SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > H2H Combat

Old 3 June 2018, 13:20
Administrator

EOD1, don't post again until you respond to the multiple posts asking for you to provide vetting information.

Thanks
Old 12 March 2019, 21:44
This space for rent

I practice a a blend of arts, a ketsugo. Japanese Ju Jitsu blended with Tae Kwondo and standing combat techniques derived from Hapkido. We stress not going g to the ground. In a one on one, that's fine. But if there is a buddy involved, the ground is the last place you want to be.Find a dojo that spars a lot. The confidence you build from that is astonishing. Self defense is just that, but if you have to throw hands or have to stand down a confrontation, you will be surprisingly calm and that in and of itself, is enough to diffuse the situation. We get you the grapplers I the dojo all the time and others who want to be cage fighters. After 45 minutes of getting beaten up and tapped out by a 50 year old man, they seldom come back.
Old 12 March 2019, 21:57
Policeman Officer

Strange that nobody fighting in the UFC is using this esoteric blend instead of BJJ and Muay Thai.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 12 March 2019, 23:22
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
Strange that nobody fighting in the UFC is using this esoteric blend instead of BJJ and Muay Thai.
Nobody in MMA is using MCMAP, either. So?
Old 13 March 2019, 00:06
This space for rent

Quote:

Is this diracted to me? Nobody in th UFC kicks to the nuts, eye pokes, throat punched, kicks to the head while down, punches to the back of the head, fish hooks, etc. If people want to fight UFC, you train using their rules.

Street man has no rules other than to steal your stuff or do you harm. Never have seen a UFC fighter go in a cage against 2 or more opponents armed with knives or guns.
Old 13 March 2019, 00:16
Policeman Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by poison View Post
Nobody in MMA is using MCMAP, either. So?
Of course not, it's terrible.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

Old 13 March 2019, 04:02
Been There Done That

I get people, friends, relatives etc all the time asking me what martial art is best, what martial art one should study.

Though I am partial to Wing Chun Boxing, being that I own a Wing Chun school and teach Wing Chun, this is what I tell them.

It is not the art, but the teacher and the school. There are good and bad teachers and schools of all arts. Search out and find a teacher/school that is good. One that is training you for what you want/need. Looking for a realistic self defense/street fighting program, then make sure the school is covering that and the teacher knows what he is teaching. If looking for competitions, then a school that is heavy into that. A program for your child to build confidence, mobility, coordination, discipline and allows them to achieve goals, then find one that does.

Take a close look at the school and the instructor. Good atmosphere, realistic training, instructor is a good coach/mentor, etc.

Most arts are good at self defense, if they are taught properly and there is realistic training at the school.

There was an old proverb that went something like, "better to spend one year looking for the right teacher and one year training hard, rather than spend two years training at the first school you encounter".
Old 13 March 2019, 09:59
This space for rent

^^^ Solid advice. Its really less about the art and more about the student/teacher and dojo atmosphere. Got my kids into the competition aspect of it a few years ago and decided to do that as well. PPKF is a local circuit here in NC. Some Fayetteville schools, Rockingham, and in between to Myrtle Beach. Some of the adult black belts were sad. Out of shape, inflexible, big bellies, can't fight, etc. Not all black belts are created equal.
Old 13 March 2019, 10:42

KM is a reasonable option for what you're seeking.

Meet with the instructor first. Let her/him know what you're specifically looking to accomplish. If the discussion goes well and you feel good about it then give it a try for sixty to ninety days.

You'll know sooner than that but all MA is a business so there will likely be a minimum "contract" or agreement. You can hammer that out with the instructor.

Sakura sends
Old 13 March 2019, 18:42
Confirmed User

I'm biased against KM, because everyone I know who has done it, has gone out of their way to tell me they do it, that it is AWESOME!, and that everyone else should do it, and they'll happily fight anyone who disagrees.

For a few years, I founded and ran a Police magazine in Australia. I reviewed many "systems", and the one that seemed the most realistic for me, aligned with short time-frames for learning, gross motor skills, and scenario training, was ISR Matrix. From memory, it has wrestling as it's core foundation, (I could be wrong, as it's been a few years).

As a direct result of my review of it, one of 8 of Australia's Police agencies started using it. Separately to my review, it is used by corrections (prisons), and is now just been selected as the new system for the Australian Army Military Police.

Founded by current-serving Florida LE I believe. I don't know their backgrounds. Simply google ISR Matrix, and it's the first hit.
Old 13 March 2019, 21:20
Policeman Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster View Post
Is this diracted to me? Nobody in th UFC kicks to the nuts, eye pokes, throat punched, kicks to the head while down, punches to the back of the head, fish hooks, etc. If people want to fight UFC, you train using their rules.

Street man has no rules other than to steal your stuff or do you harm. Never have seen a UFC fighter go in a cage against 2 or more opponents armed with knives or guns.
How much training does it take to bite, kick someone in the balls or fish hook? Might that be easier to do from a position of advantage? Does your system prepare people to fight multiple opponents with guns and knives? How do you go about validating that?

Old 14 March 2019, 07:37
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofear View Post
I'm biased against KM, because everyone I know who has done it, has gone out of their way to tell me they do it, that it is AWESOME!, and that everyone else should do it, and they'll happily fight anyone who disagrees.

For a few years, I founded and ran a Police magazine in Australia. I reviewed many "systems", and the one that seemed the most realistic for me, aligned with short time-frames for learning, gross motor skills, and scenario training, was ISR Matrix. From memory, it has wrestling as it's core foundation, (I could be wrong, as it's been a few years).

As a direct result of my review of it, one of 8 of Australia's Police agencies started using it. Separately to my review, it is used by corrections (prisons), and is now just been selected as the new system for the Australian Army Military Police.

Founded by current-serving Florida LE I believe. I don't know their backgrounds. Simply google ISR Matrix, and it's the first hit.
ISR looks like some good training. We do some similiar techniques/training at my school.

Of course a DT only course is going to be different than a traditional martial arts school. Some people want more of the "art" side, the mental, spiritual. Cultural and historical side of the art. Some want more of the "martial" side. I try to accommodate both at my school - as have a good mixture of students. The younger National Guard, Corrections officer, LE types who want to beat the hell out of each other (lol) and the older professional types (doctors, lawyers, businessmen), and those with physical limitations who enjoy the art for some of the non-martial attributes.

Martial Arts can be a path for people to better themselves, achieve goals, be part of a tribe/brotherhood, be better all around person, find inner peace, improve balance and flexibility/mobility. And of course is a fighting art that can improve ones situational awareness, self defense in violent encounters.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2409.jpg (25.9 KB, 279 views)
Old 14 March 2019, 11:36
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofear View Post
Lol, true. To be fair, BJJ is just as Koolaid-ish, but it's effective. I wouldn't take koolaid-type fervence as an indication of effectiveness.

Last edited by poison; 14 March 2019 at 12:04.
Old 14 March 2019, 19:34
Confirmed User

There are no superior martial arts/styles. There are superior martial artists/fighters.

Some of these fighters focus their efforts in the cage. Some of them focus on the streets. Find out what is most applicable or desirable to you - and then devote yourself to it.
Old 14 March 2019, 21:23
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc_3m View Post
There are no superior martial arts/styles. There are superior martial artists/fighters.

Some of these fighters focus their efforts in the cage. Some of them focus on the streets. Find out what is most applicable or desirable to you - and then devote yourself to it.
Well said.
Old 15 March 2019, 09:42
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
It is not the art, but the teacher and the school.
Amen! I've been trying and failing to find Silat, Escrima and Kali near me. The best that I have found is boxing gym with a spattering of kick boxing and BJJ that I like.

In Hawaii it was easy to find great teachers for almost any discipline. Here, not so much.
Old 15 March 2019, 20:13
This space for rent

Quote:
How much training does it take to bite, kick someone in the balls or fish hook? Might that be easier to do from a position of advantage? Does your system prepare people to fight multiple opponents with guns and knives? How do you go about validating that?

You seem to keep harping on the UFC like it's the be all to end all. The UFC as rules n what you can do and what you cant. The street doesnt.

When my instructor swings a plastic bat at my padded up head and he either connects or doesn't, that is validation. When he points a toy revolver at my face ad pulls the trigger and n observer sees I either get out of the way or not, that is validation.

If you are her to argue, ind another partner.
Old 20 March 2019, 20:53
Been There Done That

Interesting thread here. I seem to recall a former SF dude, owns a KMaga gym , I think in North Dakota. Randy McKelwayne (sp?). I will try to remember to look for it in some other files. Good luck with the protecting the Mrs. My future ex-wife hasn't been born yet!
Old 22 March 2019, 07:02
Confirmed User

Quote:
Actually, that's precisely what pure krav does. And it's validated almost daily, with lessons learned and improvements made.
Old 7 May 2019, 19:43
Voodoo guru

People need to realize that KM is a SYSTEM, not an art. It is a military system at that, not a "street" system. And unless it's KM that hails from where Hoepoe's from, it is a marketing system, not a fighting system.

A system is great for fighting en masse, or against someone who's not a trained martial artist who's been doing it for years. That's not to say that it won't work against a long time martial artist, but in that scenario, a long time martial artist will know all of the dirty tricks that is the selling point of a system like KM. And in that case, if the fight goes past the boundaries of the system, the artist is free to paint on his canvas. I've been a martial artist for 37 years, been around it all, even shot a KM video for an online provider of such instructional videos. A system is the fastest way to learn to scrap. If someone wants more variety, they need to get into a full on art.

"Let's make this weird", ~Mike2CW

Our new posting rules