SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 15 August 2019, 07:12

Who Watches Your Stuff While You're Away???

Sorry for the weird sounding post - but am looking for some advise?

In the past when I worked overseas, it was a matter of going through the usual BS, packing, and heading to CRC or just getting on a really long airplane ride (or two or three) someplace...

Now some years later my situation has changed considerably - there's no Ex at home, friends have scattered to other parts of the country, no one knows anybody who needs a place to stay, etc.

I've had a couple of opportunities to work OCONUS pop up now and then - but basically I have a house full of stuff and no good plan in place to handle the mail / cut the lawn / feed the cat / shovel the driveway / chlorinate the pool / and deal with trees falling onto the neighbor's lawn or driveway as I had in the past...

From those I've met who have rented out their house while gone or simply locked the front door and left there seem to be more stories that ended up badly than ones where things actually went OK. Those are the times when a water line breaks, you get a scammer who doesn't pay rent (or trashes the place), or your Homeowners insurance gets cancelled because the place is empty...

How have others done it?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Jeff
Old 15 August 2019, 08:39
Back on The Farm

I am doing home caretaker for someone now. I do all of the things listed in your post, plus take care of a dog also. I stay on the property. I am considering doing this as a job, but not as a live in. I think that if I have three or four clients I can manage it easily as long as I do not have to travel more than a hour or so.
Since I rather enjoy yard work it is right up my alley. The only thing I haven't been able to do is clean gutters, but most people aren't too worried about that to be honest.
Honestly the toughest thing is the pool. It can be a royal pita. But I do my best to keep chem levels balanced and I do have an electric vacuum so I do not have to get in the pool.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet." Gen. Mattis

"Definition of insanity: Letting the government dictate what the Amendment designed to control the government - means." - Polypro

"The rules only apply when something is going wrong." -Me

"When are you gonna come down?
When are you going to land?
I should have stayed on the farm
I should have listened to my old man" Elton John

Last edited by KimberChick; 15 August 2019 at 08:40. Reason: typos
Old 15 August 2019, 08:45
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Ed View Post
Who Watches Your Stuff While You're Away???
Google, the BATF, the FBI, and the NSA for starters, but for all intensive purposes those are the same group of people.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 15 August 2019, 09:24
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
Google, the BATF, the FBI, and the NSA for starters, but for all intensive purposes those are the same group of people.
Heh heh heh...awesomeness, Mr. Snowden.
Old 15 August 2019, 10:04
Been There Done That

Put a Big ISIS or Nazi Flag in front of your house. Then the FBI, local police and the ATF will watch your house for you, free of charge.
Old 15 August 2019, 10:07
Freelancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Put a Big ISIS or Nazi Flag in front of your house. Then the FBI, local police and the ATF will watch your house for you, free of charge.
Hahahahaha! In my area there are a lot of second homes. Folks will hire a caretaker to check on things turn heat up etc. Most are well established insurance etc.
Old 15 August 2019, 11:07
The atomic zit

I have neighbors that I trust. I asked him to keep a watch on the house as I was gone for a few days. I was sitting in the den, and saw him walk around. He just checking to make sure nothing was broken.

We also have a decent resource for people that get paid to watch the house. Typically not gone that long, but a local KimberChick could be of help.

Other than that, turn off the water.

You can single source it or other. If you have neighbors, get them to park their car in your driveway.

Good luck with your pending gig!

S
Old 15 August 2019, 11:44
Clorox bearer for SOTB

I thought that was "Jodi's" job? Fucking slacker.

If gun control laws controlled crime, we wouldn't need cops.
Quote:
Finally, I believe that punishing lawful gun owners by creating new, more onerous laws, and restricting Constitutionally guaranteed rights, when we already don't enforce the tens of thousands of gun laws we have on the books, is like beating your dog because the neighbor's dog shit in your yard.
"The Reaper"
Old 15 August 2019, 12:27
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by grog18b View Post
I thought that was "Jodi's" job? Fucking slacker.
That fucker only comes over when the wife is home.
Old 15 August 2019, 12:31
Been There Done That

You could install cameras and pay for remote monitoring or do it yourself. Critical systems can be easily monitored remotely these days like using smart home technology. Contract out grass cutting and maintenance then keep them honest by checking their work with the cameras.

You could even install a smart lock to allow contractors temporary access to the house in the event of a burst pipe, heater malfunction etc.
Old 15 August 2019, 12:50
Confirmed User

what about using a property management company?
Old 15 August 2019, 15:32
Been There Done That

Use combination of smart home features (cameras, locks, lights, thermostats, etc...), have a friend drop in every now and then to do physical stuff (clear newspapers, move car into drive away for a day or so, put out trashcans) and have lawn services taken care of professionally (when you’re home too).
Old 15 August 2019, 18:42
Confirmed User

For the camera monitoring system,,,I have a Blink. Wireless, free app, easy to turn on and off, has a mic, etc... https://www.amazon.com/s?k=blink+cam...l_68bjgsy43q_e
Old 15 August 2019, 20:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Lol! I'm thinking that actually might just work :)
Old 15 August 2019, 20:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardo View Post
what about using a property management company?
This might not be a bad idea - I always kind of thought they managed rental properties, but I imagine for the right price they'll do anything?

But knowing me, I'm such a cheap-ass that I'd probably end up staying home once they gave me a quote...
Old 15 August 2019, 21:33
Ghey floor sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberChick View Post
Honestly the toughest thing is the pool. It can be a royal pita. But I do my best to keep chem levels balanced and I do have an electric vacuum so I do not have to get in the pool.
The pool is actually the easiest if no one is using it. Just jack up the chlorine level to 10ppm using off-the-shelf bleach and nothing will survive in it. Then it’s sweep and vacuum. The chlorine will burn off to “safe” levels in a couple weeks if you don’t stabilize it with cyanuric acid. And the water will be crystal clear. Worry about balancing chemical levels a week before people return. But for extended absences, nuke it and forget it.
Old 15 August 2019, 23:20
Hard to Kill

HH6, I am gone some years 150+days. I can barely get her out of the driveway sometimes.
Old 15 August 2019, 23:53
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Ed View Post
This might not be a bad idea - I always kind of thought they managed rental properties, but I imagine for the right price they'll do anything?

But knowing me, I'm such a cheap-ass that I'd probably end up staying home once they gave me a quote...
I have several friends who have second homes in FL who use property management companies to maintain the homes while they’re up north.
Old 16 August 2019, 03:41
been ***** **** that

I took care of others estates, critters, horses, etc for most of my years in the mountains. I never got paid for it as it was for friends who needed someone to trust with their property and animals.. It was a cool getaway for me as I lived in a tourist town.
Old 16 August 2019, 04:54
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janitor View Post
...a week before people return.
If you can get a neighbor to sort of keep an eye on things helps too. Many lawn care people only 'care' about the snowbird's grass when it's time for them to return.

Our new posting rules