SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 11 August 2019, 12:51
Voodoo guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoZeroSix View Post
In order to get your wages garnished, they have to take you to court from what I understand. At the court hearing could you not merely provide evidence that the debt had been paid to the judge?

Maybe time to get a lawyer.
Yes, that is what's supposed to happen, but the rub is that you are not notified of that court hearing. Because if I had the opportunity to go in front of a judge, this would not be happening. It's also been the reason that they have 10 class action lawsuits listed against them.

"Let's make this weird", ~Mike2CW
Old 11 August 2019, 13:29
Make a desert and call it peace.

If no officer of the court served you notice of the court hearing, how the hell can you be held to account? This seems crooked even by my Chicago court standards. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.”
- Robert E. Lee
Old 11 August 2019, 13:40
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoFiveMike View Post
Boomer Gen is 1946-1966, so 2019-1966=53. Math is hard, right? You could have just googled it, unlike the kids in the 1990's picking colleges/careers, having to rely on their elders, who straight up cornholed them.

Coincidentally, union electrician I was talking to at the block party last night was complaining about all the ancient assholes who just won't retire, clogging it up for the younger guys; there's inadequate apprentices because the boomers won't leave. As well as simply being hazardous, slow and decrepit. And then the cops started in about the old fucks who have to be forced out with age limits, and then some come back as unsworn civvie employees.

So maybe you should talk to more blue collar actual Americans.

ChokeU2 should lawyer up, probably also talk to the ombudsman at his Congresscritters office. S/F....Ken M
I'm sure you can cherry pick whatever shit google search fits your deranged worldview, but the rest of the country understands that the "Baby Boom" occurred immediately after WWII, and hence "Boomers" were always associated with the generation that fought Viet "fucking" Nam and who were hippies that later bought Audis.

1966 was well into the begining of Gen-X. While Generations span a long period of time, most people who were of age during the 1960s ARE LIKE FUCKING 70 NOW. Get that through your head. If you are 53 years old right now, you are straight up in Generation X.

Quote:
Generation X (or Gen X) is the demographic cohort following the baby boomers and preceding the Millennials. Demographers and researchers typically use birth years ranging from the early-to-mid 1960s to the early 1980s.
Old 11 August 2019, 13:49
Voodoo guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoFiveMike View Post
If no officer of the court served you notice of the court hearing, how the hell can you be held to account? This seems crooked even by my Chicago court standards. S/F....Ken M
Brother, this is exactly why there are 10 federal class action lawsuits against this outfit. While I happen to be caught up in this, I am FAR from the only one. There are quite literally hundreds of thousands of people in the EXACT same position that I am in. THIS is the student loan issue behind the crisis.... NOT, the kids who simply don't want to pay it back, or asking for free college. That's political kabuki theater to run cover for this.

The US Federal Government, in conjunction with banks are running what amounts to legalized predatory lending scams. The fed has spent years slaughtering pay day loan vendors and sending their officers to prison, all the while running the same scam, free from prosecution.

The shade that they get via the theatrics that most people see, is used to obfuscate THIS issue.

So here is an update. I just spoke to an attorney that at least was able to tell me the first step to take in my particular case. And that is this, since I need to have a garnishment stopped.

"If a judgment was entered and the defendant was not served the issue can be contested based on lack of service; a motion to vacate judgment can be filed and that would void the wage garnishment as well"

She also mentioned that since I have been recovering from a nasty brain injury for over a year and a half, that diminished capacity may be considered to for additional legal weight.

The only variable is that it could take weeks for an injunction to stop the garnishment.

BTW EchoMike, I have a lot of blue collar in my family too.

Last edited by chokeu2; 11 August 2019 at 13:50. Reason: edited to add more context
Old 22 August 2019, 10:24
33,024 - R.I.P.

In my best Letterkenny voice; "Sooooo, there I am watching the news the other day..."

I hear that President Trump is going "ease requirements" for veterans student loan forgiveness. I'm thinking, "Cool, he's going to lower the requirements to **% instead of total disability." Nope. Just going "ease" the requirements. WTF does that mean?
Old 22 August 2019, 10:32
Voodoo guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
In my best Letterkenny voice; "Sooooo, there I am watching the news the other day..."

I hear that President Trump is going "ease requirements" for veterans student loan forgiveness. I'm thinking, "Cool, he's going to lower the requirements to **% instead of total disability." Nope. Just going "ease" the requirements. WTF does that mean?
For most of us, it means not one damn thing. It's a great thing for a select few vets, likely only Post 911 vets; and more power to them. Good for them. I damn sure envy them.

*update: My firm actually tried to step up and block this, but they can only do so much. They fired off a debt validation from our legal department, and got completely ignored, as I have for years. But that was the extent they could do.

Old 22 August 2019, 11:04
33,024 - R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chokeu2 View Post
...It's a great thing for a select few vets, likely only Post 911 vets; and more power to them. Good for them...
I agree with that, and am glad this is available to them. The loan forgiveness for total disabled vets has actually been for quite some time now. IIRC, since around 2010. The point to my post was; what does "easing requirements" mean? There isn't a whole lot they have to do now other than presenting the loan company with a VA letter stating their 100% disability and filling out the application on the Fed Loan site.
Old 22 August 2019, 11:13
Voodoo guru

Quote:
I agree with that, and am glad this is available to them. The loan forgiveness for total disabled vets has actually been for quite some time now. IIRC, since around 2010. The point to my post was; what does "easing requirements" mean? There isn't a whole lot they have to do now other than presenting the loan company with a VA letter stating their 100% disability and filling out the application on the Fed Loan site.
Totally agree. And there is no point in figuring what those easements are. I would not be the least bit surprised if these loan providers choose to ignore the VA letters. This mess exists because they've ignored debt validation and payment acknowledgments for YEARS.

Old 22 August 2019, 11:20
Been There Done That

Expedites the process, helps cut through the red tape. And would probably apply more so to pre 9/11 veterans.
Old 22 August 2019, 11:26
I reckon so. . .

Quote:

According to him, the requirements to qualify (read, get your paperwork completed and accepted) were like jumping hurdle after hurdle. He wants more of an expedited process for those veterans.
Old 22 August 2019, 11:30
I reckon so. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by chokeu2 View Post
For most of us, it means not one damn thing. It's a great thing for a select few vets, likely only Post 911 vets; and more power to them. Good for them. I damn sure envy them.

*update: My firm actually tried to step up and block this, but they can only do so much. They fired off a debt validation from our legal department, and got completely ignored, as I have for years. But that was the extent they could do.
You do know this is about loan forgiveness for those that have 100% disability serving this country, right?
Old 22 August 2019, 11:41
Voodoo guru

Absolutely, and that is f'ing outstanding. I hope that those to whom this seems to be aimed at, get every bit of the benefit. Not my intention to sound as if I was begrudging this.

My agenda on the topic, is for access to those of us who have paid (I've paid mine 2.5 over), to either forgiveness because we've fucking paid, or at least a chance to be heard in court.

Old 22 August 2019, 11:55
I reckon so. . .

Right. Got cha.

I can't imagine being in your shoes regarding this thread. Hopefully somewhere the .gov will smell money to be had from those .orgs that fucked vets like you and do the magic wand again.

Of course can only happen at the speed of gov, LOL.
Old 22 August 2019, 13:24
Never to old to learn

I just posted a copy of the information in VETERANS area on the site.
Old 23 August 2019, 12:43
Been There Done That

This is a slight tangent to this thread, so maybe it'll become its own larger evaluation on the need for or utility of degrees.

We have a generational lack of understanding for education and the costs associated with it, because generationally not only the value of a degree has changed but the price tag associated with it.

If a common state school offered people a four year undergraduate education for $Xk in the 60's and 70's, it went up to $XXk in the 80's and 90's.

During the time period up to the 90's a bifurcation happened in which you could be a skilled laborer making a perfectly livable wage without a formal college education. Then technology exploded and with that education access and availability. Online schools, legit and fraudulent, promising to get the next generation ready for today's job markets helped many existing schools rebrand themselves as "better" than the online schools. Ipso facto they attached higher price tags and since more people had access to easy lending and education...more people got degrees.

Unfortunately the value proposition is fucked. Your degree that costs more, is actually less valuable because of the supply of people with degrees, and salaries haven't increased significantly to offset this drastically inflated cost you're assuming.

I live and work in Silicon Valley. I often comment that there's an educational arms race taking place here. Almost every single person I work with has a Bachelors. Most are either working on or have already completed their Masters degrees. I'm not immune to it though I held out hard on even considering advanced education. If you want a job at one of the companies that are paying top dollars in the US economy you need to compete with legions of applicants. The company I service receives more applications in a month than the CIA does in a year. Let that sink in for a moment.

So where does that leave the younger workforce that from the time they were in 7th grade realized that they HAD to go to college? And which one -preferably an Ivy league. Maybe a top state school. They understand that to get a job at one of the top three consulting/tech/energy/finance/robotics companies...they are unlikely to be considered if they graduated from UC Sacramento. Or some state school where they live.

So if they didn't get into one of the top schools in their area or across the nation, they now need to figure out if they can get into a top-tier graduate school. If they do, it's almost certainly worth it because at least they're competitive. So they'll get a chance to start at $100k in one of the companies they want to work for. The debt...well you'll deal with it later when you're liquidating stock or what not to move along.

This is the new American reality for Gen Y and Z. To say that they're just a bunch of immature kids getting degrees in East Asian Philosophy at Yale, who can't honor their commitments, is an oversimplification that fails to account for what this means in reality. Many of them get degrees that they're told will make them competitive in the fields they choose at...17, maybe 18 years of age? Who in the fuck knows what they're going to do at that age? You know what you're interested in doing right now, but the vast majority of us have iterated well beyond our adolescent dreams.

Add in the social imact that debt has: Less marriages, less home ownership, less retention at companies in everlasting pursuit of more money, more suicide, more drugs, more of all the bad shit we hope our kids don't fall into.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot

Last edited by MixedLoad; 23 August 2019 at 12:48.
Old 23 August 2019, 21:05
Take care

Mixedload, great post. Very accurate from the student side.
Old 23 August 2019, 21:17
Been There Done That

Quote:

As I read it, it only applies to Vets rated 100% Permanent and Total. Furthermore, they were already covered under prior provisions of the law but the application process for them had been thoroughly screwed up by Dept of Education and VA. It mentioned only 25,000 of them that are rated P&T were covered by what was ordered by POTUS.

The prior efforts by Pelosi and Reed to nationalize student loans have led to a large segment of the society hoping for relief for the bad loans the govt administers and the degrees they got that don't allow them to gain meaningful work. That is what the deep state wanted, in order to "buy" votes.
I'm going to predict that relief will come in small steps to certain segments such as vets (then 1st responders, then teachers, down the line) until the federal government forgives them all. The nationalization of the loans was an effort to collapse it all and it will gradually come to that. JMHO.
Old 23 August 2019, 22:34
Been There Done That

I paid mine off and keep every piece of paper I received from them. I put the one that said I had paid in full in a safety deposit box for almost 10 years.

William Tecumseh Sherman-
I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast.
Old 24 August 2019, 10:45
athlete in disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fu King Lawyer View Post

The prior efforts by Pelosi and Reed to nationalize student loans have led to a large segment of the society hoping for relief for the bad loans the govt administers and the degrees they got that don't allow them to gain meaningful work. That is what the deep state wanted, in order to "buy" votes.
I'm going to predict that relief will come in small steps to certain segments such as vets (then 1st responders, then teachers, down the line) until the federal government forgives them all. The nationalization of the loans was an effort to collapse it all and it will gradually come to that. JMHO.
There is already a student loan debt forgiveness system for public service employees like fire, police, and teachers.
Old 24 August 2019, 10:48
Authorized Personnel

Rereading this thread; I just noticed this line.
Quote:
Fortunately for me, I get loan forgiveness after 10 years of Fed service.
Do you know if this applies to all loans, public and private?

Our new posting rules