SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 24 September 2017, 22:04
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
They are hypocrites because the reason they are treated the way they are treated is due to the stereotype developed by a large portion of the population that:

1. Receives public assistance as a way of life
2. Refuses to be fathers to their children
3. Kills other black men
How are they, individually, responsible for the stereotype? Sure, a lot of them are quasi-SJW, sociology majors who parrot what their professors told them about "oppression." But, a lot of these guys actually do walk the walk and do all the things people tell them they should be doing "in the community." Are they really hypocrites or "crybabies" for protesting? And since when is it incumbent upon black people to personally overcome a stereotype in order to have an opinion on something that they perceive as affecting "their community"?

It's my opinion that they're tragically misguided. They should have known how their actions would be perceived (and distorted). And their actions are counterproductive, turning the one thing we all still do together into another stupid cultural divide. I'd tell every one of them that to their faces. But I'm also not going to pretend like I'd "fire" any one of them if I were an owner. Is it really that unhealthy for them to be doing this? Does it affect how they play the game? I'd probably give them each a book to read and tell them to stop being such drama queens. And I'd probably tell them to run at least 3 yards into the end zone before gloating.
Old 24 September 2017, 22:14
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
I smell your homosexuality all the way in the midwest.
I'm gay because I'm a football fan or because I'm pleased that the team I support didn't make a mockery of themselves by disrespecting the national anthem by kneeling?
19 Oct 2017
Old 24 September 2017, 22:26
Drawing my cutlass

Alejandro Villanueva was the lone Steeler to stand during the National Anthem. Most everyone here knows the reason why.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 24 September 2017, 22:28
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoZeroSix View Post
I'm gay because I'm a football fan or because I'm pleased that the team I support didn't make a mockery of themselves by disrespecting the national anthem by kneeling?
That's like the least thing you're gay about...
Old 24 September 2017, 23:00
Reverse Apache Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
I seriously doubt that Jerry Jones gave his players any threatening ultimatum; he knows better than to paint himself into a corner like that. What's he gonna do, get rid of Dak Prescott and/or Ezekiel Elliot if they kneel?

Right.
After a little research, I found that while, yes, I had indeed read from multiple sources that he did, it has since been proven to be false. No Cowboys players have knelt or staged any other form of protest, so I assumed that it was because he had made the rule. In fact, it seems that the team has some good leadership and has decided amongst themselves not to protest the Anthem. Either way, good on them.

Giving the enemy a boner is half the battle. --Jungle Recon
Old 24 September 2017, 23:08
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR.Montcalm View Post
Actually, the teams could afford to play in empty stadiums- most of their money comes in the form of merchandising, franchising on gear, clothes, hats, etc., and contracts they have with the networks and advertisers.

Fan attendance is icing on the cake-unless you're a team like Jax that has fallen flat on its collective ass...
Looks like the NFL is losing ad revenue. I also recall hearing merchandise sales were also down, but I didn't find anything with my quick search on Google.

http://www.breitbart.com/sports/2017/09/21/networks-could-lose-200-million-nfl-ratings-slide-continues/
Old 24 September 2017, 23:49
Life is simple, not easy.

The Browns lost. Again. In case anyone was wondering. If they can put together four quarters they might win a few games. Just saying. Still thinking 5-6 wins.
Old 25 September 2017, 08:03
RIP Cass and SOTB

The Jaguars had a surprising win this weekend. I honestly expected them to get crushed by the Ravens. Even more of a surprise: Blake Bortles threw passes to our team and not the opposition. The defense played great. Hopefully the momentum carries over o next week and we beat the Jets!
Old 25 September 2017, 08:17
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by havok88 View Post
They will allow this shit but doing something to honor the police officers killed in Dallas is where the NFL draws the line.
And this is my biggest problem with it all. NFL and that pussy Goodell, won't allow players to honor 9/11 victims and/or LEO with special patches, shoes, etc. But, allows players to kneel citing 1A rights(and he's correct), but he's a pussy, because he doesn't want to be branded a racist, if he says that they should stand.
On the POTUS, it's like please, just drop the tweeter thing for once. You were finally gaining some traction with people(after the UN speech), and now ruin it all with stupid shit. Sir, your job is to run the country to the best of your ability, which I think you can do, if you quit getting caught up in the white noise.

Last edited by billdawg24; 25 September 2017 at 08:25.
Old 25 September 2017, 08:40
Reverse Apache Master

Now the story is how Villanueva is the one going against the grain. See how that subtle narrative shift happened? The guys protesting aren't the ones doing anything. It's the people who are being normal who are abnormal.

Giving the enemy a boner is half the battle. --Jungle Recon
Old 25 September 2017, 08:40
Confirmed User

All it is, is manufactured outrage. Players to this point really did not have anything to lose because it was just the fans and odd and ends in the media talking about it. But POTUS addressing ownership? That's a whole 'nother kettle of fish, and owners are where rubber meets the road with $.

Up to two (3?) years ago it wasn't even an issue. Now it is? Give me a fucking break with your faux-but-en vogue outrage.

And those stupid fuckers in England, kneeling for the US National Anthem but standing for God Save the Queen? Are they so utterly retarded to not see the queen as representative of the government that brought slaves to the New World in the first place? The same government that placed restrictions on freedom of speech and freedom of the press? To peaceably assemble? Man, those players are just, well, ignorant.
Old 25 September 2017, 08:45
Shakin' the bush Boss

Quote:
Villanueva is the one going against the grain
This is obviously speculation, but he may be the square peg anyway. I'm sure his team mates bitch a lot about how terribly they're treated and how they go to war every sunday, blah, blah, blah. I would guess that doesn't fly to well with Villanueva.
Old 25 September 2017, 09:01
Been There Done That

We'll see when the latest game ratings come out.

See if there is some fire under the smoke. Down 5% from last week and some will see a trend.

About the same as last week and it proves there's a lot off internet heat but folks are still stepping away from the keyboard and turning on the TV for the latest game.
Old 25 September 2017, 09:22
Clorox bearer for SOTB

If you as a person are disturbed by their actions, your recourse is simple. Don't give them your money, and don't give their sponsors your money. Write to their sponsors and tell them you will no longer buy their products because of the PUBLIC demonstration against our country. Show your displeasure by keeping your money, and start watching something else.

As far as those players go... they are unfortunately role models, put up on a pedestal for playing a game well. Some of them deserve to be role models, and act the part. They don't anger me, I feel sad for them. Perhaps too many head impacts?

As far as POTUS goes, someone needs to take his phone from his hands, and shove it up his ass. Dear Donald, there IS such a thing as TOO MUCH communication.

If gun control laws controlled crime, we wouldn't need cops.
Quote:
Finally, I believe that punishing lawful gun owners by creating new, more onerous laws, and restricting Constitutionally guaranteed rights, when we already don't enforce the tens of thousands of gun laws we have on the books, is like beating your dog because the neighbor's dog shit in your yard.
"The Reaper"
Old 25 September 2017, 09:25
Über Equus Asinus

Im all for freedoms..

They are free to act like clowns...

And I am free to spend my money and time on other endeavors..

Let the free market reign.. When enough people decide they wont attend games, wont watch them on TV, wont buy jerseys and caps, etc.. owners and coaches will take action.. football is a business after all..

Until then.. doesnt matter.. if others want to give these douchebags their money and continue to support the league.. then their behavior will continue (it potentially could get worse).. doesnt have any impact on me though since I wont be watching, spending, or giving a shit..

What the QB or DE for the Chiefs, Steelers, Cowboys, Chargers, or Redskins do during the National Anthem matters to me about as much as whether Kim Kardashian's booty was photoshopped in her most recent photos..

Neither of them get my money, my attention, or an ounce of give a shit from me..
Old 25 September 2017, 09:29
Been There Done That

and you hit the nail on the head with your comparison. Not much difference these days bewtween the two - professional sports and the Kardashians.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 25 September 2017, 09:35
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS11 View Post
See how that subtle narrative shift happened? The guys protesting aren't the ones doing anything. It's the people who are being normal who are abnormal.
^^^^This...and it relates to a lot of other subjects in our fucking 21st century

"Either go Genghis Khan, or go home..." - Leopardprey
Old 25 September 2017, 09:40
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
The Browns lost. Again. In case anyone was wondering. If they can put together four quarters they might win a few games. Just saying. Still thinking 5-6 wins.
They might have a chance of at least a 50/50 season if they hired Tebow- look what he did for the Broncos...

and I'd support his reason to kneel.
Old 25 September 2017, 09:41
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS11 View Post
Now the story is how Villanueva is the one going against the grain. See how that subtle narrative shift happened? The guys protesting aren't the ones doing anything. It's the people who are being normal who are abnormal.
I was reading this a few minutes ago. The article made mike Tomlin sound like a huge turd. Good for Villanueva for doing what's right. To me it's obsurd for Tomlin to think he would join in on their shenanigans.
Old 25 September 2017, 09:59
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by havok88 View Post
The article made mike Tomlin sound like a huge turd.
FWIW, journalists love turning Tomlin into a controversy. The Pittsburgh media market loves a malleable Tomlin quote because it sells ads. I stopped clicking on anything Tomlin about 6 months after moving here, because it's virtually all bullshit clickbait.

Our new posting rules