SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 21 July 2016, 21:01
Calculating Infinity...

Mossberg Maverick 88

A friend of mine picked one of these up for $189. Apparently it's priced so favorably b/c the FCG(Fire Control Group) is made in Mexico. Anyone have any experience with these or have an opinion on whether an outsourced FCG on an otherwise American made shotgun makes much of a difference if you're trying to save a few bucks?
Old 21 July 2016, 21:07
Glorified Babysitter

I bought one about 3 years ago and I haven't had a single issue with it yet. I've only put about 300 shells through it, but it has held up well. I bought it with the intention of it being a home defense shotgun on a budget and it is serving its purpose well.

My only gripe about it is the safety which is located near the trigger guard, rather than on the top of the receiver like other Mossbergs such as the 590 series. Other than that, I am impressed with it thus far.
Old 21 July 2016, 21:27
Calculating Infinity...

Thanks, I've heard similar issues people have with the safety being in a different spot.
Old 22 July 2016, 07:58
Been There Done That

I always found the Mossbergs a little ricity. Kinda loose on the slide/forearm. Function was good. Always been hooked on the 870, but recently picked up an old Winchester 1200 pump.. Have it at the shop getting better sights on i.. It has the winchoke. I got 1 xx turkey choke for i.. Matter of fact I have about 5 Remington choke tubes (2 badass Turkey chokes tubes included) if anyone has some winchoke tubes to trade

(NO HIJACK INTENDED)

Last edited by 1RiserSlip; 22 July 2016 at 07:59. Reason: addition
Old 22 July 2016, 10:33
Confirmed User

It's decent for the price. I've used mine in a few 3-gun matches and had no issues; however, I tried several different brands of snap cap style training/dummy rounds to practice reloads, and had a lot of trouble with all of them getting hung up/stuck. Best bet there is to have someone who reloads make you some dummies w/ no powder or primers (I was going to do that but it got put on the back burner)
Old 22 July 2016, 14:09
Road Scum

Bought one in 2005. Still have it and it runs like a champ. Will say that it is a little rickety but no issues

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 22 July 2016, 14:29
Calculating Infinity...

Thanks for the replies, fellas
Old 22 July 2016, 17:36
In From The East

If I remember correctly Maverick was Mossbergs budget line. Personally I've never been a Mossberg fan although there are many that like them. I have always hung my hat on the 870. I have literally dropped my 870 in the swamp, picked it up, shook it off and kept killing ducks. Of course I did have to knock ice off of it every once in a while.
Old 22 July 2016, 18:12
Make a desert and call it peace.

For $190, it's probably close to the best value for home defense utility. What else you going to get for the same $? Some beat to death Remington that a farmer had in his barn for 20 yrs? Some pot metal Saturday night special?(Lorcin, Davis,Hipoint, etc) I signed for 3 Mossberg 500's in OIF and they worked fine the entire deployment, breaching and turret crew less lethal with birdshot. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.”
- Robert E. Lee
Old 22 July 2016, 18:59
In From The East

Here is a pretty nice used 870 after doing a hasty search for $249. I'm sure you can find better deal if you dig a little deeper. Your money, your choice.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/93415155...PRESS-12GA.htm
Old 23 July 2016, 12:00
Make a desert and call it peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamppirate View Post
Here is a pretty nice used 870 after doing a hasty search for $249. I'm sure you can find better deal if you dig a little deeper. Your money, your choice.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/93415155...PRESS-12GA.htm
Plus shipping, plus $20(or more) for FFL transfer. I won't argue that the Remchester's are nicer, that would be wrong. But for ppl with no $$, it's not the worst choice. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.”
- Robert E. Lee
Old 23 July 2016, 12:45
Doing What Grunts Do

For the money, you certainly can't go wrong. My son has one that he bought solely for home defense purposes. It serves its purpose well. If that's what you want one for, you wouldn't be making a bad deal.
Old 28 June 2018, 17:12
The atomic zit

Saw one for sale flyer this weekend. It was at sports authority for 179 or 189.

A Sports Authority search brings up Dick’s.

Called a local Mossberg dealer, and he said similar to their 500 with smaller, thinner metal, and some parts made in China. After reading this thread and talking to the dealer, I can see how rickety might come into play.

He said he moves about three used 500s a month at around $200 a pop.

Our new posting rules