Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 16 September 2006, 12:17

I just bought a .45 XD, and I love it so far. Its great to have those 13+1 .45 rounds in a relatively small package. The few rounds i've put through it have been great.
Old 19 September 2006, 22:25
Confirmed Paratrooper

I have a G23 & a Colt M1991A1. The Glock rocks, but if it puts rounds down range, it works for a last chance. Seriously, one do all pistol? I'd take an old worn out, beat up M9. It's free, and nothing can be more jacked up than the M9s we had in AIT, yet 19/20 of them fired flawlessly (one had a broken guide rod). Privates literally poured Camp Mackall sand into CLP drenched slides, and they continued to fire. Trigger pull was like butter after probably 10k rounds or more.
  • Competent Special Operations Forces cannot be created after emergencies occur.
Secure the Victory
Old 6 October 2006, 01:42
Probationary User

I DO like my Colt .45's, particularly my CCO...and, as trailrunner said, a .22 conversion unit is a nice add on. It would be my choice, if a choice were given.
I like the XD's as well.....I think they'll hold up well...the local range has a few rentals that have been abused and still work fine.....I get to try the XD .45 this Sunday! Have a .40 subcompact.
I have no beef with the Glock guys...they are like the energizer bunny rabbit of service pistols.....they just do not fit my hand well(point high) and do not conceal as nice as the 1911.
Sigs and H&K's are good too and if you like 'em and can afford 'em....go for it!!
I think the Beretta is a bit big for size of projectile it launches, but I cannot say anything bad about its reliability or accuracy.
The Nine (especially in ball format)is not my first choice, but much better than throwing rocks! It's hard to throw sand at 1200 FPS!!
My choice is still the 1911....
Old 9 October 2006, 15:34
Probationary User

Well as long as i get to use a good expanding bullet (current favorite is Hornady TAP) then i will never feel nervous about having my G19 on my side. Light weight easy to conceal while wearing just about anything and 15 rounds...Not too much to be mad at there. But I've yet to find anything more reassuring then a nice high quality 1911 in the hand
Old 10 October 2006, 02:44

Ed Brown Kobra Carry. Bar none the best shooter I've owned thus far. It's trigger breaks so sharply it almost scares you (read: NO CREEP!).

I have a Glock 19 that I can't seem to get rid of! It's always hanging around in my truck, boat, you name it. I recently sold off a handful of pistols including a Sig P229, but for some odd reason I couldn't part with the Glock. It's an ugly pistol that just holds a special place in my heart! :D
Old 30 November 2006, 20:55
Professional Amateur

CZ75 for the following reasons:

Commonality of ammo
Accuracy (slide inside frame design)
Reliability (Browning HP variant)
It fits my hand and goes bang every time i squeeze the trigger

In addition iot was endorsed by no less than Col. Cooper (supposing one must carry a minor caliber weapon)
Old 30 November 2006, 23:37
Deleted Member

Llama Mark V...9mm, if interested in a small, accurate, dependable and inexpensive pistol.
Old 1 December 2006, 04:49
Overseas Gunplumber

Llama? Was that for real or some kind of joke? Most of those things are utter crap.

I have been to some armorer courses.

Owner- Semper Paratus Arms, LLC
Old 1 December 2006, 09:09
Deleted Member

For real
Old 2 December 2006, 01:41
Been There Done That

Yeah, I'd have to agree with a bunch of the folks above...

A 1911 and knowing a few good gunsmiths can be a wonderful thing.
- "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on to them to do the same or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when we were free." -- Ronald Reagan 1911-2004
Old 2 December 2006, 01:54
Carl Spackler
Visitor

G21 w/TZZ Mil issue.
Old 2 December 2006, 02:16
Confirmed User

What happens if I don't want just one hand gun?
Old 2 December 2006, 02:31
Carl Spackler
Visitor

Yeah...who will be the indians?
Old 2 December 2006, 02:36
Been There, Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrunner78
I always loved the BHP, it was the first pistol I ever bought. If it was for personal defense against people only, ie. urban area, and I could use modern hollowpoints, cool.
But only one gun means all situations/circumstances, so I'm gonna have to go with 1911. Good with either FMJ or HP, whichever you could get, and big enough for Mr. Bear......certainly better than 9mm...

Add a .22 top end in the ruck, gives me more options and it's still the same one gun....... :)

I like the BHP/1911 thumb safety, and the 1911 grip safety has never bothered me.
I'd be a little dubious about shooting Mr. Bear with a .45, especially a Kodiak or Grizzly. I've seen some local Black bears, that I'd thing twice about before shooting, with any pistol rounds even a 44 Magnum with a six inch barrel. I would only shoot if it was attacking me. I'd hate to PO a Big Bear!

When I backpack or day hike I carry a 10 MM Glock. I'd rather carry a 12 GA with slugs and I would, in both Canada (If allowed.) or Alaska. There are a few Grizzlys here in Washington; however not as many as in British Columbia or of course Alaska. Lots of large Black bears though.
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.- T.E. Lawrence, "The Seven Pillars of Wisdom"
Old 2 December 2006, 03:29
Been There Done That

Montana Wisdom on handguns vs Griz.

TW, seems common backwoods wisdom in MT agrees with your opinion;
This joke I heard in a Great Falls MT Gun shop.

Hiker: I need some .44 Mag ammo.

Shopkeeper: What kind, I mean what do you need?

Hiker: Whatever is best for Grizzly Bears, I have a S&W model 629.

Shopkeeper: How long is the barrel?

Hiker: Barrel? It's 6 1/2"...why?

Shopkeeper: Because the longer the barrel, the worse it hurts when the Griz' shoves it up your ass.

Last edited by NightLandNav; 2 December 2006 at 03:49.
Old 2 December 2006, 09:33
Authorized Personnel

I'm going to go against the grain on this one. While I carry a Glock and own a buttload of handguns, if I could only have one for when I'm home. It would be a quality, stainless steel, double action, 357 mag with a 4 inch if I had to use only factory ammo. If I could reload the the above in 41 Mag.

The reason being it would be good carry pistol for when I'm on the ranch, good defense weapon. Big enough to kill a man or a deer at short range, shotshells for Mr.Noshoulders on the river or I likely concel it when I have to go to town.

Still a compromise, but one I could live with.

Confirmed as a"Cynical, Sarcastic, Bastard" by a co-worker in Mosul Iraq 22 May 2006.

"I'm a Black Jew at a Nazi Klan rally. LET'S GET IT ON!" Ted Nugent 2008

"I'm a fairly dangerous man when I'm scared!"
Old 2 December 2006, 13:02
Been There Done That

Killing a bear with a .45 would depend on the .45,,, I have a grizzly winmag, not a pistol I shoot everyday, or carry everywhere but it is an interesting handgun
Old 2 December 2006, 13:36
Authorized Personnel

.45 for Bear

Only .45 I would use would be an old 45-70.
Old 2 December 2006, 14:02
Confirmed Abuser

[quote=Trip_Wire]I'd be a little dubious about shooting Mr. Bear with a .45, especially a Kodiak or Grizzly. I've seen some local Black bears, that I'd thing twice about before shooting, with any pistol rounds even a 44 Magnum with a six inch barrel. I would only shoot if it was attacking me. I'd hate to PO a Big Bear![quote]

I respectfully have a differing opinon in regarding the .44 mag on Black bear, although I would not want this cal for Alaskan Brown, I have taken two black bears with my .44 Redhawk, 240gr handloads, the effects were devestating.
Just past the skin at point of entry, I could literally run my fist through the entry wound up to my elbow. The muscle and vital around the bullet path were turned to jelly. I was very impressed how the .44 performed.

Both boars were roughly 400 lbs, with two shots needed for lethal take down. Even if the brutes were 600 lbs, I have no doubt .44 mag is up to the challange, I would definately want an extra gun for backup, and I might shit my pants taking the shot on a 600 pounder but, thats why you bring extra skivies.:D
Old 2 December 2006, 14:02
Been There, Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch8654
Only .45 I would use would be an old 45-70.
I'm with you!

I still like that 12 GA with slugs though!!
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.- T.E. Lawrence, "The Seven Pillars of Wisdom"

Our new posting rules