Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 9 December 2008, 10:50
Sound off for equipment check!

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy...

Next will be the denials, ad nauseum. Any comments from the local folks?
Quote:
Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich was taken into federal custody at his North Side home, The Chicago Tribune reported Tuesday, the next step in a three-year federal corruption investigation of "pay-to-play politics" in the governor's administration.
Link.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” ~Patrick Henry

"Sēlre bið æghwæm þæt hē his frēond wrece, þonne hē fela murne." ~Bēowulf, bearn Ecgþēowes
Old 9 December 2008, 11:02
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longrifle View Post
Next will be the denials, ad nauseum. Any comments from the local folks?

Link.
The persecution of Governor Blagojevich is obviously politically motivated. Oh well if he can only hang on for another two months his buddy can pardon him and he can get to the business of stealing from the people of Illinois. Even better he could name himself as Obama's replacement to the Senate where he would fit right in.
Old 9 December 2008, 11:09
^^Female^^

The "audicity of arrogance" is that he did all this while already under federal investigation and scrutiny for other corruption issues.

Ah, Chicago politics....I wonder how far down, or should I say up, this will trickle???
Old 9 December 2008, 14:12
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb88 View Post
Ah, Chicago politics....I wonder how far down, or should I say up, this will trickle???
The best part of all of them already trickled.....

down the inside of their mother's leg...:D
Old 9 December 2008, 14:22
Authorized Personnel

This could be fun.....

Quote:
Blagojevich arrest taints Obama senate replacement process
By

Lynn Sweet
on December 9, 2008 10:29 AM | Permalink | Comments (0)

WASHINGTON--Gov. Blagojevich's arrest Tuesday morning--and the criminal complaint filed against him alleging he was almost trying to sell the Senate appointment to replace President-elect Barack Obama--injects a high element of confusion into what the federal prosecutors are calling a tainted appointment process.

Top line questions:
*Will Blagojevich now attempt to make any appointment?
*Would any of the contenders jockeying for the spot take it if it put them under a cloud?
Quote:
Charges claim Illinois Governor Blagojevich sought to sell Obama's Senate seat

December 9, 2008

BY SUN-TIMES STAFF

Gov. Blagojevich considered the Senate seat vacated by Barack Obama “golden” and vowed he was “just not giving it up for [expletive] nothing. I’m not gonna do it,” according to federal charges unsealed today against the governor.

Blagojevich held the power to fill the vacancy and, he made clear, if he couldn’t find anyone willing to pay for it, “I can always use it. I can parachute me there,” a federal affidavit states.

In exchange for the Senate appointment, Blagojevich allegedly discussed obtaining:

• A substantial salary for himself at a either a non-profit foundation or an organization affiliated with labor unions.

• Placing his wife on paid corporate boards where he speculated she might garner as much as $150,000 a year.

• Promises of campaign funds — including cash up front.

• A cabinet post or ambassadorship for himself.

Throughout the intercepted conversations, Blagojevich also allegedly spent significant time weighing the option of appointing himself to the open Senate seat and expressed a variety of reasons for doing so, including: frustration at being “stuck” as governor; a belief that he will be able to obtain greater resources if he is indicted as a sitting Senator as opposed to a sitting governor; a desire to remake his image in consideration of a possible run for President in 2016; avoiding impeachment by the Illinois legislature; making corporate contacts that would be of value to him after leaving public office; facilitating his wife’s employment as a lobbyist; and generating speaking fees should he decide to leave public office.

In the earliest intercepted conversation about the Senate seat described in the affidavit, Blagojevich said if he is not going to get anything of value for the open seat, then he will take it for himself: “If . . . they’re not going to offer anything of any value, then I might just take it.”

Later that day, speaking to Advisor A, Blagojevich allegedly said: “I’m going to keep this Senate option for me a real possibility, you know, and therefore I can drive a hard bargain.” He added later that the seat “is a [expletive] valuable thing, you just don’t give it away for nothing.”

Over the next couple of days — Election Day and the day after — Blagojevich was allegedly captured discussing with Deputy Governor A whether he could obtain a cabinet position, such as Secretary of Health and Human Services or the Department of Energy or various ambassadorships.

In a conversation with his chief of staff John Harris on Nov. 4, Blagojevich compared his situation to that of a sports agent shopping a potential free agent to the highest bidder. The day after the election, Harris allegedly suggested to Blagojevich that Obama could make him the head of a private foundation.

Later on Nov. 5, Blagojevich said to Advisor A, “I’ve got this thing and it’s [expletive] golden, and, uh, uh, I’m just not giving it up for [expletive] nothing. I’m not gonna do it. And, and I can always use it. I can parachute me there,” the affidavit states.

Two days later, in a three-way call with Harris and Advisor B, a consultant in Washington, Blagojevich and the others allegedly discussed the prospect of a three-way deal for the Senate appointment involving an organization called “Change to Win,” which is affiliated with various unions including the Service Employees International Union (SEIU).

On Nov. 10, Blagojevich, his wife, Harris, Governor General Counsel, Advisor B and other Washington-based advisors participated at different times in a two-hour phone call in which they allegedly discussed, among other things, a deal involving the SEIU.

Harris allegedly said they could work out a deal with the union and the President-elect where SEIU could help the President-elect with Blagojevich’s appointment of Senate Candidate 1, while Blagojevich would obtain a position as the national director of the Change to Win campaign and SEIU would get something favorable from the President-elect in the future.

Also during that call, Blagojevich agreed it was unlikely that Obama would name him Secretary of Health and Human Services or give him an ambassadorship because of all of the negative publicity surrounding him, according to the complaint.

In a conversation with Harris on Nov. 11, the charges state, Blagojevich said he knew Obama wanted Senate Candidate 1 for the open seat but “they’re not willing to give me anything except appreciation. [Expletive] them.”

Earlier in that conversation, Blagojevich suggested starting a 501(c)(4) non-profit organization, which he could head and engage in political activity and lobbying. In that conversation with Harris and other discussions with him and others over the next couple of days, Blagojevich suggested by name several well-known, wealthy individuals who could be prevailed upon to seed such an organization with $10 million to $15 million, and suggesting that he could take the organization’s reins when he is no longer governor, according to the affidavit.

On Nov. 12, Blagojevich spoke with SEIU Official who was in Washington. This conversation occurred about a week after Blagojevich had met with SEIU Official to discuss the Senate seat, with the understanding that the union official was an emissary to discuss Senate Candidate 1's interest in the Senate seat.

During the Nov. 12 conversation, Blagojevich allegedly explained the non-profit organization idea to SEIU Official and said that it could help Senate Candidate 1. The union official agreed to “put that flag up and see where it goes,” although the official also had said he wasn’t certain if Senate Candidate 1 wanted the official to keep pushing her candidacy. Senate Candidate 1 eventually removed herself from consideration for the open seat.

Also on Nov. 12, in a conversation with Harris, the complaint affidavit states that Blagojevich said his decision about the open Senate seat will be based on three criteria in the following order of importance: “Our legal situation, our personal situation, my political situation. This decision, like every other one, needs to be based upon that. Legal. Personal. Political.”

Harris said: “Legal is the hardest one to satisfy.”

Blagojevich said that his legal problems could be solved by naming himself to the Senate seat.

As recently as Dec. 4, in separate conversations with Advisor B and Fundraiser A, Blagojevich said that he was “elevating” Senate Candidate 5 on the list of candidates because, among other reasons, if Blagojevich ran for re-election, Senate Candidate 5 would “raise money” for him.

Blagojevich said that he might be able to cut a deal with Senate Candidate 5 that provided Blagojevich with something “tangible up front.”

Noting that he was going to meet with Senate Candidate 5 in the next few days, Blagojevich told Fundraiser A to reach out to an intermediary (Individual D), from whom Blagojevich is attempting to obtain campaign contributions and who Blagojevich believes is close to Senate Candidate 5.

Blagojevich told Fundraiser A to tell Individual D that Senate Candidate 5 was a very realistic candidate but Blagojevich was getting a lot of pressure not to appoint Senate Candidate 5, according to the affidavit.

Blagojevich allegedly told Fundraiser A to tell Individual D that if Senate Candidate 5 is going to be chosen, “some of this stuff’s gotta start happening now . . . right now . . . and we gotta see it.”

Blagojevich continued, “You gotta be careful how you express that and assume everybody’s listening, the whole world is listening. You hear me?”
Old 9 December 2008, 14:31
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb88 View Post
The "audicity of arrogance" is that he did all this while already under federal investigation and scrutiny for other corruption issues....
+100

I cannot fathom how bold this guy is. Your the governor. Your predecessor (Ryan) is currently serving 6 years in prison for corruption. Your best buddy (Rezko) is in Jail for corruption and is cooperating with LEO. You know that the FBI is actively investigating you and your administration for corruption. So what do you do? You try to figure out a way to SELL a seat one of your state's two seats on the U.S. Senate. THE FUCKING SENATE!! What the fuck was this guy thinking?

Is two elected Governors in a row being indicted (and most likely sent to prison) a record? The most depressing thing is I am not even surpised he would try to sell the seat. I'm just shocked he would be so stupid as to try something like this while under so much scrutiny. I live in the most corrupt city, in the most corrupt state, in the country. Its so fucked up that I am actually used to it now.
Old 9 December 2008, 14:41
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjon77 View Post
+100

I cannot fathom how bold this guy is. Your the governor. Your predecessor (Ryan) is currently serving 6 years in prison for corruption. Your best buddy (Rezko) is in Jail for corruption and is cooperating with LEO. You know that the FBI is actively investigating you and your administration for corruption. So what do you do? You try to figure out a way to SELL a seat one of your state's two seats on the U.S. Senate. THE FUCKING SENATE!! What the fuck was this guy thinking?

Is two elected Governors in a row being indicted (and most likely sent to prison) a record? The most depressing thing is I am not even surpised he would try to sell the seat. I'm just shocked he would be so stupid as to try something like this while under so much scrutiny. I live in the most corrupt city, in the most corrupt state, in the country. Its so fucked up that I am actually used to it now.
The only logical answer is that he is quite literally insane. No person of sound mind would do what he did knowing full well that he was a target of a federal criminal probe.

I am just glad that for once that it is someone else's state government that is an embarrassment instead of mine.
Old 9 December 2008, 15:02
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberneck View Post
The only logical answer is that he is quite literally insane. No person of sound mind would do what he did knowing full well that he was a target of a federal criminal probe.

I am just glad that for once that it is someone else's state government that is an embarrassment instead of mine.
Don't give Blago any ideas, he just might use insanity as a defense :D
Old 9 December 2008, 15:04
Old and Grumpy

Everyone in Illinois knew the feds were after him. Just plain arrogance is all I can say about him. He's been a douchebag since the day he took office. Our last governor was a Republican, he's in the clink. Blago is a Dem, and he is going to the stripey hole also. We are equal opportunity in this state.
Old 9 December 2008, 15:07
What you mean badges? I no got to show you no stinkin badges.

Quote:
Democratic commentator Bob Beckel described him exactly like you did. I have to agree. No one in their right mind could be this stupid. Insanity is the only explanation and that should be his plea when his case goes to trial.
Old 9 December 2008, 15:16
regular speed jerk, not a high speed jerk

Yeah, I would love to say I noted here (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php...light=illinois)...

But of course any half literate, one eyed, deaf, 9 year old with a learning disability saw this coming...

What i dont think we really understood was just how STUPID he was. I mean going out YESTERDAY and and saying on TV that if anyone wanted to record him go ahead! He deserves what he is getting.
Old 9 December 2008, 15:43
Administrator

I think this charge hits to the core of his shitty career:

Quote:
The prosecutor also cited another instance in which Blagojevich allegedly said he wanted to pull back $8 million in funding from the Children's Memorial Hospital in Chicago because he did not receive a 50,000 dollar personal contribution he had wanted from the hospital.

Loved by few, judged by many
Old 9 December 2008, 15:57
Authorized Personnel

Stupidity? I don't think so.... The level and type of actions that have brought him to this can come only from Arrogance. Arrogance in itself; can be called stupidity. But with so many political figures that go down like this; they don't just FEEL they are above this, but KNOW they are above this. They exist in a rarefied state that no one dares tell them NO. Like a sucking chest wound is natures way of telling you to slow down; a federal indictment is for these people the first does of reality in years.
Old 9 December 2008, 16:16
Make a desert and call it peace.

Arrogance doesn't begin to cover it, the word everyone is looking for is megalomania. Blowjobovich is simply one of the political class, he's obviously entitled to all he gets. Think Nero, think Caligula. The entire political system in IL(I suspect elsewhere too) is bankrupt. The majority of voters don't care as long as they get their bread and circuses(welfare/public aid and any # of various government benefits) It's disgusting, it's all about who can promise the voters more slop from the government trough.

S/F.....Ken M

Addendum: I look forward to Hot Rod testing his "testicular virility" in prison. It's a local joke.
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith
Old 9 December 2008, 16:35
Cry havoc

Let the games begin.

Two eyes from the east.
Old 9 December 2008, 16:46
No one special

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjon77 View Post
+100

With the world's largest criminal justice system if I remember right!

WTF is the matter with the politicians in this state???
Old 9 December 2008, 18:25
Brat

Quote:

Never underestimate the power of greed and stupidity!!
Old 9 December 2008, 18:57
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longrifle View Post
Any comments from the local folks?
This is Illinois. I wouldn't know where to begin...
Old 9 December 2008, 19:00
Old and Grumpy

Add to the above, we have probably the toughest federal prosecuter in the country, Peter Fitzgerald. As you guys would say, poor situational awareness by Blago.
Old 9 December 2008, 19:11
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldpogue View Post
Add to the above, we have probably the toughest federal prosecuter in the country, Peter Fitzgerald. As you guys would say, poor situational awareness by Blago.
Actually, Peter Fitzgerald was the former Senator who got him the job, OP. Pat Fitzgerald is the US Attorney. I wasn't a big fan of Peter (personal encounter at the bank his father owned swayed my opinion of him forever), but I'll give him credit for getting Patrick Fitzgerald appointed.

As you know, nobody in this state, Republican or Democrat, wanted the guy appointed in the first place, and they've been trying to get rid of him ever since.

That guy is relentless when it comes to official misconduct.

Our new posting rules