SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Technology and Communications

Old 8 November 2018, 18:52
giving you a number

Quote:
Originally Posted by morelocks View Post
Take a look at Chromebooks.

Not sure what Invoices mean so that may not work for you.

For all other items you listed they do very well at a great price point.
Love the chromebook. I have two in different places around the house. If all you want to do is web you can't beat the price.

They're portable, use USB-C for charging, have a touch screen (it's handy once you get used to it) and most of them will do a tablet mode so they're great for low impact tasks.

I also noticed an option to run Linux apps in Chrome now. Haven't had time to dig into it yet but it looks promising.

The only downside I've seen is they are pretty low powered (memory/cpu) so you won't want to use them for high intensity computing tasks.
Old 8 November 2018, 19:06
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTx View Post
I have a Dell Insperion 17", but about to pull the trigger on a HP or Asus Chromebook. May want to check them out.
I just got the newest HP 14" 2in1 Chromebook. I think it's great. Don't have to worry about virus's. Very fast surfing the net. 14 hour battery life.
This Chromebook fits the bill. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-2-in...?skuId=6301869
Old 9 November 2018, 17:11
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTx View Post
I just got the newest HP 14" 2in1 Chromebook. I think it's great. Don't have to worry about virus's. Very fast surfing the net. 14 hour battery life.
This Chromebook fits the bill. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-2-in...?skuId=6301869
If you need to connect to a larger screen you can use the USB C adapter options. Everything from direct to monitor to docking station.

“Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.”
― Thomas Jefferson
Old 9 November 2018, 17:15
giving you a number

Quote:
Originally Posted by morelocks View Post
If you need to connect to a larger screen you can use the USB C adapter options. Everything from direct to monitor to docking station.
Or buy yourself a Chromecast and just cast to anything with HDMI. Also, many TVs now come with the cast option built in so before you buy the Chromecast, push the cast button and see what turns up.

Last edited by cedsall; 9 November 2018 at 17:17. Reason: More info.
Old Today, 14:23

I have a few laptops. My first choice would always be Lenovo from W series which are pretty robust but also reliable laptops.
Other expensive Lenovo models such as the x1 carbon series...I wouldn't suggest it since they are not worth spending that money on it although they are beautifully designed.
You mentioned you need it for basic things so I guess Chromecast would definitely do the job, as somebody already said.

Our new posting rules