SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 17 July 2014, 15:19
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
Apparently Malaysia didn't get the memo. Then again, wasn't there another aircraft shot down like a week ago in the same area?

To your point though, controller problems? Sounds like bullshit to me. Controller problems, as in, guiding aircraft into areas to get shot down? Sounds like more than controller problems to me.
Agreed, words have meaning and I should have used instability instead. NOTAM is here https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/ifim/us_restrictions/media/2014_0214_04-29_FINAL_FDC_NOTAM4-7667_UKRAINE_SFAR.pdf
Old 17 July 2014, 15:37
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by btq96r View Post
Could Malaysian Airlines have ignored/accepted the risk of flying over a war zone to avoid having to buy & burn more fuel per flight?
That's exactly it. Large aircraft taxi out one engine and start the second just prior to takeoff, and even cruise speeds and reserve fuel are tightly calculated to optimize (minimize) fuel burn, so it was definitely a (the) major factor in the routing.
Old 17 July 2014, 16:27
Been There Done That

Ok, I am taking bets on who did it....
Russians 3-1
Ukraine Sep 5-1
Ukraine 2-1
Australia (caused they are so pissed off about all the money they spent looking for the other Malaysian A/C) Even Money

Old 17 July 2014, 16:47
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopp700 View Post
Ok, I am taking bets on who did it....
Russians 3-1
Ukraine Sep 5-1
Ukraine 2-1
Australia (caused they are so pissed off about all the money they spent looking for the other Malaysian A/C) Even Money

The Russians have their hands all over this, even though it was most likely the separatists..

The head of the Separatists who Tweeted he thought he shot down a transport, is Frmr GRU/FSB, the Russians have SOF/FSB/GRU all over in that area stirring shit up and advising.

But most importantly... How the hell did they get a BUK..? Directly from the Russians obviously... A BUK is not like some RPG you could get at the Souk in Baghdad cerca 2004..

The BUK is a platform, complex SAM system that was provided by the Russians...

IMO, FIFA should pull the World Cup from the Russians in 2018. Do it now so they have time to get another sight ready.

Plus many more sanctions and make the Russians feel the cost of doing what they are doing...

Sltwtr1

OUT

Jack Bauer
Old 17 July 2014, 17:21
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sltwtr1 View Post
IMO, FIFA should pull the World Cup from the Russians in 2018. Do it now so they have time to get another site ready. Plus many more sanctions and make the Russians feel the cost of doing what they are doing...
154 Dutch passport holders and 23 Americans, mix of other numbers of Malay, Indonesian, British, German, French, and Belgian.

There is NFW Russia isn't responsible for this.

Spooky interview on BBC World at Schipol with a guy and his wife and infant who were booked on the flight but decided to switch to a different airline at the last minute,
"something told us not to get on that plane".

"Let us return to old times and that will be progress." - Verdi

Last edited by bobofthedesert; 17 July 2014 at 17:34.
Old 17 July 2014, 17:33
Reverse Apache Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthedesert View Post
154 Dutch passport holders, 27 Australian, 23 Americans, 6 Brits, and 4 French are the numbers being reported at present.

There is NFW Russia isn't responsible for this.

Spooky interview on BBC World at Schipol with a guy and his Malaysian wife and infant who were booked on the flight but decided to switch to a different airline at the last minute,
"something told us not to get on that plane".
While I have no doubt that the Russians could have been involved (not necessarily directly, but through the separatists, providing the SA capability, "advising", all that stuff, etc), I don't see much gain for them in shooting down a Malaysian Airlines flight with the above persons on board.

I think this was an "Oh shit, that was a passenger plane?" moment on either the Ukrainians or Separatists part. With the planes that have been shot down prior to this one, it's easy to see why either side might be a little quick on the trigger.

Giving the enemy a boner is half the battle. --Jungle Recon
Old 17 July 2014, 17:35
Drawing my cutlass

Is this the system? More importantly does it have Friend - Foe capabilities?

Quote:
The Russians have their hands all over this, even though it was most likely the separatists..

The head of the Separatists who Tweeted he thought he shot down a transport, is Frmr GRU/FSB, the Russians have SOF/FSB/GRU all over in that area stirring shit up and advising.

But most importantly... How the hell did they get a BUK..? Directly from the Russians obviously... A BUK is not like some RPG you could get at the Souk in Baghdad cerca 2004..

The BUK is a platform, complex SAM system that was provided by the Russians...

IMO, FIFA should pull the World Cup from the Russians in 2018. Do it now so they have time to get another sight ready.

Plus many more sanctions and make the Russians feel the cost of doing what they are doing...

Sltwtr1

OUT

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 17 July 2014, 17:53
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthedesert View Post
154 Dutch passport holders and 23 Americans.
Sorry, that should have said "Australians". No Americans reported at this time.

"Let us return to old times and that will be progress." - Verdi
Old 17 July 2014, 18:26

Quote:

They are part of Sky Team, that I don't fly unless forced to... However, what kind of standards does Sky Team have to allow their members to Codeshare, connect, etc to an airline that is obviously fucked up...

I fly Star Alliance and sometimes One World.. I highly doubt Star Alliance would allow Malaysian airlines to be a partner...

Generally speaking, the alliances are formed more or less as a marketing tool to increase revenue for member airlines. i.e. they're a 'strategic' way to try to funnel passengers crossing the globe onto alliance airlines, passengers are hooked with 'ease' of booking and loyalty points, etc.

Sometimes they'll faff about with 'similar cabin/passenger' offerings, but these don't seem to last long in the face of pure economics.

I know that some airlines consider them to be highly successful at increasing revenue (senior management talks, etc.), and I suspect they are in some cases, but I've always wanted to have a really good look at the books & overall costs/benefits myself (I'm apparently suspicious by nature ).

There are a number of airlines in each of the well known alliances that I would hesitate to (or would not) fly with.

The Malaysian aircraft flying over Ukraine hours after one of its sister ships was allegedly shot down seems to me to be indicative of a company that is not very good at making decisions about 'things', and that is very poor at communicating across the divisions. Which makes me worry.

That's almost a redundant comment given the shenanigans over their stealth machine, but it's one of those little things that says a lot (least of which is 'lessons learned').
Old 17 July 2014, 18:31
Nec Aspera Terrent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justaclerk View Post

That's the Gadfly/Buk alright. It does have an IFF system, yes, plus an NCTR capability. This system and it's more advanced descendant, the SA-17 Grizzly/Buk M1-3 series are still being continually upgraded and new versions being developed.

FWIW - the Ukrainian military also operates this system, and the separatists as well as the Russian military, before they withdrew - did take a lot of military equipment from various bases and warehouses. That is pretty much how the separatists ended-up with T-64BV's, BMD-2 and BMP-2's... what they didn't take, the Russian army turned-over what they did.

So, it might be possible that a Gadfly or two ended-up in their hands this way? Still, this is assuming the Russians and/or the separatists are responsible for the shoot-down.

We are the middle children of history.
Born too late to explore the Earth,
born too early to explore space.

- Anonymous

"The foremost cartographers of the land have prepared this for you; it's a map of the area that you'll be traversing."

"It's blank."

"They'll be very grateful if you could just fill it in as you go along."
Old 17 July 2014, 18:41
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofo View Post
That's the Gadfly/Buk alright. It does have an IFF system, yes, plus an NCTR capability. This system and it's more advanced descendant, the SA-17 Grizzly/Buk M1-3 series are still being continually upgraded and new versions being developed.

FWIW - the Ukrainian military also operates this system, and the separatists as well as the Russian military, before they withdrew - did take a lot of military equipment from various bases and warehouses. That is pretty much how the separatists ended-up with T-64BV's, BMD-2 and BMP-2's... what they didn't take, the Russian army turned-over what they did.

So, it might be possible that a Gadfly or two ended-up in their hands this way? Still, this is assuming the Russians and/or the separatists are responsible for the shoot-down.
I was thinking that also... However, the reason for the sanctions that the US put on Russia just yesterday, were primarily because of the transfer of heavy/advanced weapon systems from the Russians.

Also, the Ukrainians state they have intercepted calls from the Separatist commander to a Russian intel agent basically giving an AAR of his shoot down of what he thought at the time, was a Ukrainian mil plane (directly after the 777 was shot down).

Thirdly... Maybe they captured stockpiles, however, historically, even when opposition forces capture advanced mil hardware.. If they are not resupplied with the parts, have the tech support, new missiles, etc, the weapon system has a short shelf life..

Think Stingers in Afghanistan.. They had tubes back in the day. But were not able to replace the batteries and missiles..

Or Iran with their F-14 fleet..

Hence, my gut tell me Russia was supplying the weapons systems or the parts/equipment/tech support to keep the systems operational..

I might be way off base... However, I think there is a good possibility I am not...

Sltwtr1

OUT

Jack Bauer
Old 17 July 2014, 19:03
Old and Broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofo View Post

IFF vs Transponder systems, different animals.
Old 17 July 2014, 20:43
Administrator

This is Russian handiwork IMO. I suspect USG already knows this and is too afraid to say so.

Sad day.
Old 17 July 2014, 20:51
Been There Done That

RIP and prayers out the families of the victims.

Ironically, just yesterday I was joking with a co-worker here about how since the "Missing Malaysian Airline" incident, we would never fly Malaysian Air. Then this.
Old 17 July 2014, 20:56
Six Minutes!

Quote:

Yeah, has IFF and NCTR.

IFF should more correctly be called "Identify Friend or maybe not Friend"

It just tells the radar whether or not the target has the appropriate codes for a friendly aircraft. If it does not have the proper codes, it is unknown... possibly hostile, possibly non-combatant, possibly a friendly which airman Snuffy loaded the wrong info into, or CPT Pilot forgot to turn on.

NCTR uses other means to help identify an aircraft (think- like identifying a specific ship with sonar). I seriously doubt that whoever shot this missile was using NTCR as indented, if they even knew how to use it.
Old 17 July 2014, 21:11
I ♣ Hippies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
This is Russian handiwork IMO. I suspect USG already knows this and is too afraid to say so.

Sad day.
^^^this x2

Combine this with the possibility of US citizens (as being reported) on board. I believe the administration is pissing themselves.

"The real problem of leisure time is how to keep others from using yours." ~Arthur Lacey
Old 17 July 2014, 21:16
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMeany 5 View Post
^^^this x2

Combine this with the possibility of US citizens (as being reported) on board. I believe the administration is pissing themselves.
Maybe not. I mean who cares about a few illegals at this point right? I mean US Citizens may have been shot down. Terrorism!!!!!

There are two kinds of people in this world,
the smart and lazy, and the stupid and industrious. Be wary of the stupid and industrious, they will fuck something up every time.
Old 17 July 2014, 21:31
Been There Done That

I'm not all on board the Yellow Cake Express yet.
Old 17 July 2014, 21:43
Been There Done That

Quote:

That's the system. This is the TELAR module. The dome in the front is the fire control/missile guidance radar. There's a second vehicle that's just a TEL; and the third vehicle has the target acquisition radar and the IFF piece.
Old 17 July 2014, 21:56
Nec Aspera Terrent

A 3D CGI rendition of most of the Buk complex, of the vehicles Tracy mentioned. These are what you should find in a newer, upgraded Buk battery and related service vehicles - minus the mobile workshop and a couple of other support vehicles.

Attachment 27880

Attachment 27881

We are the middle children of history.
Born too late to explore the Earth,
born too early to explore space.

- Anonymous

"The foremost cartographers of the land have prepared this for you; it's a map of the area that you'll be traversing."

"It's blank."

"They'll be very grateful if you could just fill it in as you go along."

Last edited by The Fat Guy; 21 July 2014 at 08:58.

Our new posting rules