SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 21 June 2014, 18:02

I've got two Maks. One is Russian and another East German. They're definitely utilitarian but very serviceable in the same class as a .380. They can easily be made reliable with some basic polishing in the obvious locations.
Old 22 June 2014, 06:45
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by lww View Post
. They can easily be made reliable with some basic polishing in the obvious locations.
The same can be said for most people here
Old 23 June 2014, 00:21

Haha. I see what you did there. Well done!
Old 8 July 2014, 17:33

I have an East German Makarov. It was actually the first pistol I've ever owned. Great to shoot... not a lot of kick, easy to clean. Old style thumb lever mag release at the base of the handgrip takes some getting used to. Though I've seen a lot of shooters put a keyring in the detent to pull and release the mag.

Minimal parts and tear down... VERY much like a Walther PPK or that style of weapon from the era. I love my Mac.
Old 19 July 2014, 10:46
Confirmed User

Makarov 9x18

Good conceal carry.
I still prefer original Tokarov 7,62x25. Smaller caliber with a punch of .357 magnum.
Old 19 July 2014, 11:28
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomusik View Post
Good conceal carry. I still prefer original Tokarov 7,62x25. Smaller caliber with a punch of .357 magnum.
No thumb safety unless it's one of the guns where ATF required one to be installed to make it importable. Hammer down on an empty chamber or the tip of the firing pin in contact with the primer of the chambered round, or half cock. Hard to find anything but FMJ ammo, with which it will over-penetrate severely.

Now, if one is looking for a pistol that will penetrate soft body armor and you can't afford an FN 5.7, the Tokarev and FMJ ammo is what you want.

"Let us return to old times and that will be progress." - Verdi
Old 15 August 2014, 16:07

I have an East German Mak and I prefer it to the PPKs.

I've never had a Tokarev, but have a CZ52 in that caliber.
Old 15 August 2014, 16:13
Confirmed User

Bulgarian MAC - excellent - absolutely - only E German made is better.
Old 19 August 2014, 21:17
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Searson View Post
I have an East German Mak and I prefer it to the PPKs.

I've never had a Tokarev, but have a CZ52 in that caliber.
I also have a cz52. Points well, rounds are real zippers, ammo is cheap. The safety is pretty stiff and the trigger pull feels long but breaks clean. A friend swears by mak's, and I'd say the trigger and safety are similar (he carries a Polish one, and it's the only one I've shot). It's a durable, serviceable, handgun; IMO.

Apparently they double as beer keys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (15.9 KB, 105 views)
Old 20 August 2014, 14:06
Authorized Personnel

When they were $129 and a case of russian steel cased ammo was $89... they made sense to grab a couple. Toss it in a lock box in the trunk of the car or in an ammo can under the floorboard of the vacation cabin.

The accuracy is marginal, sights are just pressed metal with a notch taken out of it, the controls are clumsy (I personally don't like slide mounted safeties).

Now that they are over $350... eh. There are probably better options out there for inexpensive handguns.
Old 9 September 2018, 00:46
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

I like my Bulgarian Mak. Minimal recoil, fits in my pocket, enough power and mag capacity (8+1) for emergency personal defense, accurate enough to put bullets wherever my old eyes aim them, doesn't rattle when you shake it, has never jammed / failed to feed or eject / misfired on me, isn't shy about dirt, and is sturdy enough to set off the magnetic anomaly detector on airplanes flying overhead. The ammo isn't a Walmart stock item but is easily available. Perhaps equally important, if I have to use the thing on somebody and the police confiscate it for a long time, I'm not out too much money and it isn't hard to replace.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician

Our new posting rules