Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > H2H Combat

Old 19 June 2017, 12:53
Been There Done That

This is pertinent to this thread.

A former UFC fighter died over the weekend after being knocked out by a pro boxer in a boxing match.

http://www.punditarena.com/mmaufc/sraftery/206345/

Boxing is not MMA and an ability to strike in MMA isn't necessarily indicative of success at the upper levels of pro boxing.

RIP Tim Hague.

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.
Old 19 June 2017, 12:53
#AllLionsMatter

^^^^^

There is a limit to compassion.

Last edited by Guy; 19 June 2017 at 12:54. Reason: Posted at the same time with the above.
Old 19 June 2017, 13:59
Violent Social Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
It's no surprise that the odds for Mayweather to beat McGregor are dropping by the day, due to the fact that a lot of UFC fans want a piece of the action, even at a small price.

Still, it appears the smart money, which also comprises the larger bets, is on Mayweather.

http://www.sportingnews.com/other-sp...x15hxbowbbhlds

Also, as far as the pay per view goes, do the promoters sell PPV packages to bars, who would then charge a nominal cover charge to their patrons?

I would definitely pay a cover charge up to a certain amount to watch the fight, but no way will I put down $100 myself. I suppose I could find a few other people who want to watch it and pool money, but I don't know many folks who are that into either boxing or UFC to pay to watch a fight.

Has anybody ever watched one of these big fights, like the Mayweather/ Pacquiao fight, in a sports bar, and if so how much of a cover did they charge to get in?
My friend owns a couple sports bars and the PPV is priced according to seating capacity.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 19 June 2017, 15:25
Un-confirmed User

This is like getting Jerry Rice and Tom Brady together (back when they were in their prime)and seeing who is the best football player by only judging who can throw the ball the furthest.

All this is, is a money grab...

I'll wait for it to come out on YouTube or something...

Last edited by Chris-Harper; 19 June 2017 at 15:47.
Old 19 June 2017, 17:09
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
My friend owns a couple sports bars and the PPV is priced according to seating capacity.
I figure I'll call around as the fight approaches, see who's carrying it and what they're charging as a cover.

Just out of curiosity Massgrunt, do you recall what your friend charged patrons to watch? Or was it just something he checked into and decided against getting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-Harper View Post
This is like getting Jerry Rice and Tom Brady together (back when they were in their prime)and seeing who is the best football player by only judging who can throw the ball the furthest.
There is a bit of truth to that, but I think a lot of people think that boxing and MMA are so different in terms of the skill sets necessary to compete at a high level, that a better comparison would be perhaps having a Sumo wrestler and a regular Olympic style wrestler compete, using only Sumo rules.
Old 19 June 2017, 17:56
Voodoo guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDragLowSpeed View Post
This is pertinent to this thread.

A former UFC fighter died over the weekend after being knocked out by a pro boxer in a boxing match.

http://www.punditarena.com/mmaufc/sraftery/206345/

Boxing is not MMA and an ability to strike in MMA isn't necessarily indicative of success at the upper levels of pro boxing.

RIP Tim Hague.
Definitely sad. Unfortunately Hague has taken a LOT of shots to the head in MMA. It is certainly sad, but sadly not surprising.
Old 19 June 2017, 17:57
Voodoo guru

Quote:
It's no surprise that the odds for Mayweather to beat McGregor are dropping by the day, due to the fact that a lot of UFC fans want a piece of the action, even at a small price.

Still, it appears the smart money, which also comprises the larger bets, is on Mayweather.

http://www.sportingnews.com/other-sp...x15hxbowbbhlds

Also, as far as the pay per view goes, do the promoters sell PPV packages to bars, who would then charge a nominal cover charge to their patrons?

I would definitely pay a cover charge up to a certain amount to watch the fight, but no way will I put down $100 myself. I suppose I could find a few other people who want to watch it and pool money, but I don't know many folks who are that into either boxing or UFC to pay to watch a fight.

Has anybody ever watched one of these big fights, like the Mayweather/ Pacquiao fight, in a sports bar, and if so how much of a cover did they charge to get in?
Yep, places like Buffalo Wild Wing, Hooters, Tilted Kilt, etc; all tend to get most of the PPV fights be it boxing or MMA.
Old 19 June 2017, 20:09
Violent Social Worker

Quote:
I figure I'll call around as the fight approaches, see who's carrying it and what they're charging as a cover.

Just out of curiosity Massgrunt, do you recall what your friend charged patrons to watch?
They've never done it, they're packed every night anyway so it's not worth it. I got the impression it's a decent chunk of change.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 19 June 2017, 20:26
Voodoo guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
They've never done it, they're packed every night anyway so it's not worth it. I got the impression it's a decent chunk of change.
It is. Something to the tune of about a grand to get the ppv.
Old 19 June 2017, 21:53
Un-confirmed User

Quote:
There is a bit of truth to that, but I think a lot of people think that boxing and MMA are so different in terms of the skill sets necessary to compete at a high level, that a better comparison would be perhaps having a Sumo wrestler and a regular Olympic style wrestler compete, using only Sumo rules.
Big difference in skill set between a quarterback and wide receiver...

This is all for money and based on the enthusiasm in this thread, they're going to make a killin'...
Old 19 June 2017, 22:23
#AllLionsMatter

Conor McGregor's sparring partner: 'Floyd will beat him up so badly, they’ll stop the fight' FM is going too pick his head off like I use to choose blackberries off the bush as a kid......

Old 19 June 2017, 22:34
Voodoo guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Conor McGregor's sparring partner: 'Floyd will beat him up so badly, they’ll stop the fight' FM is going too pick his head off like I use to choose blackberries off the bush as a kid......
Wow... Well, I doubt that anyone is surprised by that. But still, hearing it from someone that close to the source is pretty wild.

The dude is likely right; but I'm too much of a fight nerd to not watch. And I will hope that the punchers chance hits, and that smug turd FM goes out. Not likely, but there is hope, however small.
Old 20 June 2017, 08:36
Doc McNasty

Both these dicks are gonna be lighting their cigars with $100 bills that night, and sadly....$49.95 of it will prob come from me.
Old 20 June 2017, 11:43
#AllLionsMatter

Red face LMAO! Just saying....

Quote:
Originally Posted by chokeu2 View Post
Wow... Well, I doubt that anyone is surprised by that. But still, hearing it from someone that close to the source is pretty wild.

The dude is likely right; but I'm too much of a fight nerd to not watch. And I will hope that the punchers chance hits, and that smug turd FM goes out. Not likely, but there is hope, however small.
Unless there's some type of stipulation in the contract "IF" FM was T-ing off of my noggin...

Don't be surprised that CM unleashes some MMA move on FM; I know I would...

Old 20 June 2017, 15:04
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Unless there's some type of stipulation in the contract "IF" FM was T-ing off of my noggin...

Don't be surprised that CM unleashes some MMA move on FM; I know I would...
Oh, I am sure there is a lengthy clause concerning this situation should it arise...(Ali, if I remember correctly did the same styled stunt once upon a time, long ago and far away)
Old 21 June 2017, 19:59
Been There Done That

Oscar De La Hoya is on CNN saying that it will be a 12 round snoozer and bad for boxing.

He also says that he started boxing at 5 y/o, was an Olympic boxer, had 10 titles in 6 weight divisions, and still couldnt beat Mayweather. He says that it's crazy to think that CM has a chance in his first pro bout never having gone more than a few 5 round fights of 5 min rounds.

I agree that this will either be a fast KO of CM or a typical FM 12 round snoozer.

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.
Old Yesterday, 08:46
Authorized Personnel

This is a serious question. Also as a caveat, I don't know the ins and out of the contract they just signed.

As someone who knows next to nothing about boxing and only slightly more about MMA... the only thing I really know is that they are two different styles of fighting. I am reading a lot about what FM brings to the table.

Is there anything that CM brings to the table that will give him the edge over FM?

My wife is a CM fan and we would like to see him win. In my uneducated/ unknowing fantasy world, it would seem that CM could just stay out of FM range and pick him off with leg kicks until he can get him on the ground.

America...a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots

Never trust a politician that starts with " I have always supported American’s 2nd Amendment rights but… "

I will not submit to your will. I will not be intimidated.
Old Yesterday, 09:03
Ne Obliviscaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10thvet View Post
My wife is a CM fan and we would like to see him win. In my uneducated/ unknowing fantasy world, it would seem that CM could just stay out of FM range and pick him off with leg kicks until he can get him on the ground.
That could work if it was an MMA fight...but its going to be straight boxing rules only.
Old Yesterday, 09:09
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostile0311 View Post
That could work if it was an MMA fight...but its going to be straight boxing rules only.
See, that is something I didn't know. Ok, that changes everything...

America...a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots

Never trust a politician that starts with " I have always supported American’s 2nd Amendment rights but… "

I will not submit to your will. I will not be intimidated.
Old Yesterday, 10:08
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10thvet View Post
See, that is something I didn't know. Ok, that changes everything...

Oh if this was an MMA fight FM wouldn't last 60 seconds. But, it's not.
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate