SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 16 April 2010, 08:52
Not again!

Compression Garments

I have searched the net for research projects into this but came up short.
I have a 3 day selection course coming up and I am from a warm to hot climate and the course is in a coldish climate.

What are peoples opinions on wearing compression garments like "SKINS" for the whole duration. In relation to climate, muscle fatigue etc etc.

Cheers

Ramma
Old 16 April 2010, 09:15
Confirmed User

If you decide to use them make sure you train with them before you do the selection course. Don't give Murphy something extra to fuck with you.

Winston Churchill

Put a small child in a playpen with an apple and a bunny. If s/he eats the apple and plays with the bunny, s/he's normal;but if s/he eats the bunny and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car. Somewhere along the line we must have been TAUGHT to do the wrong thing.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 16 April 2010, 09:42
Policeman Officer

I'd be concerned about being able to remove and add layers quickly as you warmed up, cooled again, etc. I don't know how cold the climate is where you're going, but it could easily be too warm for something like that. Who knows, something to keep in mind.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 14 June 2010, 21:06

No movement in snivel :) It's nice when you start off but a bitch once you get toasty.
Old 14 June 2010, 21:25
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Like everyone else has stated, how easy will it be to shed that shit once you get some warmth going on? OTOH, does this stuff wick water away from your body? That might be something worthwhile.

I find that when I'm moving hard, that first layer needs to be something that doesn't stay wet, and the second layer often simply loose and allowing that first layer to breathe. I also like that that second layer is stupid easy to dry as well -- nothing like getting your second layer wet, it not drying, and you running into some serious cold (or slowing down). Brr....

Our new posting rules