SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Domestic Jobs

Old 11 May 2018, 22:03
Confirmed User

FAA Aircraft Dispatcher

I am considering a career as an FAA Aircraft Dispatcher. Does anybody here happen to know much about that career field?

I am trying to determine what school I should attend to get certified and what the typical salary is in Minnesota for these types of jobs.
Old 15 May 2018, 12:05
33,024 - R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
I am considering a career as an FAA Aircraft Dispatcher. Does anybody here happen to know much about that career field?

I am trying to determine what school I should attend to get certified and what the typical salary is in Minnesota for these types of jobs.
Are you considering applying as an FAA-ASI (Dispatch)?
Old 15 May 2018, 12:23
Red Headed Stepchild

I'm guessing Justaclerk will have some more detailed info on this.

The company I work for uses certified dispatchers, which didn't used to be the case based on our operating certificate.

Dispatchers are responsible for flight planning, tracking, updating weather and basically anything else to do with the operation of the flight in question. They actually share legal responsibility for flight safety with the operating crew, which I remember being surprising to find out when I first started out in the airline world.

I work for a large company, and our dispatchers are very well compensated, but as with everything else in aviation, that as well as the overall job satisfaction rating will be HIGHLY dependent on the company you work for.
Old 15 May 2018, 14:45
Drawing my cutlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
I'm guessing Justaclerk will have some more detailed info on this.

The company I work for uses certified dispatchers, which didn't used to be the case based on our operating certificate.

Dispatchers are responsible for flight planning, tracking, updating weather and basically anything else to do with the operation of the flight in question. They actually share legal responsibility for flight safety with the operating crew, which I remember being surprising to find out when I first started out in the airline world.

I work for a large company, and our dispatchers are very well compensated, but as with everything else in aviation, that as well as the overall job satisfaction rating will be HIGHLY dependent on the company you work for.
Not much more I can add to this. I went through the Embry-Riddle dispatch program and it prepared me very well for the check with an FAA DDE (Designated Dispatcher Examiner). If I can offer any advice make sure you pick a training center that at a minimum offers assistance for job placement.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 15 May 2018, 17:37
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justaclerk View Post
If I can offer any advice make sure you pick a training center that at a minimum offers assistance for job placement.
Who has two thumbs and isn't a dispatcher? This guy (me)

But that is solid advice.
Old 15 May 2018, 21:20
Drawing my cutlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
Who has two thumbs and isn't a dispatcher? This guy (me)

But that is solid advice.
One other piece of advice, pay attention to your WX classes so you don't send aircraft through shear values of 7 and above. Pilots get grumpy about that and pax get scared.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy

Our new posting rules