SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 7 August 2019, 11:47
Make a desert and call it peace.

Life is hard, bad shit happens, defend yourself, nobody else is responsible for you, but you.

Nothing bad that happens makes gun control acceptable. How many school children will I allow to die before I allow gun control? All of them.

None of the fuckers proposing gun control at the political level give the first fuck about dead people as people, they're tools to accomplish what they care about, which is taking guns(power) away from their political enemies. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.”
- Robert E. Lee
Old 7 August 2019, 11:50
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by havok88 View Post
But what do we really want them to do? We get angry because they don’t act on the “red flags” so they propose a law allowing them to do so, and we say it violates people’s rights, because well, it does. If there wasn’t a crime that would affect his firearms ownership, then there is no failure. all that we are left with is “this is a really fucked up individual” which is not a justification to take go take someone’s guns.
I don't know Ohio Law, or Federal Law. Seems to me if 2 Spec4's could be charged with terrorism for lighting off an Arty Sim at 3AM in an empty parking lot - this loser committed some felony, somewhere? If not, yea, your right - but my lord, if there was ever a case for "creative charging" from a local DA - it's this.

"threatened to shoot up the school" - not a felony?

"she handed her phone over to authorities so they could see threats he sent her." - not a felony? (but god forbid two 16 year olds send nudes!!!! - but I digress).

"had texted her a copy of the rape list" - not a felony?

Back in the day, this fuck would have turned up in a river, c/o a brother or father of one of those girls.
On February 20, 2018, President Trump issued a memorandum instructing the Attorney General “to dedicate all available resources to… propose for notice and comment a rule banning all devices that turn legal weapons into machineguns.”

“I like taking the guns early, like in this crazy man’s case that just took place in Florida ... to go to court would have taken a long time”

“Take the guns first, go through due process second”

"Or, Mike, take the firearms first, and then go to court"
Old 7 August 2019, 11:50
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicDamien View Post
It's a conundrum, for sure.

My only hypothesis is to make shit like the response to mass shootings so unpalatable, so horrific, that people just willingly say to themselves "well, fuck that"

Target their families in the aftermath. 95% of it stops, starting tomorrow. But, that sounds an awful lot like a war which sucks, but at what point do the gloves come off?
Short of some “government knows best” liegiskation, I don’t think there is anything to do, other than make sure we do our part to protect ourselves and our loved ones.
Old 7 August 2019, 12:04
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post
The dude shot his sister. You think going after the shooter's family is a deterrent? Do you think that anyone planning a mass shooting is giving fuck one about their family?
Not exactly.

Do you have a better idea? Or would it be more spitballing, as I just did?
Old 7 August 2019, 12:06
Confirmed User

Quote:
Short of some “government knows best” liegiskation, I don’t think there is anything to do, other than make sure we do our part to protect ourselves and our loved ones.
All I know, or think I know, is that the response to a mass shooting needs to be abhorrent, so abhorrent that the perpetrator prays every second of every day that the punishment stops, IMO that's the only reasonable option to deter these buttholes.

Last edited by BionicDamien; 7 August 2019 at 12:17.
Old 7 August 2019, 12:16
Administrator

Great, we want to fight and defend our rights, and to do so we use a word that will come across as bigoted and piss off more people unnecessarily.....

Tighten your shot group.
Old 7 August 2019, 12:18
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
Great, we want to fight and defend our rights, and to do so we use a word that will come across as bigoted and piss off more people unnecessarily.....

Tighten your shot group.
Sorry SB, fixed.
Old 7 August 2019, 12:27
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
I don't know Ohio Law, or Federal Law. Seems to me if 2 Spec4's could be charged with terrorism for lighting off an Arty Sim at 3AM in an empty parking lot - this loser committed some felony, somewhere? If not, yea, your right - but my lord, if there was ever a case for "creative charging" from a local DA - it's this.

"she handed her phone over to authorities so they could see threats he sent her." - not a felony? (but god forbid two 16 year olds send nudes!!!! - but I digress).

Back in the day, this fuck would have turned up in a river, c/o a brother or father of one of those girls.
I wouldn’t think a list would be a felony, and I am not very familiar with Ohio law either, but it look like the threats are only a misdemeanor. Do we start prosecuting every person that makes a threat? Didn’t Madonna threaten to blow up the White House with no consequences?
Old 7 August 2019, 13:49
Clorox bearer for SOTB

Quote:
I wouldn’t think a list would be a felony, and I am not very familiar with Ohio law either, but it look like the threats are only a misdemeanor. Do we start prosecuting every person that makes a threat? Didn’t Madonna threaten to blow up the White House with no consequences?
Didn't another pose with the decapitated head of our POTUS, with the same consequences?

Just imagine, if you will, if anyone did that to our former POTUS...

...but laws don't apply to them.

If gun control laws controlled crime, we wouldn't need cops.
Quote:
Finally, I believe that punishing lawful gun owners by creating new, more onerous laws, and restricting Constitutionally guaranteed rights, when we already don't enforce the tens of thousands of gun laws we have on the books, is like beating your dog because the neighbor's dog shit in your yard.
"The Reaper"
Old 7 August 2019, 14:39
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by grog18b View Post
Didn't another pose with the decapitated head of our POTUS, with the same consequences?

Just imagine, if you will, if anyone did that to our former POTUS...

...but laws don't apply to them.
Exactly. Of course if either of them actually did manage to kill POTUS, then people would say they should have acted on the threat. And I can understand that, but it has to be within the law, we can’t just have government going around taking guns from people because they decided on their own it’s the right thing to do.

What’s much crazier to me is that someone can shoot up a school and kill 5 people, and be free less than 10 years later, only to kill again. But once again, that’s how the law is written. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/07/30/1998-arkansas-school-shooter-dies-head-car-crash-police-say/1864734001/
Old 7 August 2019, 19:31
Old and Broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicDamien View Post
It's a conundrum, for sure.

My only hypothesis is to make shit like the response to mass shootings so unpalatable, so horrific, that people just willingly say to themselves "well, fuck that"

Target their families in the aftermath. 95% of it stops, starting tomorrow. But, that sounds an awful lot like a war which sucks, but at what point do the gloves come off?
If a cop has a bad shoot do we target their family?
Old 7 August 2019, 19:38
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by SN View Post
Pretty sure that's nothing new.
Old 8 August 2019, 07:31
BTDT

Quote:
Again, maybe FuKing can join, but:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terroristic_threat
On February 20, 2018, President Trump issued a memorandum instructing the Attorney General “to dedicate all available resources to… propose for notice and comment a rule banning all devices that turn legal weapons into machineguns.”

“I like taking the guns early, like in this crazy man’s case that just took place in Florida ... to go to court would have taken a long time”

“Take the guns first, go through due process second”

"Or, Mike, take the firearms first, and then go to court"
Old 8 August 2019, 07:47
BTDT

Quote:

"We" dont - you know the 'royal we' but the media targets them - hell the media targets them when they have GOOD shoot
The left is a treasonous movement. The Democrats became a treasonous organization when they fell under the sway of a movement that rejects our system of government, its laws, and its elections. Now their treason is coming to a head.
- Daniel Greenfield
Old 8 August 2019, 08:11
Pirate and Rogue

Quote:

In Georgia its called Terroristic Threats and Acts. It is a state charge, and believe me. the local 5.0 WILL charge you with it.

Stupid should be a medical diagnosis - Texan

Being smart does not guarantee success, but being stupid practically guarantees failure - GSniper
Old 8 August 2019, 08:19
Been There Done That

Looks like it is being confirmed the shooter was a member of Antifa.
Old 8 August 2019, 08:24
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Looks like it is being confirmed the shooter was a member of Antifa.
I saw this as well. I wonder if this will be the event that gets them designated as a terrorist organization.
Old 8 August 2019, 08:28
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keganswar View Post
I saw this as well. I wonder if this will be the event that gets them designated as a terrorist organization.
But, but, but Trump is encouraging white nationalist racist bigoted movement and empowering the KKK and neo-Nazis!

It is the NRA’s fault!
Old 8 August 2019, 10:36
Confirmed User

Quote:
I categorise a bad shoot and a mass shooting as apples and oranges, but no and you're right. Point taken.
Old 8 August 2019, 10:58
Been There Done That

Quote:
Again, maybe FuKing can join, but:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terroristic_threat
Poly,
I don't like where this whole process has gone.
It used to be someone could shoot of their mouth about blowing up work, or say "I'd like to eff her" and life went on.
Threats made coupled with an apparent ability, that caused fear of imminent harm in others were always actionable as crimes.
Attempts, where one could show a criminal intent and steps towards completion of that act were always actionable.
Conspiracy, where two or more persons shared a plan to commit a crime and one of them performed an overt act towards the crime, were always actionable.
But communicating, attempts and conspiracy law morphed especially in the AA/EEO arena where making a victim uncomfortable became administratively actionable. Then adding an element of "hate" to enhance criminal sanctions came in. It is to the point I don't recognize much of what all is going on.
I am pissed at a report this morning that the FBI monitoring social media notified local law enforcement of a potential threat. The FBI is not supposed to be monitoring people without a specific predicate - and they don't have plenary police power - our federal government is of limited jurisdiction. In my way of thinking, state and local law enforcement is where this "lead" should have come from. In small states lacking resources, the federal government's role is to give the state/locality a grant. Don't get me wrong, if the FBI wants to track terrorist cells made of up persons tied to foreign governments, fine, but we seem to have forgotten how we got in trouble monitoring the anti-war movement in the late 60s and the controls put in place after the Church Commission.
Sorry, I got to get off the soapbox -
v/r
fkl

Our new posting rules