Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 7 August 2017, 13:24
Sharky's Avatar
Sharky Sharky is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: SOCNET
Posts: 17,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
Reviving an old thread as I have basically the same question. Currently I have a Vortex 3x on my rifle but want to move that to another rifle and get a reflex sight and was looking at the Sightmark Ultra Shot M-Spec Reflex Sight. The price is descent and it has been getting good reviews online but I'd rather hear from somebody here, anybody have an insight?


Sightmark

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...k_ql_qh_dp_hza


For double the price I can get an EOTech 512.A65 but is it worth the price? I do like that it runs on AA batteries and I'm assuming the EOTech issues are resolved.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...k_ql_qh_dp_hza

I just bought a Vortex SPARC II and mounted it on my MPX. So far I am liking it. $200 at Cabelas.
__________________
Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate
I am the captain of my soul.
-Invictus
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 7 August 2017, 13:43
KW Driver's Avatar
KW Driver KW Driver is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: CONUS
Posts: 538
Vortex are 40% off at expertcity.com every day. most of us qualify to join.
__________________
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 7 August 2017, 14:04
Joker's Avatar
Joker Joker is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: N/A
Posts: 2,014
I kind of want a reflex sight though and I should have added this to my first post. This is for my suppressed SBR and I'm getting a lot of blowback through the charging handle which isnt really that bad with the proper glasses but if I had to shoot it in an emergency without the glasses I would have to put my nose about 3 or 4 inches from the charging handle so I think a reflex sight would give me a better/faster site picture in that scenario than a scoped red dot. Make sense or am I off base?
__________________
A Co 1/75

The amount of patience I have is proportionate to the number of witnesses present.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 7 August 2017, 17:32
gavin's Avatar
gavin gavin is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Back where it all began
Posts: 4,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
I kind of want a reflex sight though and I should have added this to my first post. This is for my suppressed SBR and I'm getting a lot of blowback through the charging handle which isnt really that bad with the proper glasses but if I had to shoot it in an emergency without the glasses I would have to put my nose about 3 or 4 inches from the charging handle so I think a reflex sight would give me a better/faster site picture in that scenario than a scoped red dot. Make sense or am I off base?
You can also try a Gemtech "suppressed" BCG. I have one in my suppressed 10.3" SBR, helps with the blowback. I use an Aimpoint PRO on that weapon, but I still keep my nose pretty close to the charging handle w/o getting overgassed in the eye.
__________________
Clumsy Latin Phrase!
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 9 August 2017, 00:22
Monkey Medic Monkey Medic is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: West Side
Posts: 15
I'd go with an MRO. comparable to the T-1 but cheaper
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 7 September 2017, 14:37
Semp Semp is offline
A lost ball in high weeds
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 374
FWIW, I picked up a EOTech XPS2-0 today at Whittaker Guns for my turkey/coyote shotgun. They have 15% off guns, ammo, optics in stock. Price was $415 less discount, less EOTech rebate = $278. (plus KY sales tax)

https://shop.whittakerguns.com/
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 7 September 2017, 15:55
mdwest's Avatar
mdwest mdwest is offline
Über Equus Asinus
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: here
Posts: 2,333
taking the red dot discussion a different direction...

Im looking at options for putting one on a heavy recoiling rifle (.375 H&H).. I want something small, lightweight, and compact.. but that can stand up to the beating that 300gr full power ammo being launched out of the rifle will provide..

Anyone have experience or recommendations here?
__________________
There are no stupid questions... There are however alot of inquisitive morons..
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 7 September 2017, 21:24
EchoFiveMike's Avatar
EchoFiveMike EchoFiveMike is offline
Make a desert and call it peace.
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: back home, IVO chicago
Posts: 7,579
Aimpoint Comp M-whatever.

Have used them on Barret M82's, which actually don't kick that hard. Have used them on slug shotties, which IMO, kick harder. S/F....Ken M
__________________
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 10 September 2017, 21:04
jasonglh's Avatar
jasonglh jasonglh is offline
Nurse Ratched
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Western Kentucky
Posts: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semp View Post
FWIW, I picked up a EOTech XPS2-0 today at Whittaker Guns for my turkey/coyote shotgun. They have 15% off guns, ammo, optics in stock. Price was $415 less discount, less EOTech rebate = $278. (plus KY sales tax)

https://shop.whittakerguns.com/

I haven't been since they opened the new store but its only about 30 minutes from me. 90% of my gun purchases are from there as they have the best price by far.
__________________
Victory is the only end that justifies the sacrifice of men at war.

Col. Robert W. Black
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 12 September 2017, 09:49
DCH's Avatar
DCH DCH is offline
Callsign: Turkey Bacon
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: SoCAL
Posts: 2,186
I like the reflex cage/guard on this set up. Is it available for purchase out there, or is it a one-off custom fab thing?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0359.jpg (42.7 KB, 178 views)
__________________
No matter.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 13 September 2017, 00:03
jasonglh's Avatar
jasonglh jasonglh is offline
Nurse Ratched
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Western Kentucky
Posts: 827
I thought at one time Larue made one?
__________________
Victory is the only end that justifies the sacrifice of men at war.

Col. Robert W. Black
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 13 September 2017, 02:44
glockcqc glockcqc is offline
BTDT
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 1,000
Safari Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwest View Post
taking the red dot discussion a different direction...

Im looking at options for putting one on a heavy recoiling rifle (.375 H&H).. I want something small, lightweight, and compact.. but that can stand up to the beating that 300gr full power ammo being launched out of the rifle will provide..

Anyone have experience or recommendations here?
I shot, for accuracy & function, pretty much all of the Winchester Md70 Safari Grade rifles that shipped out of the FN plant (ie .375, .416, .458). Though, I used the open sights on the guns, not an optic.

Having practical experience w/that kind of recoil, I recommend you actually call the manufacturer..Trijjicon, Aim Point, etc & ask them & then also ask what happens (ie how you get your money back or a replacement) when it breaks/stops functioning.

Good shooting
__________________
"By trial and error and correction do we learn - not by theory and arguement." Ed McGivern
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 13 September 2017, 04:03
cashonlycow cashonlycow is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: The Smoke
Posts: 75
I have seen various makes and models... try a Google search using words like MRDS, shroud, protection, wings, guards etc.

I have no personal experience with them, been an Aimpoint T1 user and banged that hell outta it with no issues.

Here is one:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...tective-mount/
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 13 September 2017, 09:00
gymrat8541 gymrat8541 is offline
Chuck Norris Approved
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 182
Leupold LCO

This is what I have on my 10.5" Daniel Defense SBR. While it is pricey compared to may other sights, it meets my needs and wants. I have had a lot of different vortex glass and can not say anything bad about the ones that I have owned.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 13 September 2017, 15:15
Flatbedder's Avatar
Flatbedder Flatbedder is offline
Deplorable
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: CONUS
Posts: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stallion View Post
I built up an M4 and am now looking for some optics. EO techs are good but pricy. Does anybody any any suggestions on some good mid price range optics that wont turn my M4 into a "crew served weapon" weight wise.
Thanks!
EOTechs would not be my favored choice for anything pertaining to combat/practical rifle-craft. regardless of price. I've been dealing with a few EOTech variants since 2010. I'm not talking about a few on my personal weapon[s]. I'm referring to more than 100 units assigned to Rifle-Kits that get hundreds of rounds put thru them a week, thousands a month and so on for the past 7 years. Not to mention the other 'newer'...'updated'...'next-gen' ones - whatever ... NEGATIVE on EOTech.

My money goes to:
1. Aimpoint Micro T-2
and/or
2. Trijicon ACOG variant
[YES - I prefer the Marine Corps model]
However, all the ACOG variants are excellent.

I can't say enough great things about both optics,
That hasn't already been said by SME's here aready.

I run a BCM with 2-Uppers in the Rifle Kit Bag
Every Optic is on a LaRue Mount - hands down.

3. I'm still in T&E mode w/the Trijicon MRO.
[One more winter season should confirm]


"Optics - You get what you pay for."
[Some wise man somewhere in history]
__________________
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own.
Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil,
and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda,
they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Jeff Cooper
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 13 September 2017, 22:28
Horned Toad's Avatar
Horned Toad Horned Toad is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 1,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCH View Post
I like the reflex cage/guard on this set up. Is it available for purchase out there, or is it a one-off custom fab thing?
http://www.eurooptic.com/elcan.aspx

very big, very heavy, very pricey (at least for me)

a good 1 x 4(6) scope would be an option, like a red up close, scope if you need it
__________________
75th RGR RGT
RS 03/92
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 14 September 2017, 08:16
mdwest's Avatar
mdwest mdwest is offline
Über Equus Asinus
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: here
Posts: 2,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by glockcqc View Post
I shot, for accuracy & function, pretty much all of the Winchester Md70 Safari Grade rifles that shipped out of the FN plant (ie .375, .416, .458). Though, I used the open sights on the guns, not an optic.

Having practical experience w/that kind of recoil, I recommend you actually call the manufacturer..Trijjicon, Aim Point, etc & ask them & then also ask what happens (ie how you get your money back or a replacement) when it breaks/stops functioning.

Good shooting
Roger.. thats exactly the rifle I am considering mounting an optic to actually (Win 70 / .375) for an upcoming dangerous game hunt (upcoming.. but still over a year away.. just planning, getting gear together, practicing, etc.. )..

I've got the factory irons on the rifle, and currently have a 3-9x42 optic mounted (I used it last year for large plains game).. but am looking at replacing the current scope with something with low variable power (1-4x20?) or possibly a reliable red dot if I could figure out something that can handle the recoil from a couple of hundred training shots and then on the actual hunt itself..
__________________
There are no stupid questions... There are however alot of inquisitive morons..
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 14 September 2017, 20:22
DCH's Avatar
DCH DCH is offline
Callsign: Turkey Bacon
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: SoCAL
Posts: 2,186
I appreciate the direction cashonlycow and horneytoad
__________________
No matter.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 15 September 2017, 15:01
havok88 havok88 is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: US
Posts: 1,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatbedder View Post
EOTechs would not be my favored choice for anything pertaining to combat/practical rifle-craft. regardless of price. I've been dealing with a few EOTech variants since 2010. I'm not talking about a few on my personal weapon[s]. I'm referring to more than 100 units assigned to Rifle-Kits that get hundreds of rounds put thru them a week, thousands a month and so on for the past 7 years. Not to mention the other 'newer'...'updated'...'next-gen' ones - whatever ... NEGATIVE on EOTech.

My money goes to:
1. Aimpoint Micro T-2
and/or
2. Trijicon ACOG variant
[YES - I prefer the Marine Corps model]
However, all the ACOG variants are excellent.

I can't say enough great things about both optics,
That hasn't already been said by SME's here aready.

I run a BCM with 2-Uppers in the Rifle Kit Bag
Every Optic is on a LaRue Mount - hands down.

3. I'm still in T&E mode w/the Trijicon MRO.
[One more winter season should confirm]


"Optics - You get what you pay for."
[Some wise man somewhere in history]
Care to elaborate on these issues, and what models it was?
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 15 September 2017, 15:23
The Fat Guy's Avatar
The Fat Guy The Fat Guy is offline
The Sagacious One
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pushing string down the hall
Posts: 12,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwest View Post
taking the red dot discussion a different direction...

Im looking at options for putting one on a heavy recoiling rifle (.375 H&H).. I want something small, lightweight, and compact.. but that can stand up to the beating that 300gr full power ammo being launched out of the rifle will provide..

Anyone have experience or recommendations here?
I saw later you wanted something in a 1-4 x 20. Look at the NightForce with illum reticle. I had one and it was indestructible. The problem with 1 x anything is that it has to be glasssed down to 1 x. A true 1 x with subsequent magnification is hard to do and the result can cause waves and distortions. You absolutely will not shoot that scope apart either. At about $2k, you would hope not.
__________________
No one will take better care of us, than us: Suicide Hotline: 1-800-273-8255
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Our new posting rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 15:25.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Socnet.com All Rights Reserved
SOCNET