SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Terrorism and Asymmetric Warfare

Old 22 March 2018, 08:02
BTDT

This kid was f'n dumb and reined for 19 days - imagine a smart mf'er. As usual, just like numerous clued in people have said about catching criminals since time immemorial - it's the boring 'beat the pavement' work by detectives that catches them - in this case, visiting *every* place that sells nails around Austin. Nice work men.
Old 22 March 2018, 08:05
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
Reading the news this morning about his confession. The media almost seems disappointed that he's just a run of the mill crazy person, not a white supremacist or homophobe or never-Trumper. Just fuckin crazy. I guess just crazy is boring.
Be thankful, I was absolutely f'n AMAZED that I didn't hear 1 peep about the Al Quesadilla's or the ISISezzzzz - hopefully that means we are returning to some semblance of sanity in this country.
Old 22 March 2018, 08:17
Just A "Less Than"

As usual, LE releasing information that the public doesn't need to know.

Way to go gentlemen, give away all your TTP's...that way, next time they can be used against you!
Old 22 March 2018, 08:22
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agoge View Post
As usual, LE releasing information that the public doesn't need to know.

Way to go gentlemen, give away all your TTP's...that way, next time they can be used against you!
The public already knows - check the Technology forum. Hell, this idiot probably knew and *still* blew it off and f'd up anyway - just like gloves didn't make fingerprints obsolete. This is "fall asleep in the get-away car" stuff IMO.
Old 22 March 2018, 08:24
Just A "Less Than"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
The public already knows - check the Technology forum. Hell, this idiot probably knew and *still* blew it off and f'd up anyway - just like gloves didn't make fingerprints obsolete. This is "fall asleep in the get-away car" stuff IMO.
No doubt...to me and you and the "tech" types.

But, to a large part of society...not so much. It's "scary good" to know just what a lot of people don't know about what they don't know....
Old 22 March 2018, 10:22
Policeman Officer

Why talk about capabilities and investigative techniques when you don't have to? Dumb.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 22 March 2018, 10:45
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
Why talk about capabilities and investigative techniques when you don't have to? Dumb.
Same reason as always probably - votes, funding, and bragging rights. This one would have been a good one to shut up on though, the details won't be in publicly obtainable court documents.
Old 22 March 2018, 12:29
Policeman Officer

Yup, that's why they do it. Ridiculously irresponsible.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 22 March 2018, 16:37
On the Extract Bird

Havent kept up to date on all of it as i havnt had internet.
But i am glad he was killed as from what i could tell it seemed like he was still perfecting/trying alternatives and improving the devices. (much like we do up in the mountains)

Unless its been released and i missed it, i would assume he kept using smaller devices as he either wasnt happy with the results or wasnt 100% confident in making the primary explosive compound/detonators or the actual design of the device itself. if he wasn't caught and ended up becoming more comfortable with making larger amounts (assuming it wasnt flash or BP etc) it could have been far worse. Especially if he got comfortable or was able to make larger amounts of the explsoive (assuming he was using TATP,azide based or fulminates etc etc)especially considering the availability of getting the precursors through online sources.

again assuming he just wasnt using bp or flash etc etc but was actually doing chem work.
Old 23 March 2018, 03:24
Psalm 91:2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
They're releasing more than we need to know.
That’s what I thought. I’m no expert & just a civvie but I immediately thought “no need for this tech story to get out.”

And I thought they had to have a number to even begin to trace the call. The other was “was this guy that damn stupid as to give a cell number to the FEDEX folks.”

And WTF with the FEDEX employee there? I’ m assuming someone was there because every FEDEX place I’ve walked into had employees present.

So if that was me working there and knowing there’s a serial bomber on the loose and packages were involved and then some guy walked into the place wearing a wig, ball cap and gloves after he left I would immediately call law enforcement & that package would never have made it on the conveyer belt.

Tolerating evil leads only to more evil. And when good people stand by and do nothing while wickedness reigns, their communities will be consumed. Bob Riley
Old 23 March 2018, 06:33
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda1961 View Post
That’s what I thought. I’m no expert & just a civvie but I immediately thought “no need for this tech story to get out.”

And I thought they had to have a number to even begin to trace the call. The other was “was this guy that damn stupid as to give a cell number to the FEDEX folks.”

And WTF with the FEDEX employee there? I’ m assuming someone was there because every FEDEX place I’ve walked into had employees present.

So if that was me working there and knowing there’s a serial bomber on the loose and packages were involved and then some guy walked into the place wearing a wig, ball cap and gloves after he left I would immediately call law enforcement & that package would never have made it on the conveyer belt.
People are generally stupid in nature. Your make a good point.

Apparently, this kid just hated life in general & apparently everyone else.

How did he think he would get by with this? There is a camera somewhere about every other business these days. Cameras monitoring highway traffic. Everyone has a fucking smartphone. And what...500 agents working this. Drones in every PD. Of course, the old cell phone triangulation. Tracing C/C purchases.

Dumbass. Good Riddance.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist

Our new posting rules