Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 20 March 2012, 14:00
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAPete View Post
Back in the day you could go to the local annex and watch an "exotic" dancer and have a few beers for lunch.

They were numbered and scattered all over post.

They died out as "no drinking during lunch" became more and more popular.
I remember an annex that looked like a small red barn and it was near the old 5th SFG compound. One time during lu nch a SGM from 3/5 came strolling by our table as we were watching a bikini dancer and said "remember now, only two drinks!" That was in '84. If I remember correctly he was a pretty healty drinker himself.
Old 20 March 2012, 16:49
Preparing to defend

Good God Guys, but this brings back OLD memories!

Served in Service Co. 5th Grp during the era that they moved to FTCKYU, but, hell, I had been on Bragg since March of 75! Didn't leave it till we all moved as a group, well one year ea. in Korea and Flight School.

I remember all them DAMN places! Even AJ's and the Lamplighter.

But, the stories from those places. The one that all of 2nd Brigade's NCO's frequented was just in front of the All American Mile in Area J or the one in front of the Main (only) PX off Riley near Moon Hall. I was only a E3-5 during that time and couldn't afford it and a Trans Am.

There was a club that was wild for a while called the Pines. The lounge in Moon Hall was DEF a meat market. So was the one over in the COSCOM area. And poor willie's!
Old 20 March 2012, 19:00
Been There Done That

Lets us not forget the Firefly...or "Lizard Lounge"... It was in that Hotel down the end of the blvd...near the fine establishment of the Bottoms Up..

Many a...."mature" women picked up in there....I heard..

I think the NCO Academy during MOS week got in trouble there using breaching charges when the bldg was up for demo...problem was...no one knew anything about it...(the authorities)..
Old 21 March 2012, 06:46
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glebo View Post
Lets us not forget the Firefly...or "Lizard Lounge"... It was in that Hotel down the end of the blvd...near the fine establishment of the Bottoms Up..
Ironically that area is now the home of the Special Operations Museum. Kind of like the old Rick's location now being home to the new Police Station. Lol.

I kind of liked the Bottoms Up.....for some disturbing reason that now escapes me in my old age.

Old 21 March 2012, 07:13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by base7 View Post
Speaking of how things have changed, does anybody here remember back in the 80's the name of the bar in the basement of the O Club at Ft Benning that would bring in the topless dancers...although they covered their nipples with band aid strips. I spent many, many drunken nights and $ bills there as a young 2Lt. It is amazing how things/times have changed. Does VD Drive still have all those topless bars and Ranger Joe like stores there?

No, but I do remember "The Hidden Door"....LMAO
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate
I am the captain of my soul.
-Invictus
Old 21 March 2012, 07:34
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
I kind of liked the Bottoms Up.....for some disturbing reason that now escapes me in my old age
Spent many a glorious night there drinking pitchers. There was an old broad that owned the joint......Faye/ Kaye something like that. Wore hot pants (google that term young men), twas a horrible sight.

Places to get hammered or chase tail....of some flavor or another:

-Ricks Lounge
-Bottoms Up
-Flaming Mug
-On post the 82nd had a place where strippers danced at lunch..maybe the Red Beret?
-How about Linda's? Nothing like "bars" in trailers.........
Old 21 March 2012, 10:28
ASA Geek

Back in the day a buddy of mine a classmate from DLI was Top at the 501st. When we came down to visit from VHFS he used to take us to an annex to see Misty or was it Stormy...addled brain forgets the name but remembers the peaks.
Old 30 March 2012, 23:58

At the risk of getting my butt kicked, I decided to comment about being a "Baby".

In '62 I took my first SF tests while in basic. There was a "Critical Decisions" test, given with a workbook and tape recorder. If I passed muster, I would get orders for Training Group upon completion of Jump School.

At TG we started with MOI then specialty training. I went 911 as medics were in shorter supply than most other junior MOS. Did 2 different programs at Ft. Sam, then OJT, then Dog Lab.

Next came branch. Guys were dropping like flies, quite a number of NCO's among them.

Next came assignment to Group. I went to the 1st.

I got on a TDY team after a couple of months on Oki. Medics were in short supply so we got a leg SFC, never been in SF, as Senior Medic.

We had been in country for about a week when he pulled me aside and asked me to "run things" as he had never worked anywhere except a hospital. Most of the time he was scared.

I guess I was too young and dumb to be scared.

The Senior Weapons NCO sort of took me under his wing. Helluva guy (may he continue to RIP).

Okay so I was a "baby", I suppose. I did a pretty fair job both in the dispensary and in the field.

Not all young inexperienced men are worthless.
Old 31 March 2012, 00:36
Been There Done That

Funny how this post started 10 years ago with a question from a naive college student contemplating going 18X and now it has degraded to titty bar talk.
Old 31 March 2012, 07:12
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftscout4 View Post
Funny how this post started 10 years ago with a question from a naive college student contemplating going 18X and now it has degraded to titty bar talk.
I think the term would be UPGRADED. I think..
Old 31 March 2012, 12:27
Authorized Personnel

Titty bar talk = Team Room talk. The young college lad needs to learn all of the ins and outs doesnt he?

Old 31 March 2012, 12:38
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheDay View Post
Spent many a glorious night there drinking pitchers. There was an old broad that owned the joint......Faye/ Kaye something like that. Wore hot pants (google that term young men), twas a horrible sight.
We would run to Bottoms Up sometimes during lunch Nothing like drinking beer in BDUs between 11:30 and 1300 at a titty bar known for the ugliest (friendliest) strippers who couldn't get jobs anywhere else.

Had a buddy of mine who practically lived at the Firefly.
Old 31 March 2012, 12:52
Whatever Sucks the Most

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc64 View Post
At the risk of getting my butt kicked, I decided to comment about being a "Baby".

In '62 I took my first SF tests while in basic. There was a "Critical Decisions" test, given with a workbook and tape recorder. If I passed muster, I would get orders for Training Group upon completion of Jump School.

At TG we started with MOI then specialty training. I went 911 as medics were in shorter supply than most other junior MOS. Did 2 different programs at Ft. Sam, then OJT, then Dog Lab.

Next came branch. Guys were dropping like flies, quite a number of NCO's among them.

Next came assignment to Group. I went to the 1st.

I got on a TDY team after a couple of months on Oki. Medics were in short supply so we got a leg SFC, never been in SF, as Senior Medic.

We had been in country for about a week when he pulled me aside and asked me to "run things" as he had never worked anywhere except a hospital. Most of the time he was scared.

I guess I was too young and dumb to be scared.

The Senior Weapons NCO sort of took me under his wing. Helluva guy (may he continue to RIP).

Okay so I was a "baby", I suppose. I did a pretty fair job both in the dispensary and in the field.

Not all young inexperienced men are worthless.
Sir, you were selected, you endured a pipeline where a lot of other candidates failed, and when you arrived on Oki, you were socialized on an ODA for a time before you made it in-country, where you were socialized some more where it really counted.

If you look back, you can see the nascence of the modern-era SF training tradition.

We have always done it this way. We have just refined it over the years.
Old 14 April 2012, 01:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by magician View Post
Sir, you were selected, you endured a pipeline where a lot of other candidates failed, and when you arrived on Oki, you were socialized on an ODA for a time before you made it in-country, where you were socialized some more where it really counted.

If you look back, you can see the nascence of the modern-era SF training tradition.

We have always done it this way. We have just refined it over the years.
Hi Magician,

Thank you for the kind words.

I always felt humbled around some of the men in Oki. When serving as "company carpenter" my immediate boss was the SMAJ. He was a very calm and courteous man as well as having "Been There Done That" =

- 3rd award CIB (only one I had ever seen at the time)

- More time as POW than I had in the service at that time (2 times in 2 wars)

- He hated retirement parades on Saturdays when his troops should have had some time off. On one very hot Saturday he went so far as to buy beer, iced it in some GI can at the entrance of the mess hall for noon chow.

BTW, as much as I appreciate your courtesy I don't really deserve to be addressed as "Sir". "Doc" suits me just fine. :)
Old 16 April 2012, 10:51
Sound off for equipment check!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdogonroad View Post
The lounge in Moon Hall was DEF a meat market. . .
Ah, yes. "Sylvia's" in the mid-70's. Drank a lot of free drinks in there when Reservists walked in and had to buy a round for a having a "Hat on in the bar!"

That 7th Group bell was loud. I wonder what became of it.
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests. ~Patrick Henry

"Sēlre bi ghwm t hē his frēond wrece, onne hē fela murne." ~Bēowulf, bearn Ecgēowes
Old 16 April 2012, 15:18
Been There Done That

Back to the original topic of the thread and to mirror what Doc64 said:

I was drafted in 1970 and, after 5 days of being a PV1(US), tested and was offered the SF option for becoming a 12B (Cbt Engr). I was discharged and became a PV1(RA), with BCT at Fort Ord, 12B at Fort Leonard Wood, BAC at Fort Benning, and then on the bus to Fort Bragg and SFTG. MOI followed by Phase 1 at Camp Mackall, then more testing and volunteering for 91B (Med Spec) with 91A at Fort Bragg, 300F1 at Fort Sam Houston, OJT at Reynolds Army Hospital, Advanced Med and Surgical Labs at Fort Bragg, Phase 3 at Fort Bragg and Uwharrie National Forest, and assignment to 7th SFGA.

By the time I completed SFTG, I had been in training for nearly 2 years and was a SGT. Prior to 1972, the Distinguished Graduate from SFTG (like the Distinguished Graduate from the Infantry "Shake and Bake" NCO Academy at Fort Benning) was promoted to SSG.

After another 6 years as an SF NCO serving in Latin America, Southeast Asia, Africa, and Europe, I went to OCS as a SSG(P) and eventually retired after serving as an Infantry, SF, and FAO Officer.

The 18x program has been around a long time fellas - it just wasn't always called that.

Richard

Last edited by Richard; 16 April 2012 at 15:42.
Old 16 April 2012, 18:39
Been There Done That

Dig through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
......The 18x program has been around a long time fellas - it just wasn't always called that.....
I'd really have to dig through my brief case (2 really) that holds all my paperwork but back in 1974 it was just called the Special Forces enlistment option. You picked up the MOSs as you went through training.

Like Richard I got 12B at LW, 1P at Benning and then showed up at Bragg for the Q Course getting the "S".

18 or 21 - no off the street - off the street - whatever/what for it all changed with the needs of Big Green - and will change again.

Just like the thread on the background wing ovals. Somebody could have spent the last 25 years in SF but not known about the "old" ovals.

Then there was Brass. For years we wore unassigned brass - but for a few years before branch we wore our base MOS brass - Engineer Castle for me - and then of course after branch the crossed arrows.

So three SF guys - one who only served prior - one who only served during base MOS - and the last only serving as an 18 series could have a big argument over what was "the right Brass".
Old 17 April 2012, 01:05

Hi Richard and Pete,

When I enlisted and wanted jump school, my option was "Airborne Unassigned". While in Basic, heard about this new outfit called Special Forces and asked some questions. There was a SF recruiter at Ft. Polk.

I went and talked to the guy -- I believe he was a MSGT -- he told me I needed to have a GED of 115 or above, pass their tests and complete Jump School.

My brass was the crossed rifles of my AIT MOS, 111. Never used my SS# as a ASN. On any document I ever saw in Group, I was always listed as 911.3 -- although my DD-214 shows 91b3s.

Things were changing very quickly in those days.
Old 22 April 2012, 16:15
Been There Done That

I was a PS guy, and working with teams in OIF I definitely made me see the light. I saw what the teams were bringing to the table and knew i wanted to be a part of that.
I've had some awesome, older, college educated, etc. X-rays on my teams in the past. I've also had dudes way to young that weren't really mature enough (IMHO). The biggest problem i see is that some of these guys don't really appreciate how good they have it vs. regular army time. Definitely some great x-rays out there, but i would recommend doing some time in the big army first. Group is starting to look more and more like a gang of highschoolers these days.
Old 22 April 2012, 20:38
Been There Done That

JABA,

SF and our society were "completely different" back then. You were raised in a different generation and I'm sure you weren't a Mother Fucking Paper Tabber.

First, there was no SF Branch back then. Officers came and went. SGM's and TM SGT's ran the company. Officers were like kids, they were to be seen and not heard. SFC Tiodosio (ODA-174), "Sir (Major), you want to run my team that's fine". "You can run my team, just as long as you do what the fuck I tell you to". and walked off.....

Team members back then turned down promotions, just to stay on the same team. The average age on a team was way older than now. Now, it's shake and bake. Hell, a fucking Tm SGT spends 2 years now, then he's gone to the B or C team or in a specialty position. It's BS, how can you have a 21-25 year old coordinating anything, much less working in another country making educated decisions. It's all about numbers. It's not their fault. They come out of the X program, thinking they've learned something. What they fail to understand is, that class has just begun. Unfortunately, until you've had a few divorces, at least a drunk spell, a few years on a team down-range, cussed out your tm sgt or wife (one in the same), etc... you don't know shit.

Our new posting rules