SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 20 August 2019, 05:41
Authorized Personnel

That hair was important to him. I'll bet that he will find many things in his future that are also important and be able to hold on to them.

My wife made matching leisure suits for my son and me. We had to wear them leaving Okinawa.
Old 20 August 2019, 06:23
Isiah 52:13-53:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by schibbs View Post
I am thankful I did not wear one of my leisure suits to MEPS that fine day late 70's!
My mom made my brothers and me our leisure suits. My dad thought it was hilarious and told us we will wear them for Christmas. He was yucking it up until she said she was making his next. Made out of 100% polyester. Mint green and turd brown. I have picture of them. We get a good laugh every time we get together and remember those 70s years.

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

A little science estranges one from God. A lot of science brings one back. -Francis Bacon
Old 20 August 2019, 07:34
been ***** **** that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenonburnout View Post
My mom made my brothers and me our leisure suits. My dad thought it was hilarious and told us we will wear them for Christmas. He was yucking it up until she said she was making his next. Made out of 100% polyester. Mint green and turd brown. I have picture of them. We get a good laugh every time we get together and remember those 70s years.
I had to wear mine on stage in the touring choir . It was embarrassing, I looked like a dweeb!
Old 20 August 2019, 07:40
been ***** **** that

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowzers View Post
My Dad's friend told me he showed up to Paris Island just after Korea for basic with a ducktail hair cut and a pack of smokes in his sleeve. DI's were not impressed. He did give me his Santeen cover before I left for basic fifty years later that I still have.
That was a cool look though, much better than me showing up in ghey looking mega bellbottoms!(I had big feet, regular bells looked dorky on me) I mailed that crap home, I would have been run through a gauntlet if I had been caught wearing that stuff.
Old 20 August 2019, 22:03

Had been on active duty about 3 hours in the summer of 68 and it is hair cut time at Ft. Campbell. The barber next to me, a 101 ABN vet from Normandy according to his tats, handed the kid next to me his 5 lb. afro, in one piece, and told him to drop it in the trashcan on the way out the door.

Oh yea, the next eight weeks were interesting!
Old 20 August 2019, 22:17
Isiah 52:13-53:12

Quote:
I had to wear... It was embarrassing, I looked like a dweeb!
This we also have in common

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

A little science estranges one from God. A lot of science brings one back. -Francis Bacon
Old 21 August 2019, 00:07
Confirmed User

Quote:
That was a cool look though, much better than me showing up in ghey looking mega bellbottoms!(I had big feet, regular bells looked dorky on me) I mailed that crap home, I would have been run through a gauntlet if I had been caught wearing that stuff.
My mom made my brother and I some sweet seersucker suits when we were kids.
Old 21 August 2019, 08:57
Rocket Surgeon

If he takes a 6 year enlistment:
$40k 11X enlistment bonus
$10k Airborne contract bonus
$16k Quick Ship (< 30 days) bonus

I'm sure he is indeed happy. Very cool of him to donate his hair, though. That's a legit charity and makes a huge difference for a lot of sick girls.

"Butch up, prom queen"
-Wench
Old 21 August 2019, 09:23
Been There Done That

And to think most of us older guys here got nothing out the promise of $400 a month for college if we put $100 a month in. ; )

The above bonuses with 100% tuition room and board in university afterwards - that is a good ten year plan!!!
Old 21 August 2019, 09:41
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowzers View Post
My mom made my brother and I some sweet seersucker suits when we were kids.
1976 school pictures, my Mom got me and all my brothers and sisters patriotic Garanimals, for the Bicentennial. IE: White pants, red long sleeve shirts and blue vest'.........I was in 3rd grade and was like no f'ing way I'm wearing this faggotry. I stashed a #12 Joe Namath jersey in my backpack and changed over on my way to school. She was pissssssssssssed a month later when the pictures came in the mail.
Old 21 August 2019, 10:50
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Believeraz View Post
If he takes a 6 year enlistment:
$40k 11X enlistment bonus
$10k Airborne contract bonus
$16k Quick Ship (< 30 days) bonus
Yeah...I didn't see those kinda numbers.
Old 22 August 2019, 04:47
been ***** **** that

Those are some fairly decent incentives for a young man or woman to enlist, if one is looking for a challenge and an adventure. Heck yea! I do not recall any incentives except getting to look like the badass Ranger in the wall hanging! Oh, and the $55 dollars a month in jump pay!

Our new posting rules