SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Technology and Communications

Old 16 May 2018, 15:11

ATV/Motorcycle Headsets

I need to keep in contact with my son while we’re on ATVs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 16 May 2018, 19:18
Confirmed User

ATV/Motorcycle Headsets

I have done some research, but I haven't decided what to do yet. A couple of things to consider are whether you want Bluetooth to a radio, thus no wires, or are you okay with wires to the speaker and microphone?

In either case, you have a few choices regarding bands and frequencies that are either legal, license free, or easy to obtain license. A few that come to mind are:

-MURS, which is VHF, and is legal, license free at 2 watts or less.

-FRS/GMRS, which is UHF, FRS is up to 2 watts and above that is now considered GMRS and requires a license.

-Motorola has some DTR and DLR radios, which are 900 Mhz, and are legal, license free.

Most of the above would require a cable to a helmet speaker and microphone or a Bluetooth adapter.

The one exception that I found is the Motorola Talkabout MU354R series, which has Bluetooth built into it.

There are also some helmet solutions that build everything into the device.

Home much range you expect is something to consider. Generally, ATVing is remote and usually VHF performs better.

There are some other devices advertised that might be an option, like the https://beartooth.com/ I like the idea of the Beartooth, but most reviews were not great.

You could consider Direct Talk on old Nextels. Range might be half a mile.

Garmin has the RINO line. They are expensive and also have GPS built into them.

Some of the marine radio manufacturers, like Icom and Standard Horizon, allow non-marine frequencies to be programmed into them. A couple of those, with MURS frequencies at 2 watts, may be an option.
Old 16 May 2018, 21:38

Thank you for the information. You’ve done your homework on this one. Please let me know what you end up going with. I’m still a few weeks out before I decide. Thanks again!

Our new posting rules