Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Closed Thread

Old 27 April 2012, 15:37

Question about groups?

I have searched for some time and have yet to find an answer to this. If someone knows where I may find an answer, please direct me there.

I know that SF is by land, air, and sea, My question is do you have any say in if your assinged to an airborne or a dive unit?

In expample, If a recruit is more confident swimming than he was at jump school, Would he get the choice to join a dive team and vice versa? Or would SF just pass over him? Also, Does he have any say in which group he is assigned to?

Any insight is greatly appriciated!
Old 27 April 2012, 15:48
BTDT

Military Free Fall and Combat Dive ODA's are speciality teams. If you go to a company already qualified and that ODA is missing your MOS, the company SGM may assign you to that ODA. Other than that, it's hit or miss for team assignments based upon lots of variables. Going to bn, company, and team that's being stood up (4th Bn). Going to a company where a bunch of guys got leved for SWC assignments, going to a company which took quite alot of WIA's and is back from a deployment. The list can go on.

Group assignments are based upon your language skills. Language skills are based upon your GT and DLAB scores. Switching Langauges and Groups can be done and has been done before.
Old 27 April 2012, 15:51

Thank you for the fast response, that answers the question perfectly. Thanks.
Old 27 April 2012, 17:33
Making sure They Come Home

Allow me to add that ALL Special Forces Soldiers are Airborne qualified. MFF or "HALO" is an additional skill as 18C4V mentioned.
Old 27 April 2012, 17:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by ussfpa View Post
Allow me to add that ALL Special Forces Soldiers are Airborne qualified. MFF or "HALO" is an additional skill as 18C4V mentioned.
Yes sir I am aware. I just wasn't sure if a soldier had any say on the part of him being assumed to an airborne team or a dive team.
Old 27 April 2012, 18:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by nclewis View Post
Yes sir I am aware. I just wasn't sure if a soldier had any say on the part of him being assumed to an airborne team or a dive team.
Again...
ALL Special Forces Teams are "Airborne Teams", there is a select few on Military FREE FALL teams.

There is a difference.
Old 27 April 2012, 21:10
Confirmed User

http://www.goarmy.com/special-forces.html

http://www.goarmy.com/special-forces/training.html
Old 1 May 2012, 17:12
Confirmed User

HALO vs Static Line

Yep there is a difference, they have the cool watches (altimeters) get to go up to very high altitudes; first as the rest of us suck the thin air (never understood that one) and they get really cool suits to wear..... :) anyway yep there is a difference and when you get there, you'll see it. CSM-H

Quote:
Originally Posted by ussfpa View Post
Again...
ALL Special Forces Teams are "Airborne Teams", there is a select few on Military FREE FALL teams.

There is a difference.
Old 2 May 2012, 17:14

I understand the difference, I just worded it wrong. Maybe I should expand the question, if your HALO certified how much swimming do you actually get to do?
Old 2 May 2012, 17:43
Been There Done That

Depends

Quote:
I understand the difference, I just worded it wrong. Maybe I should expand the question, if your HALO certified how much swimming do you actually get to do?
Depends on if you hit the pond or not.
Old 2 May 2012, 17:49
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
if your HALO certified how much swimming do you actually get to do?
Depends on how much you go to the pool I'd say.

And I don't think you get "HALO certified", it's not a stamp on a side of beef for god sakes. But I think you can get Military Free Fall qualified, I think. You should ask these guys more questions to find out the truth
Old 2 May 2012, 18:55
True Origin Not Known

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAPete View Post
Depends on if you hit the pond or not.
You funny, GI.

Are you fucking serious? That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard all week...and I'm at a senior staff planning conference, so, the bar has been set pretty high. You should be proud. - Gavin
Old 3 May 2012, 12:13
Been There Done That

Quote:

In expample, If a recruit is more confident swimming than he was at jump school, Would he get the choice to join a dive team and vice versa? Or would SF just pass over him? Also, Does he have any say in which group he is assigned to?

Any insight is greatly appriciated!
If I understand what your asking placement on a HALO or Scuba team will only happen after you go through the Q course and spend some time on a team. Some regular (non Halo) teams jump frequently, some only when required. Some non dive teams train for water infiltration, others have guys who can barley swim.

If you make it all the way through the Q course then end up on an ODA and your a swimming fool you can go to a Scuba team after you spend some (all depends) time on a team. As far as swimming being a factor for selection its more of a check the box thing. Either you can make the swim test or you can't. The same with Airborne, you either graduate Airborne school and move on to the Q course or you don't.
Old 3 May 2012, 13:22
Been There Done That

Quote:
if your HALO certified how much swimming do you actually get to do?
I award you the "gayest question ever" badge. Would you like to know if you are able to wear this badge above your HALO badge on your uniform? Because that answer would be about as relevant to anything as the answer to the question that won you the award in the first place.

Because if you ever do make it, you won't be concerned about "how much swimming" gets done. Concerns will be more along the lines of "Will I return from this deployment with my legs, ball bag and/or face still attached to me"

Seriously, if you are still all about some water if you make it to Group, just ask the SGM to send you to a SCUBA team. Likely this will happen if you are in good shape. But if it doesn't, then you just default to your primary concerns: Face. Ballbag.
22 Aug 17
Old 3 May 2012, 14:07
Confirmed User

I think the Navy has better opportunities for someone with your sought after desires.

BTW, I was MFF and MFF Jumpmaster qualified for most of time in Group and never spent one day assigned to a HALO team, but they did let me have boats on a MAROPS team and we did lots and lots of swimming and jumping with boats into the wide blue waters.

P.S. I'm also a PADI diver and that never helped me get on the SCUBA team...
Old 3 May 2012, 15:43

Thanks for the replies and once again, I may have worded it of wrong. Its not that I want to be in a group or oda that does swim infils because I want to swim, I ask that because I can swim, but I'm sure my swimming abilities are nowhere near what they would need to be for that. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 3 May 2012, 15:51
Been There Done That

Quote:
nclewis,
You obviously don't have your long tab. Have you been selected? You don't need to be concerned with HALO wings, etc... The only swimming you need right now is the 50M surface swim with fatigues, boots and rubber rifle. You need to concentrate on getting your feet ready for the STAR/team week and receive some good foot care classes.

If you are not in shape, then practice the duffle bag drag for your entrance into the "Shack of Shame".

If you can't land nav, practice this song...As Garth Brooks melody goes in "I've got Friends in Low Places"... "Blame it all on my roots, I showed up in boots and no-goed my land nav event. The last one to show, one hour to go and I still haven't found my first point".
Old 3 May 2012, 21:31
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18b/e
...As Garth Brooks melody goes in "I've got Friends in Low Places"... "Blame it all on my roots, I showed up in boots and no-goed my land nav event. The last one to show, one hour to go and I still haven't found my first point".
Good one!

nclewis,
Step 1. PT
Step 2. PT
Step 3. PT
Step 4. Get selected for Assessment
Step 5. PT
Step 6. Pass Assessment
Step 7. PT
Step 8. Get selected for the Q
Step 9. PT
Step 10. Pass the Q
Step 11. PT
Step 12. Get to a Team
Step 13. PT
Step 14. Be squared away and impress your Team Sergeant, team mates, the other Team Sergeants, and the Company SGM while being smart (not assed), not getting in trouble, and more PT. Then just maybe youÖ
Step 15. Get assigned to a SCUBA team
Step 16. PT

If you donít get the picture, donít even try out.
Dangerous
Old 3 May 2012, 23:00
Confirmed User

^^^ Specifically "flutter kicks" for PT, lots and lots of flutter kicks!
Old 3 May 2012, 23:15

This is SO FUCKING OVER.
Honestly...
To the OP-
When you have your 13th birthday...utilize Google.
You have worn out your welcome, and my patience.
This only gets more moronic with every post you make. SOCNET deserves better than what you are bringing to the table.

Last edited by ussfpa; 3 May 2012 at 23:27. Reason: I'm on a damned iPad. Autocorrect is killing me. >=-(
Closed Thread

Our new posting rules