Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 22 December 2009, 19:42
Been There Done That

Pakistan court orders men's ears, noses hacked off

Not that I am against the ruling and I certainly think more of that kind of justice would help deter some of the sickos in the US, but damn...

Link to the story

So while I agree that an eye for an eye, or in this case nose for nose etc is perfectly fine in my world, I think this is further highlighting how different "they" think "over there" vise what the non fat extra soy chai latte crowd in the US is expecting in terms of instilling Democracy or considering them equals.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 22 December 2009, 20:09
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad275 View Post
Not that I am against the ruling and I certainly think more of that kind of justice would help deter some of the sickos in the US, but damn...

Link to the story

So while I agree that an eye for an eye, or in this case nose for nose etc is perfectly fine in my world, I think this is further highlighting how different "they" think "over there" vise what the non fat extra soy chai latte crowd in the US is expecting in terms of instilling Democracy or considering them equals.
I think I'd buy 'em a years worth of Chai if I met them.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 22 December 2009, 20:13
BTDT

I think the ruling was spot on!

RLTW
EP
Old 22 December 2009, 20:13
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Ah Pakistan, the world leader in women killed in "kitchen fire" accidents.....

"And thus I clothe my naked villainy with old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;
And seem a saint, when most I play the devil."
- Shakespeare, Richard III.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."
-T.E. Lawrence, "Seven Pillars of Wisdom".
Old 22 December 2009, 20:14
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGMojito View Post
I think I'd buy 'em a years worth of Chai if I met them.
See SGM, you and I (and certainly a good number of members here) will agree that this is a completely realistic notion to entertain legal recourse like this for violent crimes. However, I sometimes wonder if I am just that far removed from what is considered "normal" in the US and most "civilized" countries but then I come on SOCNET and all is good again...

Old 22 December 2009, 20:15
JDAM
Visitor

Quote:
The anti-terrorism court also ordered that brothers Ammanat Ali, 29, and Sher Mohammed, 27, spend life in prison and pay 700,000 rupees ($8,300) in compensation to the victim, Punjab province chief prosecutor Chaudary Mohammed Jahangir said Tuesday.
Are you fucking kidding me? That is nothing...

Excellent ruling otherwise.

Quote:
Mohammed Ali, the cousin, was also arrested, while the two other men allegedly involved in the attack have not been, the inspector said.
Why the fuck not? Disfigure all of them...

Last edited by JDAM; 22 December 2009 at 20:22. Reason: fugitives
Old 22 December 2009, 20:36
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDAM View Post
Are you fucking kidding me? That is nothing...

Excellent ruling otherwise.
Annual per capita income is around $2000. So it's not terrible by their standards. The life in prison and getting mutilated probably provides more punishment and gratification for everyone involved.

Old 22 December 2009, 20:42
JDAM
Visitor

Quote:
Annual per capita income is around $2000. So it's not terrible by their standards. The life in prison and getting mutilated probably provides more punishment and gratification for everyone involved.
Very true.

Still though, imagine the medical bills on her end. Jesus...

Here in the U.S., if something like that happened to a woman she could sue for millions of dollars and get every penny of it. No way with our level of media coverage in this country, combined with the sympathy factor; that it would go any other direction. A jury would basically give her whatever the hell she wanted in a courtroom. Its just interesting, the difference between our cultures and all... Shit man, $8K is a fucking joke...

Last edited by JDAM; 22 December 2009 at 20:46.
Old 22 December 2009, 20:52
Been There Done That

Honestly though, besides the fact that I would kill them myself, if someone did that to one of my loved ones, I'd rather go tit-for-tat than getting "paid".

But you and I are in agreement.

Old 22 December 2009, 20:57
Good Idea Fairy

Quote:
See SGM, you and I (and certainly a good number of members here) will agree that this is a completely realistic notion to entertain legal recourse like this for violent crimes. However, I sometimes wonder if I am just that far removed from what is considered "normal" in the US and most "civilized" countries but then I come on SOCNET and all is good again...
I think you are perfectly "normal" if that helps. But, I may be out of touch also...
and somewhat violence prone.
Old 22 December 2009, 21:02
JDAM
Visitor

Thumbs up

Quote:
Honestly though, besides the fact that I would kill them myself, if someone did that to one of my loved ones, I'd rather go tit-for-tat than getting "paid".
Roger that
Old 23 December 2009, 12:15
Professional Amateur

Hell I'd buy that judge all the chai he can drink and a sterling silver tea set to drink it out of.

I personally find it amusing that the Pakis have a etter grasp on good old fashioned Code of Hammurabi justice than the Kool-Aid drinkers over here.

Spot on ruling!
Old 23 December 2009, 12:37
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

The judge appears to have made at least an attempt to send a message -- or maybe he knew that such a sentence would be struck down, and he was really doing the two assclowns a favor.

The most important part of this story -- to ME -- is that a number of perps were not captured and tried. The comment about Pakis leading the world in the number of women hurt/killed in "accidents" is spot on. Of course, MOST Muslims think women are of lesser stature -- and while the level of mistreatment varies from location to location -- the end result is that a Muslim chick has less expectation of protection and justice than a dude does/would.

As to the dollar amount -- as Nomad states, the financial amounts mentioned are reflected in the society and location where this occurred. Not too long ago, I was involved (in Iraq and then Astan) in the negotiations for payment of what one considers the value of a human life. US$2k seems to be a number most locals get along with....
Old 23 December 2009, 18:12
Good Idea Fairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
US$2k seems to be a number most locals get along with....
Shit, depending who you talk to and what day...

I am worth less than 2K.

Our new posting rules