SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 17 May 2018, 08:39
Drawing my cutlass

‘A demented social club’: Poachers slaughtered hundreds of animals in PNW

For a nanosecond, I thought about putting this in the Hunting thread, but I'm hard over on this one. These are sick, little-dicked cocksuckers; all the hunters that I know respect the environment and harvest animals with great care and deep respect. I suspect that if the authorities checked the 'trophies', they would find the DNA of these motherfuckers splattered all over.

This is a black eye for hunting.

Link to the story here.

Quote:
‘A demented social club’: Poachers slaughtered hundreds of animals in Pacific Northwest for ‘the thrill,’ police say

It started when state officials wanted answers about the headless deer turning up in the Oregon wilderness east of Mount Hood.

“Nearly every year, it seems we have deer showing up minus their heads at the end of seasons,” Craig Gunderson, a senior trooper with the Oregon State Patrol, recently told the Seattle Times. Authorities believed the mutilated animals might be the work of poachers, so in November 2016 they fixed motion-triggered cameras in the national forest near The Dalles, Ore., smack on the Washington state line.

The footage troopers caught would prove to be the first clue to uncovering what officials now say was a loosely linked poaching ring responsible for the illegal brutal slaughter of hundreds of animals in Washington and Oregon. The sheer size of the animal body count involved has shocked wildlife officials, in part because of the wantonness driving the rampant killing.

“It was kind of a demented social club,” an Oregon official told the Times.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 17 May 2018, 10:01
Confirmed User

The biggest problem is the penalties are so lax. I'd be surprised if anyone gets more than a 5 year suspension of license and maybe a week or two in jail served on weekends.
Old 17 May 2018, 10:14
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowzers View Post
The biggest problem is the penalties are so lax. I'd be surprised if anyone gets more than a 5 year suspension of license and maybe a week or two in jail served on weekends.
Pretty much. And they'll still go out hunting anyway.

However if anyone wants to drive out there and turn a few folks into punching bags I have some vacation days saved up.
Old 17 May 2018, 10:23
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
However if anyone wants to drive out there and turn a few folks into punching bags I have some vacation days saved up.
You want to wander around in wildlands you aren't familiar with, looking for armed criminals that live there and know the area, so you can beat them up?

Sure, go ahead, what could go wrong...
Old 17 May 2018, 10:31
Confirmed User

Classic example...https://elknetwork.com/elk-poachers-...nced-in-idaho/
Old 17 May 2018, 10:50
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
You want to wander around in wildlands you aren't familiar with, looking for armed criminals that live there and know the area, so you can beat them up?

Well played sir.
Old 17 May 2018, 10:50

I'm surprised the penalties are considered lax. From what I understand, if you're caught poaching (even unintentionally) pretty much anything used in the commission of poaching can be seized. Your guns, vehicle, everything really. Do they not do this? I got a meeting with IDFG at the end of the month, maybe I'll ask them what the reality is.
Old 17 May 2018, 10:58
Authorized Personnel

Quote:

Pretty much tongue in cheek, though the sentiment remains.
Old 17 May 2018, 11:32
Unemployed Stunt Double

Some poachers are just shitheels, going for trophies or whatever. Other poachers, especially in the PNW, are after animals parts for the Asian black market. The penalties if they get caught are pretty steep. Those poachers will kill people in a heartbeat.
Old 17 May 2018, 11:56
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
I'm surprised the penalties are considered lax. From what I understand, if you're caught poaching (even unintentionally) pretty much anything used in the commission of poaching can be seized. Your guns, vehicle, everything really. Do they not do this? I got a meeting with IDFG at the end of the month, maybe I'll ask them what the reality is.
Rarely if ever happens in Idaho.
Old 17 May 2018, 12:02
Über Equus Asinus

generally speaking, poachers, both here and abroad, are not to be taken lightly.. rarely are they doing it for "fun".. there is almost always significant economic benefit for criminal activity... no different than dope growers or meth cooks..

most would rather put a bullet in your ass and leave you in the woods for the crows than risk jail time..

While the article speaks to this ring killing for ego and bravado.. my guess is there is more to this than that.. I bet the fish and wildlife investigators know a few things that arent currently being released to the press..

you dont issue 200 charges against 17 people just because they shot a bunch of animals out of season.. there is more to this story..
Old 17 May 2018, 12:05
Über Equus Asinus

Quote:
Depends on the state....

Southern states in particular are pretty notorious for taking your rifle, vehicle, etc..

TX is known to come after illegal hunters pretty hard as well.. the Dallas Safari Club has put a ton of money into a program called "Operation Game Thief".. and helps the TX wildlife officers catch and prosecute poachers.. and pushes the courts for heavy penalties, etc..
Old 17 May 2018, 12:55
Been There Done That

Quote:
Some poachers are just shitheels, going for trophies or whatever. Other poachers, especially in the PNW, are after animals parts for the Asian black market. The penalties if they get caught are pretty steep. Those poachers will kill people in a heartbeat.
This...it took me a few years to nail some poachers behind my place, finally got them and the warden wrote 26 citations when all was said and done. Good on me, but I also know my SA is at an all-time high when I'm knocking around. Hardcore poachers don't forget what their illegal activity cost them in fines, and more importantly--who pointed the law in their direction...
Old 17 May 2018, 13:05
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo Kane View Post
This...it took me a few years to nail some poachers behind my place, finally got them and the warden wrote 26 citations when all was said and done. Good on me, but I also know my SA is at an all-time high when I'm knocking around. Hardcore poachers don't forget what their illegal activity cost them in fines, and more importantly--who pointed the law in their direction...
Heat that cross up.
Old 17 May 2018, 13:11
Drawing my cutlass

Wish DEVSAW was still posting; his perspective would be welcome.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 17 May 2018, 13:20
Time is a flat circle

Quote:
Our opossum cops will absolutely take all your shit. We did some waterborne training with them a few weeks ago, in some boats they had seized.

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 17 May 2018, 13:21
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebean54 View Post
Our opossum cops will absolutely take all your shit. We did some waterborne training with them a few weeks ago, in some boats they had seized.
Yep...vehicles, boats, weapons, and then they hit you in the bank account!
Old 17 May 2018, 13:21
Did...did I do that?

There's a bear mounted in the visitor center on I-70 EB just across the WV-PA state line. When they caught the poacher, they forfeited all of his guns, fined him heavily, AND made him pay for the mount.

I'm not usually one for fed involvement in state things, but some sort of national clearinghouse that hunting permit vendors could check would be nice. Lose your hunting privileges in your home state? Lose them everywhere.
Old 17 May 2018, 13:34
Time is a flat circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmueller View Post
There's a bear mounted in the visitor center on I-70 EB just across the WV-PA state line. When they caught the poacher, they forfeited all of his guns, fined him heavily, AND made him pay for the mount.

I'm not usually one for fed involvement in state things, but some sort of national clearinghouse that hunting permit vendors could check would be nice. Lose your hunting privileges in your home state? Lose them everywhere.
Our state has hunting permits and what not tied to the DL, can’t say for other states but I can see people’s permits when I run their DL. Doesn’t show up ALL the time, but neither does a lot of shit. Best to keep all documents with you while hunting.

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 17 May 2018, 13:37
Time is a flat circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agoge View Post
Yep...vehicles, boats, weapons, and then they hit you in the bank account!
One of the Grouper Troopers said he seized the boots the guy was wearing while taking an illegal dear.

Me :“Dude, that’s kind of a dick move”
Him: “he said he was gonna to and get another one as soon as I left so I already had some of his guns and his truck, figured if he wanted it bad, he could do it bare foot”

Our new posting rules