SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 24 July 2019, 08:33
been ***** **** that

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering_idiot View Post
I suppose you'll have to stop by the Alaskan Bush Co. and look at some of the other local 'wildlife'.
I drank beer all night many years ago in the Lariat saloon with a Bush pilot from Alaska. She was on vacation, and she was gorgeous. She probably still wants me.....
Old 24 July 2019, 15:11
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
Banned on the east side of the inlet including Ninilchik for quite a while now. Still OK on the west side.
Good intel. Thank you for clearing that up. My info is dated.
Old 25 July 2019, 06:14
Take care

Just came in off a charter in Seward with some family.

First things first, go online and purchase, print, and sign your fishing licenses today. Go to this site: https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/Store/
You can select the dates/times when you want it to be valid, and purchase in advance. The F&G website also has good fishing reports

If I were you I’d hit the Seward Resort, an MWR outfit, where you can rent all the fishing gear you need including waders and rods as well as tackle for pennies on the dollar, I’m talking like $3 a day for waders, etc. An RV spot is like $15 or something like that. Ask the front desk folks about snagging and get the latest report of where you can slay King Salmon and Coho (Silver) Salmon which should be running around that week. The local Ace Hardware has up-to-date fishing reports. There’s a local spot called McDonalds on Nash Road and a spot by the town RV park known for snagging. In Seward, avoid Ray’s Waterfront restaurant, they have better food and service at the “food court” across the street. SeaSalt and Klondike pizza are great restaurants in Seward for a dinner out. The mil resort also has a processing house where you can fillet, clean, vacuum seal, store, and ship your fish for 1/4 the price of other business in the tourist driven town.

Other spots in the Kenai are the Russian River which is great for salmon fishing, and the world famous Kenai river of course is amazing. Lower Summit Lake has an awesome little campground which offers $100 sea plane glacier and bear viewing tours. As you make your way north, stop by the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center, it is $15 a head and you can see bears, moose, foxes, deer, elk, reindeer, bison, etc. roaming around.

In Anchorage, the only things to really do is visit the fur shops and check out the statue of Balto on 4th Ave. It’s not much, but it is authentic Alaskan history. Places to grub in Anchorage include: The Moose’s Tooth pizza/wings/beer, Simons and Seaforts’ steak house (killer happy hour everyday) and Paris Cafe (lunch burgers are the last nights steaks ground up). Leaving Anchorage or staying near Anchorage, the Eagle River Campground is a great place to stay near Anchorage but far enough away to actually be camping.. it’s a wooded campground on the river with hookups, but Walmart is only about 10-15 minutes away). Just past Anchorage is the Eklutna Tailrace, great for that “Alaskan fishing experience” which is a stocked semi-man made waterway which has a lot of Silvers and Kings right now.

If I were you I wouldn’t pack much other than clothing and basic gear as costs can soar on airlines for additionally checked bags and specialty checked items like rods, firearms, etc... We have hardware stores and camping stores and, of course, Walmart. You can get anything you forgot here.
Anything you need you can get here in places like Anchorage, Eagle
River, Seward, Wasilla, and Palmer. Walmart has bear spray for $35, rods and tackle for cheap, including Pixies and Spin & glo’s and salmon roe for cheap bait and tackle. Again, go to Walmart for all of your gear and tackle and don’t run anything less than 20lb test.

I’ve got a 10mm with bear load you can borrow when you reach Anchorage. Be bear smart and moose aware as others have posted.

Talkeetna is a hippy town with art galleries, panhandlers, craft beer, hitchhikers, and rainbow flags on every business that’s about a hour out of the way on the road to Denali. Better food near Talkeetna is the little Thai place called My Moms Thai, and the Brown Bear coffee stand at the Talkeetna turnoff from the main highway (the Parks Highway). It’s this fantastic little Thai spot in the least likeliest of places. They are from Bangkok, and after having lived in Thailand for four months I can vouch for this place, for being in the middle of nowhere Alaska it's damn good.

Denali is cool, full of beauty, with tons of campgrounds. There is a little bar outside of Denali proper called The Perch that is a solid little bar open til 3 am (the only thing open that late up there). My active duty buddy drank practically free all night, as the bar tender had an appreciation for servicemen who fought for this nation. I’d definitely hit that spot if I were you. Once you’re in Denali, you can drive your RV about 15 miles into the park before you are stopped. There are plentiful hiking trails and sights to see from there. If you want to venture further there is a bus tour that takes you the full 90 some-odd miles into and around Denali. We did not do the bus tour as we heard from other locals that it was kind of a scam, and a long 8 hours trapped in a bus with little breaks and surrounded by who knows who annoying tourists. Although, that may be your kind of adventure as they guarantee wildlife viewings. We saw plentiful moose just doing our own thing.

My final advice is don’t ship your fish or game commercially (unless through the Seward Mil Resort). Buy the $12 insulated boxes at Walmart and pay the checked bag fees on your return trip to bring 50lbs home with you. Finding a place to freeze it prior to shipping seems to be the crux of that operation, but shipping through the tourist traps will cost you anywhere between $200-600... maybe another local has the trick on where to store/freeze your catch on the cheap.

Enjoy your visit, and PM me if you have any additional questions. Sorry for the long post, but everytime I was almost done I remembered something I wish I knew when I first got here. Only a year in, but I’m not wasting any time learning the lay of the land.

You’re going to love it here.

Last edited by justamedic; 25 July 2019 at 06:30.
Old 25 July 2019, 06:36
Shakin' the bush Boss

Thanks for all the info justamedic. We shipped a couple of boxes with our waders and fishing reels and tackle and all that shit this week. We'll buy rods when we get there. We're going to amble about and just go where the wind blows and the fish are biting. Your info is certainly helpful!
Old 25 July 2019, 06:49
Take care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
Thanks for all the info justamedic. We shipped a couple of boxes with our waders and fishing reels and tackle and all that shit this week. We'll buy rods when we get there. We're going to amble about and just go where the wind blows and the fish are biting. Your info is certainly helpful!
No problem, enjoy!
Old 25 July 2019, 06:54
A lost ball in high weeds

We did the RV thing a few years ago. Awesome trip. At Homer, take the ferry over to Seldovia. Great halibut fishing.

Get a copy of the Milepost 2019 (on Amazon). Lots of intel on Alaska and geared toward the RV traveler.
https://www.amazon.com/MILEPOST-2019...s%2C334&sr=8-1

If you take the 44mag, Bufflalo Bore 4D ammo is the way to go, IMHO.

Have a great trip!
Old 25 July 2019, 14:55
Take care

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semp View Post
Get a copy of the Milepost 2019 (on Amazon).
Oh yeah, The Milepost is a MUST. I forgot about that.
Good call.
Old 25 July 2019, 19:03
Never to old to learn

the Seward Mil Resort). Flash Freeze the fish in packets with no Air in them. Still frozen when I got them home.

I think that is the correct term. I am trying to think how far back it was when I was there.

justamedic there use to be a dock close by that you could fish from.

Last edited by wildman43; 25 July 2019 at 19:05. Reason: wording/spelling
Old 25 July 2019, 20:11
Been There Done That

Don't forget your pills against mosquitoe death.

Karl Childers
Old 25 July 2019, 23:27
The atomic zit

I have 1/2 an idea he can live in the bush for a week or six.
Old 26 July 2019, 00:13
been ***** **** that

The Grizzwold's fishing adventure!
Old 26 July 2019, 00:15
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
I have 1/2 an idea he can live in the bush for a week or six.
I have 1/2 an idea he can drink Yuengling for a week or six.

We killed 3 cases in 2 & 1/2 days last time remember?

Karl Childers
Old 26 July 2019, 04:07
Take care

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman43 View Post
the Seward Mil Resort).

justamedic there use to be a dock close by that you could fish from.
Yes, you can do it all there. Fillet, vacuum seal, freeze, store for free up to 5 days/$10 per day after, and then ship on a predetermined date overnight to your house. Will arrive still frozen solid. Bar/restaurant on the property, and even a community grilling area (if you don’t have your own or just want to shoot the shit with other travelers and talk about the monster King salmon you already had mailed ).

There are many places nearby there to fish, indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
Don't forget your pills against mosquitoe death.
No mosquito pills needed here, just spray to keep from getting the itch. One of the good things about Alaska is there is no mosquito borne illness, no venomous spiders, no snakes, no ticks, etc. and if you run into one freak of nature you’d be in rare company.
Old 26 July 2019, 04:12
Been There Done That

I heard the Squatches can be aggressive there. So, there's that.

Karl Childers
Old 26 July 2019, 04:19
Take care

Quote:
I heard the Squatches can be aggressive there. So, there's that.
BOLO for Squatch and have your 45/70 ready at all times.
Old 26 July 2019, 04:29
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by justamedic View Post
BOLO for Squatch and have your 45/70 ready at all times.
I'm gonna be a rich man or murderer one day if I see one.

Karl Childers
Old 26 July 2019, 19:56
Take care

Gsniper, bring your rain gear. That warm, sunny, record breaking heatwave weather you all were hearing about on the news is gone.
Old 26 July 2019, 20:07
Shakin' the bush Boss

Yeah, I've embraced the suck enough in my life. I own good rain and cold weather gear.
Old 26 July 2019, 20:29
Anesthetized User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
Yeah, I've embraced the suck enough in my life. I own good rain and cold weather gear.
I just dropped a grip of cash on nice Sitka rain gear. I plan on being comfortable and very dry. Even grabbed one of the newer Army sleeping bags.

It don't come easy.--Ringo Starr

"And all that remains is the faces and the names of the wives and the sons and the daughters."--Gordon Lightfoot.
Old 26 July 2019, 20:46
The atomic zit

Quote:
I have 1/2 an idea he can drink Yuengling for a week or six.

We killed 3 cases in 2 & 1/2 days last time remember?
I remember some hippie cabbage, some brown water, and the canoe with no keel.

Oh yeah, and the fact that I thought you wanted dead bait, so I brought you one. We should put that little joker in cast iron, fully bathed in bacon juice... :D

Our new posting rules