SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 24 November 2009, 17:57
sfmedicw9 sfmedicw9 is offline
The USA's Loose Cannon
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kurdistan in N Iraq
Posts: 1,154
Christmas Attitudes for Military Folk

Had a great debate last night about the Military and Christmas Time. The civilians there couldn't understand why me and my friend (also a FGB) had such a shitty attitude about Christmas

I know its the season of giving and goodwill and commemorates the birt of Jesus and all that - I get that......BUT

I hate the season its depressing and always has been for me since joining the military . It reminds me of all the Christmases I missed apart from my family and how shitty it is to be in the military during the holiday seasons - I never had a Christmas at home during my sons childhood

I guess that became ingrained in me that Christmas = fucked up time


Is it just me and military folks or are we grinches?
__________________
I dont recall ever being released from my vow to defend the constitution against all enemys foreign and domestic (read that liberals and globalists)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 24 November 2009, 18:18
Husker19D30's Avatar
Husker19D30 Husker19D30 is offline
Retired Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 2,703
I've been away for plenty of Christmases, but I love the holiday. Food, family, lights, and laughing kids. When I was far from home I never wanted thoughts of me to spoil anyone else's holidays. I'll remember my friends and brothers and sisters far from home this holiday season, but I won't do them the disservice of letting their absence spoil my family's celebration.
__________________
"History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices." -Bill Watterson
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 24 November 2009, 18:42
KidA's Avatar
KidA KidA is offline
Authorized Personnel
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: WbyGV
Posts: 18,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfmedicw9 View Post
I hate the season its depressing and always has been for me since joining the military . It reminds me of all the Christmases I missed apart from my family and how shitty it is to be in the military during the holiday seasons -

I guess that became ingrained in me that Christmas = fucked up time
I kind of have the same attitude. It's hard to get over even being out of the military.
__________________
Hey homo, its me -- Andy/SOTB
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 24 November 2009, 19:01
Ole crusty bastard's Avatar
Ole crusty bastard Ole crusty bastard is offline
Authorized Personnel
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Port Charlotte FL
Posts: 4,838
Leave Christ out of the mix and realize that it's just a happy time for the kids, you can make them happy any time of year.

I lost my religion early on, so to me it's only bright lights and presents.
__________________
...when in doubt...over prime.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 24 November 2009, 19:05
Spinner's Avatar
Spinner Spinner is offline
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 13,135
I think there's probably just as many civvies as military personnel who are down on Christmas, for a lot of different reasons.

The whole holiday comes equipped with a lot of expectations, and when you're a kid it's easy to get caught up in all of that. As we get older, if the expectations aren't readjusted somehow, we wind up hating the whole exercise.

Festivus is the way to go.
__________________
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion! Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who!"
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 24 November 2009, 19:41
Mr. Punchy Mr. Punchy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: The Lone Star State
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Festivus is the way to go.

I for one look forward to the airing of the grievances.
And the feats of strength.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 24 November 2009, 19:48
bm2bob's Avatar
bm2bob bm2bob is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: the Road to Happy Destiny
Posts: 1,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfmedicw9 View Post
Had a great debate last night about the Military and Christmas Time. The civilians there couldn't understand why me and my friend (also a FGB) had such a shitty attitude about Christmas

I know its the season of giving and goodwill and commemorates the birt of Jesus and all that - I get that......BUT

I hate the season its depressing and always has been for me since joining the military . It reminds me of all the Christmases I missed apart from my family and how shitty it is to be in the military during the holiday seasons - I never had a Christmas at home during my sons childhood

I guess that became ingrained in me that Christmas = fucked up time


Is it just me and military folks or are we grinches?

We may be grinches. I always develop a case of the fuck its around Xmas. For the reasons you listed mostly, but also because my Mom died on December 20th one year, the day before I was going to drive home to see her and my siblings. Drove home anyway... It's not just us though, I work on a Military psych ward and business is good that time of year.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 24 November 2009, 19:54
Spinner's Avatar
Spinner Spinner is offline
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 13,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Punchy View Post
I for one look forward to the airing of the grievances.
And the feats of strength.
"Stop crying, and fight your father!"

I'll be collecting donations for the Human Fund at the Stop 'n Shop throughout the month of December.
__________________
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion! Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who!"
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 24 November 2009, 20:10
grog18b's Avatar
grog18b grog18b is offline
Clorox bearer for SOTB
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Finally back to my 203 range
Posts: 3,506
What... No one else hung colored rubbers from their barracks tree?
__________________
"....As far as "rights" are concerned... I look at them this way. I don't tell you what church to go to, and you don't tell me what kind of firearm I can own." GROG

If gun control laws controlled crime, we wouldn't need cops.
Quote:
Finally, I believe that punishing lawful gun owners by creating new, more onerous laws, and restricting Constitutionally guaranteed rights, when we already don't enforce the tens of thousands of gun laws we have on the books, is like beating your dog because the neighbor's dog shit in your yard.
"The Reaper"
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 24 November 2009, 22:05
Local's Avatar
Local Local is offline
Newbie shooter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Ether..
Posts: 1,678
I get a little grouchy when everyone tells me "Merry Christmas!"

If you know me (personally) I'm one of the more vocal jews out there. Jew's don't celebrate Christmas. Christ was a fucking carpenter as far as I'm concerned. If you want to say something nice say "happy holidays!"

Don't fucking push that shit on me, then look at me blankly when I ask if you want to light some candles or spin a dradel.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 24 November 2009, 22:11
sfmedicw9 sfmedicw9 is offline
The USA's Loose Cannon
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kurdistan in N Iraq
Posts: 1,154
for you local
__________________
I dont recall ever being released from my vow to defend the constitution against all enemys foreign and domestic (read that liberals and globalists)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 24 November 2009, 22:12
Whitebean54's Avatar
Whitebean54 Whitebean54 is offline
Time is a flat circle
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 3rd world in the 1st world
Posts: 2,676
I get pretty pissed off during this time. People want to talk about world peace, love of one another yadda yadda yadda but people get killed every black friday from crowds out shopping.
__________________
"Somewhere, theres a skeleton, a book sack and a log with a fat girls signature " Jumpcut

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 24 November 2009, 22:13
KidA's Avatar
KidA KidA is offline
Authorized Personnel
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: WbyGV
Posts: 18,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Local View Post
I get a little grouchy when everyone tells me "Merry Christmas!"

If you know me (personally) I'm one of the more vocal jews out there. Jew's don't celebrate Christmas. Christ was a fucking carpenter as far as I'm concerned. If you want to say something nice say "happy holidays!"

Don't fucking push that shit on me, then look at me blankly when I ask if you want to light some candles or spin a dradel.
Now I'm an Atheist and I still say Merry Christmas and I think it's GAY that people insist on "Happy Holidays" instead.
__________________
Hey homo, its me -- Andy/SOTB
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 24 November 2009, 22:17
okami1 okami1 is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: roadmarching in a bathrobe
Posts: 1,183
Christmas morning is a choice time for a motorcycle ride. Merry Christmas to me.
__________________
Less talking
More PT
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 24 November 2009, 22:25
Local's Avatar
Local Local is offline
Newbie shooter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Ether..
Posts: 1,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
Now I'm an Atheist and I still say Merry Christmas and I think it's GAY that people insist on "Happy Holidays" instead.
So you came from a Christian family, decided religion wasn't for you, and prefer Merry Christmas to happy holidays.

I'm not gonna push this, but lets just say its a little different for me. How can I explain... oh i got it.

would you feel the same way if at a certain time of year everyone came up to you and said "assalam o alaikum" or "Allahu Akbar" and expected you to say it back and got butt hurt when you didn't want too.

- Local

Last edited by Local; 24 November 2009 at 22:27. Reason: tenses were wrong, edited to be more respectful to a BTDT.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 24 November 2009, 22:29
Jimbo's Avatar
Jimbo Jimbo is offline
Scoundrel
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: inside your OODA loop
Posts: 6,151
Holidays for me, no matter which ones, have always been about family and friends. When I've been gone missing holidays was a bummer, but being busy helped. The folks I feel for are the ones who are going on year 9 of missing various holidays. Shoot, I know SOCNET members who have missed more of their birthdays, their wifes birthday and their kids birthdays than they have made.

Especially around Thanksgiving I try to send a personal note to everyone I know who is deployed or otherwise unable to make it home or wherever their people are. Let them know they are in your thoughts and that even though you are home, you appreciate their doing what they do so that you can be where you are.
__________________

“It's not a good idea to allow an unknown enemy force to attack your compound. Ever, really.” -MixedLoad

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." -HST

Secrets don't sleep til they're took to the grave. -BMTH
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 24 November 2009, 22:33
floydjones floydjones is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: PACAF
Posts: 71
Finally, as I gear up to work my third thanksgiving in a row, I'm glad that I am not the only one that is not a fan of the holidays. Cheers to another Thanksgiving, if you need me you can find me in the bar.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 24 November 2009, 22:37
KidA's Avatar
KidA KidA is offline
Authorized Personnel
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: WbyGV
Posts: 18,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Local View Post
So you came from a Christian family, decided religion wasn't for you, and prefer Merry Christmas to happy holidays.

I'm not gonna push this, but lets just say its a little different for me. How can I explain... oh i got it.

would you feel the same way if at a certain time of year everyone came up to you and said "assalam o alaikum" or "Allahu Akbar" and expected you to say it back and got butt hurt when you didn't want too.

- Local
Now it's different if people KNOW you're Jewish and say "Merry Christmas." I get that. Totally.

But hey, the Christians won. And while I don't believe in Jesus the Christ I do believe in the "season." Without them there wouldn't be this season of family and togetherness and doing for others. So I can concede the "Merry Christmas" and I LIKE the "Merry Christmas" even though you aren't going to find me thanking Baby Jesus or sitting in Mass or any of the religious stuff.

I have the same ire for other atheists who insist on "Happy Holidays" as I do for members of any other religion who get irked about "Merry Christmas." Maybe if ya'll had made Hannukah more inclusive we'd all be wishing each other that...
__________________
Hey homo, its me -- Andy/SOTB
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 24 November 2009, 22:40
Blackjack78's Avatar
Blackjack78 Blackjack78 is offline
RIP SOTB, CASS
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 2,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Local View Post
So you came from a Christian family, decided religion wasn't for you, and prefer Merry Christmas to happy holidays.

I'm not gonna push this, but lets just say its a little different for me. How can I explain... oh i got it.

would you feel the same way if at a certain time of year everyone came up to you and said "assalam o alaikum" or "Allahu Akbar" and expected you to say it back and got butt hurt when you didn't want too.

- Local
So should I get offended and all grumpy when I'm in predominately Jewish neighborhood's and I'm wished a Happy Hanukkah or Shabbat etc? I don't wear a sign of my religion or lack of one.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 24 November 2009, 23:05
Local's Avatar
Local Local is offline
Newbie shooter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Ether..
Posts: 1,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
Now it's different if people KNOW you're Jewish and say "Merry Christmas." I get that. Totally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack78 View Post
So should I get offended and all grumpy when I'm in predominately Jewish neighborhood's and I'm wished a Happy Hanukkah or Shabbat etc? I don't wear a sign of my religion or lack of one.
See above. It doesn't irk me when someone I don't know says it to me. It irks me when someone who has known me for a long time, knows I'm Jewish, and says it to me - then gets butt hurt when I don't say it back or simply reply with a happy holidays. Asking me what I got for Christmas is worse.

You know what I do on Dec 25th? Eat Chinese food and go watch a movie - usually its the only thing you can do. This year I'll be driving from Boston to Hershey PA. I hope the gas stations stay open...

as to wearing a sign... I've been known too

As to being more inclusive... I'd be happy to take anyones money that wants to spin the dradel with me and all of SOCNET is welcome to light candles with me. I'll even teach you guys the words.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Our new posting rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:25.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Socnet.com All Rights Reserved
© SOCNET 1996-2018