Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 7 August 2017, 13:24
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
Reviving an old thread as I have basically the same question. Currently I have a Vortex 3x on my rifle but want to move that to another rifle and get a reflex sight and was looking at the Sightmark Ultra Shot M-Spec Reflex Sight. The price is descent and it has been getting good reviews online but I'd rather hear from somebody here, anybody have an insight?

Sightmark

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...k_ql_qh_dp_hza

For double the price I can get an EOTech 512.A65 but is it worth the price? I do like that it runs on AA batteries and I'm assuming the EOTech issues are resolved.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...k_ql_qh_dp_hza

I just bought a Vortex SPARC II and mounted it on my MPX. So far I am liking it. $200 at Cabelas.
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate
I am the captain of my soul.
-Invictus
Old 7 August 2017, 13:43
Been There Done That

Vortex are 40% off at expertcity.com every day. most of us qualify to join.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 7 August 2017, 14:04
Been There Done That

I kind of want a reflex sight though and I should have added this to my first post. This is for my suppressed SBR and I'm getting a lot of blowback through the charging handle which isnt really that bad with the proper glasses but if I had to shoot it in an emergency without the glasses I would have to put my nose about 3 or 4 inches from the charging handle so I think a reflex sight would give me a better/faster site picture in that scenario than a scoped red dot. Make sense or am I off base?

The amount of patience I have is proportionate to the number of witnesses present.
Old 7 August 2017, 17:32
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
I kind of want a reflex sight though and I should have added this to my first post. This is for my suppressed SBR and I'm getting a lot of blowback through the charging handle which isnt really that bad with the proper glasses but if I had to shoot it in an emergency without the glasses I would have to put my nose about 3 or 4 inches from the charging handle so I think a reflex sight would give me a better/faster site picture in that scenario than a scoped red dot. Make sense or am I off base?
You can also try a Gemtech "suppressed" BCG. I have one in my suppressed 10.3" SBR, helps with the blowback. I use an Aimpoint PRO on that weapon, but I still keep my nose pretty close to the charging handle w/o getting overgassed in the eye.
Old 9 August 2017, 00:22

I'd go with an MRO. comparable to the T-1 but cheaper
Old 7 September 2017, 14:37
A lost ball in high weeds

FWIW, I picked up a EOTech XPS2-0 today at Whittaker Guns for my turkey/coyote shotgun. They have 15% off guns, ammo, optics in stock. Price was $415 less discount, less EOTech rebate = $278. (plus KY sales tax)

https://shop.whittakerguns.com/
Old 7 September 2017, 15:55
Über Equus Asinus

taking the red dot discussion a different direction...

Im looking at options for putting one on a heavy recoiling rifle (.375 H&H).. I want something small, lightweight, and compact.. but that can stand up to the beating that 300gr full power ammo being launched out of the rifle will provide..

Anyone have experience or recommendations here?
Old 7 September 2017, 21:24
Make a desert and call it peace.

Aimpoint Comp M-whatever.

Have used them on Barret M82's, which actually don't kick that hard. Have used them on slug shotties, which IMO, kick harder. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith
Old 10 September 2017, 21:04
Nurse Ratched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semp View Post
FWIW, I picked up a EOTech XPS2-0 today at Whittaker Guns for my turkey/coyote shotgun. They have 15% off guns, ammo, optics in stock. Price was $415 less discount, less EOTech rebate = $278. (plus KY sales tax)

https://shop.whittakerguns.com/

I haven't been since they opened the new store but its only about 30 minutes from me. 90% of my gun purchases are from there as they have the best price by far.

Col. Robert W. Black
Old 12 September 2017, 09:49
Callsign: Turkey Bacon

I like the reflex cage/guard on this set up. Is it available for purchase out there, or is it a one-off custom fab thing?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0359.jpg (42.7 KB, 178 views)
Old 13 September 2017, 00:03
Nurse Ratched

I thought at one time Larue made one?

Col. Robert W. Black
Old 13 September 2017, 02:44
BTDT

Safari Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwest View Post

Im looking at options for putting one on a heavy recoiling rifle (.375 H&H).. I want something small, lightweight, and compact.. but that can stand up to the beating that 300gr full power ammo being launched out of the rifle will provide..

I shot, for accuracy & function, pretty much all of the Winchester Md70 Safari Grade rifles that shipped out of the FN plant (ie .375, .416, .458). Though, I used the open sights on the guns, not an optic.

Having practical experience w/that kind of recoil, I recommend you actually call the manufacturer..Trijjicon, Aim Point, etc & ask them & then also ask what happens (ie how you get your money back or a replacement) when it breaks/stops functioning.

Good shooting
Old 13 September 2017, 04:03
Confirmed User

I have seen various makes and models... try a Google search using words like MRDS, shroud, protection, wings, guards etc.

I have no personal experience with them, been an Aimpoint T1 user and banged that hell outta it with no issues.

Here is one:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...tective-mount/
Old 13 September 2017, 09:00
Chuck Norris Approved

Leupold LCO

This is what I have on my 10.5" Daniel Defense SBR. While it is pricey compared to may other sights, it meets my needs and wants. I have had a lot of different vortex glass and can not say anything bad about the ones that I have owned.
Old 13 September 2017, 15:15
Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stallion View Post
I built up an M4 and am now looking for some optics. EO techs are good but pricy. Does anybody any any suggestions on some good mid price range optics that wont turn my M4 into a "crew served weapon" weight wise.
Thanks!
EOTechs would not be my favored choice for anything pertaining to combat/practical rifle-craft. regardless of price. I've been dealing with a few EOTech variants since 2010. I'm not talking about a few on my personal weapon[s]. I'm referring to more than 100 units assigned to Rifle-Kits that get hundreds of rounds put thru them a week, thousands a month and so on for the past 7 years. Not to mention the other 'newer'...'updated'...'next-gen' ones - whatever ... NEGATIVE on EOTech.

My money goes to:
1. Aimpoint Micro T-2
and/or
2. Trijicon ACOG variant
[YES - I prefer the Marine Corps model]
However, all the ACOG variants are excellent.

I can't say enough great things about both optics,
That hasn't already been said by SME's here aready.

I run a BCM with 2-Uppers in the Rifle Kit Bag
Every Optic is on a LaRue Mount - hands down.

3. I'm still in T&E mode w/the Trijicon MRO.
[One more winter season should confirm]

"Optics - You get what you pay for."
[Some wise man somewhere in history]
they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Jeff Cooper
Old 13 September 2017, 22:28
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCH View Post
I like the reflex cage/guard on this set up. Is it available for purchase out there, or is it a one-off custom fab thing?
http://www.eurooptic.com/elcan.aspx

very big, very heavy, very pricey (at least for me)

a good 1 x 4(6) scope would be an option, like a red up close, scope if you need it
Old 14 September 2017, 08:16
Über Equus Asinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockcqc View Post
I shot, for accuracy & function, pretty much all of the Winchester Md70 Safari Grade rifles that shipped out of the FN plant (ie .375, .416, .458). Though, I used the open sights on the guns, not an optic.

Having practical experience w/that kind of recoil, I recommend you actually call the manufacturer..Trijjicon, Aim Point, etc & ask them & then also ask what happens (ie how you get your money back or a replacement) when it breaks/stops functioning.

Good shooting
Roger.. thats exactly the rifle I am considering mounting an optic to actually (Win 70 / .375) for an upcoming dangerous game hunt (upcoming.. but still over a year away.. just planning, getting gear together, practicing, etc.. )..

I've got the factory irons on the rifle, and currently have a 3-9x42 optic mounted (I used it last year for large plains game).. but am looking at replacing the current scope with something with low variable power (1-4x20?) or possibly a reliable red dot if I could figure out something that can handle the recoil from a couple of hundred training shots and then on the actual hunt itself..
Old 14 September 2017, 20:22
Callsign: Turkey Bacon

I appreciate the direction cashonlycow and horneytoad
Old 15 September 2017, 15:01
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatbedder View Post
EOTechs would not be my favored choice for anything pertaining to combat/practical rifle-craft. regardless of price. I've been dealing with a few EOTech variants since 2010. I'm not talking about a few on my personal weapon[s]. I'm referring to more than 100 units assigned to Rifle-Kits that get hundreds of rounds put thru them a week, thousands a month and so on for the past 7 years. Not to mention the other 'newer'...'updated'...'next-gen' ones - whatever ... NEGATIVE on EOTech.

My money goes to:
1. Aimpoint Micro T-2
and/or
2. Trijicon ACOG variant
[YES - I prefer the Marine Corps model]
However, all the ACOG variants are excellent.

I can't say enough great things about both optics,
That hasn't already been said by SME's here aready.

I run a BCM with 2-Uppers in the Rifle Kit Bag
Every Optic is on a LaRue Mount - hands down.

3. I'm still in T&E mode w/the Trijicon MRO.
[One more winter season should confirm]

"Optics - You get what you pay for."
[Some wise man somewhere in history]
Care to elaborate on these issues, and what models it was?
Old 15 September 2017, 15:23
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwest View Post

I saw later you wanted something in a 1-4 x 20. Look at the NightForce with illum reticle. I had one and it was indestructible. The problem with 1 x anything is that it has to be glasssed down to 1 x. A true 1 x with subsequent magnification is hard to do and the result can cause waves and distortions. You absolutely will not shoot that scope apart either. At about $2k, you would hope not.

Our new posting rules