SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Medical

Old 20 January 2020, 20:11
Drawing my cutlass

China confirms new coronavirus can spread between humans

This may be a big deal considering it's the Chinese New Year and a lot of potential vectors will be flying all over the world. SFO, LAX, JFK and EWR will be the touchdown points here. I'm supposed to head to Thailand and Malaysia at the end of March and beginning of April and I will be closely monitoring the virus's spread.

Link here.

Quote:
Beijing (CNN) A mysterious respiratory virus that has killed at least three people and sickened more than 200 in China can be transmitted between humans, a Chinese government-appointed expert has said, fueling fears about the possibility of a deadly epidemic as millions prepare to travel for the Lunar New Year holiday.

Zhong Nanshan, head of the team set up by China's National Health Commission to investigate the pneumonia-like virus, confirmed that at least two cases had been spread from person to person and medical staff had also been infected.

Authorities had previously said that the new strain of coronavirus, which was traced by health officials to a seafood market in the central Chinese city of Wuhan, was primarily passed from animals to humans.

But at least two people have become infected in recent days, despite living hundreds of miles from Wuhan.

"The current cases show there is definitely human-to-human transmission," Zhong told Chinese state-run CCTV, explaining that two people in China's Guangdong province were infected by a family member who had recently returned from Wuhan.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 20 January 2020, 21:00

Pleeeeeeaasssseeee be legit this time. 😆
Old 20 January 2020, 21:43
SOCNET Moderator

Wonder if Tamaflu or Relenza is effective in preventing the virus?
Old 21 January 2020, 00:28
Legal Immigrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie View Post
Wonder if Tamaflu or Relenza is effective in preventing the virus?
Nope, just drinking copious amounts of Corona...
Old 21 January 2020, 04:43
BTDT

Yup, get ready for SwineEbola, where the President won't vaccinate his own kids with the "cure" for the slaves. Yawn.

What Research Facility did this one escape from?
Old 21 January 2020, 05:41
Authorized Personnel

I'm in this neck of the woods and people are getting antsy. 4th death today. BBC report from the other day cites UK medical experts saying there are likely >1,700 cases - not the 218 the ChiComms are reporting.

Kung Hei Fat Choi!
Old 21 January 2020, 05:46
Been There Done That

I survived E coli. Fucking bring it.
Old 21 January 2020, 07:24
Freelancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post

What Research Facility did this one escape from?
No shit, goddamn commies.
Old 21 January 2020, 10:04
Hard to Kill

Gents, don't get lazy and put everything in the Lounge. This is clearly a medical issue. Moved.
Old 21 January 2020, 10:06
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
No shit, goddamn money grubbing pharmaceutical fucks who think they're smarter than they are.
The last one was at Baxter's Austrian Orth-Donau facility - no communists there.

Quote:
Baxter: Product contained live bird flu virus
2009-02-27, Toronto Sun

The company that released contaminated flu virus material from a plant in Austria confirmed Friday that the experimental product contained live H5N1 avian flu viruses. And an official of the World Health Organization's European operation said the body is closely monitoring the investigation into the events that took place at Baxter International's research facility in Orth-Donau, Austria. The contaminated product, a mix of H3N2 seasonal flu viruses and unlabelled H5N1 viruses, was supplied to an Austrian research company. The Austrian firm, Avir Green Hills Biotechnology, then sent portions of it to sub-contractors in the Czech Republic, Slovenia and Germany. The contamination incident, which is being investigated by the four European countries, came to light when the subcontractor in the Czech Republic inoculated ferrets with the product and they died. Ferrets shouldn't die from exposure to human H3N2 flu viruses. Public health authorities concerned about what has been described as a "serious error" on Baxter's part have assumed the death of the ferrets meant the H5N1 virus in the product was live. But the company, Baxter International Inc., has been parsimonious about the amount of information it has released about the event. On Friday, the company's director of global bioscience communications confirmed what scientists have suspected. "It was live," Christopher Bona said in an email. Accidental release of a mixture of live H5N1 and H3N2 viruses could have resulted in dire consequences.
Old 21 January 2020, 10:34
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
Pleeeeeeaasssseeee be legit this time. 😆
I know better, but:

What?
Old 21 January 2020, 15:32
SOCNET Moderator

Fox News is reporting the first reported USA case in Seattle, WA.

“At least one person in the United States is infected with the mysterious pneumonia-like virus that’s killed at least six people and sickened some 300 others since the illness was first reported in the Chinese city of Wuhan.”
Old 21 January 2020, 15:57
Never to old to learn

2020 is the Chinese year of the RAT, does it have anything to do with the new coronavirus

Last edited by wildman43; 31 January 2020 at 01:09.
Old 21 January 2020, 16:47
Drawing my cutlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie View Post
Fox News is reporting the first reported USA case in Seattle, WA.

ďAt least one person in the United States is infected with the mysterious pneumonia-like virus thatís killed at least six people and sickened some 300 others since the illness was first reported in the Chinese city of Wuhan.Ē
Saw that. Also, ORD and ATL are on the screening list now.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 22 January 2020, 09:44
Been There Done That

https://www.amazon.com/Contagion-Mar...=contag&sr=8-1

Old 22 January 2020, 09:45
Been There Done That

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
I know better, but:

What?
Yeah, seriously?! DD, you want a plague to kill thousands, maybe even millions?! Many of us here have friends and family, not to mention humanity in general, in China and Asia.
Old 22 January 2020, 13:26
Confirmed User

Where I work is often "tip of the spear" for the CDC regarding Asia-generated illnesses (for a couple reasons). Our leadership is taking it seriously, and the ED and student health leadership have been briefed.
Old 22 January 2020, 14:48
Confirmed User

I’m definitely in the camp believing a nasty pandemic is in humanity’s future, a somewhat safe and inevitable bet.

But don’t these things tend to mutate towards lower mortality than higher mortality?

Mortality rate seems really low, thankfully.

So wouldn’t this fall under possibly disruptive rather than probably destructive?

We still seem to be a jillion miles away from the mostly local/regional impact of the Asian Flu 1956 and Hong Kong Flu 1968, although it touched Europe and US West Coast.

I wonder if anyone has tried modelling what would have happened with the 1956 and 1968 Flus if they had the global travel and logistics velocity and distribution we have today?

They were bad, but no where near apocalyptic. Perhaps the lack of global logistics & travel back then was the biggest fire break preventing distribution.

Movement of people in China back them was more foot/bicycle than today’s bullet train/jet(global travel).

Back then few left the country, today millions do each and every month.

Half seriously, I wonder if investing in publicly traded online meeting platforms like Zoom would be an effective hedge against pandemic?

Colonel Flagg, psychopathic guest star of M.A.S.H.
Old 22 January 2020, 17:05
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Flagg View Post
Iím definitely in the camp believing a nasty pandemic is in humanityís future, a somewhat safe and inevitable bet.

But donít these things tend to mutate towards lower mortality than higher mortality?

Mortality rate seems really low, thankfully.

So wouldnít this fall under possibly disruptive rather than probably destructive?

We still seem to be a jillion miles away from the mostly local/regional impact of the Asian Flu 1956 and Hong Kong Flu 1968, although it touched Europe and US West Coast.

I wonder if anyone has tried modelling what would have happened with the 1956 and 1968 Flus if they had the global travel and logistics velocity and distribution we have today?

They were bad, but no where near apocalyptic. Perhaps the lack of global logistics & travel back then was the biggest fire break preventing distribution.

Movement of people in China back them was more foot/bicycle than todayís bullet train/jet(global travel).

Back then few left the country, today millions do each and every month.

Half seriously, I wonder if investing in publicly traded online meeting platforms like Zoom would be an effective hedge against pandemic?
Statistical modeling produces some scary stuff. Modeling shows that had the flu of 1918 occurred in 2000, it could have killed 8 times as many, or roughly 600-800 million.

Mortality and virulence is a funny thing with these diseases. >60% of people with H5N1 die, but it isn't easily spread between people and really hard to catch and transmit.
Old 22 January 2020, 23:24
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildoc View Post
Statistical modeling produces some scary stuff. Modeling shows that had the flu of 1918 occurred in 2000, it could have killed 8 times as many, or roughly 600-800 million.

Mortality and virulence is a funny thing with these diseases. >60% of people with H5N1 die, but it isn't easily spread between people and really hard to catch and transmit.
Yikes

Colonel Flagg, psychopathic guest star of M.A.S.H.

Our new posting rules