to get home or to work (yes, people actually live and work at random times and places in seemingly rural areas).

Not singling anyone out of course.

Old 20 July 2019, 22:11
Anesthetized User

You are bringing halibut to Idaho, right?

It don't come easy.--Ringo Starr

"And all that remains is the faces and the names of the wives and the sons and the daughters."--Gordon Lightfoot.
Old 20 July 2019, 22:16
Shakin' the bush Boss

Only if a local doesn't run me off the road and kill me.
Old 21 July 2019, 00:25

Amen brother. I live in Anchorage with a cabin near Trapper Creek.
Old 21 July 2019, 00:32

Visiting RV drivers are infuriating. Be careful and also remember that the the shear size of Alaska lulls one into the belief that things are a lot closer than they actually are. Another tip, download the "Alaska 511" application which will show you highway construction zones, accidents, and other useful info. Alaska has two seasons: Winter and Construction Season. That can mean one-way traffic on two-lane highways with pilot cars, which can really slow down your journey! Stop at Sheep Creek Lodge at Parks Mile 88 on your way north! Great food, drink, and owners!
Old 21 July 2019, 00:57
Six Minutes!

Quote:
Only if a local doesn't run me off the road and kill me.
Gsniper,

I hope I didn't come off as an ass with my post about RV's. It was not my intent.

I just put that out there as a general piece of advice for anyone visiting. It's not just a tourist/local thing either. Some local weekend warriors with RV's, boats, travel trailers, etc. are just as bad, if not worse than tourists. I think it mostly stems from ignorance and lack of SA.

I wish I could help you more with advice, but I'm not into the kind of fishing that a visitor can do. I can however mention some of the places tourists like to go to fish:

In Homer, of course halibut fishing is the main attraction. Try to get on a "six pack" boat (boats that are only licensed for 6 passengers). On a six pack, you have far more leverage on what kind of fishing you want to do, and what fish you want to target. Larger "party boats" are generally short half day charters where they take you to their normal hole a short distance from the harbor, and you get "ping pong paddles" (small halibut). With a six pack, you can also target Ling Cod, and maybe even troll for Kings, although summer has low success for King trolling.

Also in Homer is the "fishing hole." It's a lagoon in the spit, with returning runs of stocked fish. It's gravel shore fishing with lots of company, but if they're running, you can have fun.

Further north is Anchor Point. The Anchor River has a nearby campground, and has lots of people fishing for salmon.

Continuing north is Deep Creek. Similar to the Anchor River, beach/mouth of river camping with salmon.

Further up is Soldotna / Kenai. This is the mouth of the Kenai River. Pretty built up area, with difficult access to the river for the shore / rod fisherman unless you hire a guide.

Next, is the Swanson River area. If you have a canoe, or inflatable, the trout fishing on these lakes is freakin awesome. This is a National Wildlife Refuge, so no wheeled vehicles off the road, or motorized boats. When I was new in AK, I brought a light flyrod, and an ultralight spin caster with a canoe to the Swanson River lakes system. I spent an entire summer camping and fishing. The fish are small, but plentiful and tasty. Downside this year is that there's a major forest fire just to the east, and I'm not sure how access is right now.

Near Sterling is also access to the Skilak Lake area, and the middle kenai river. Never fished this area, but lots do.

In Cooper Landing, the Russian River and the Upper Kenai tend to be the most popular with the Anchorage weekend warrior crowd, and guided tourists. Beautiful area, but last several weekends, the smoke from the Swan Lake fire was pretty darn bad.

North of Anchorage, the Parks highway is popular for salmon and trout. Most people I see fishing are at Willow Creek, and Montana Creek. IIRC, rainbows are catch and release only on the Parks.

I hope you have a great time... If you run into any serious problems, I can do what I can to help, just PM me.

I forgot to mention, if you are a retiree, Ft Richardson MWR has boats, fishing gear, and camping gear to rent for very reasonable prices. To rent a boat, you have to watch a corny hour long safety video. If your RV can tow, might be worth a look. Also for retirees, the Seward military rec camp has a campground and charters for much cheaper than the commercial rate (but your're going to have an E-4 on special assignment "guiding" you versus a local).

Last edited by Akheloce; 21 July 2019 at 01:08.
Old 21 July 2019, 01:36
Never to old to learn

Quote:
So, two of my retiree buds and I are flying to Alaska on 15 Aug. We're renting an RV and we're going to do in no particular order Kenai, Seward, Talkeetna, Homer, Denali and maybe some other shit once we get on the ground. We're going to do some fishing and I'm shipping up a box of gear and fishing shit so I don't have to fly with it. We're staying three weeks.

Any of you nanuks of the North give a southern fatboy bass fisherman advise on what kind of fishing shit to ship up so I don't send a bunch of stuff I don't need?
Let me contact a old school friend that runs a fishing boat up their. I will PM you when an if I get an answer.

Our new posting rules