SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 27 June 2018, 11:29
On the Extract Bird

Fireworks

It seems like every year I get into arguments about the discharge of fireworks with my neighbors. I hate the fireworks ban that most cities impose.

Common reasons given to support the ban are:
  • Neighbors with PTSD
  • Fireworks terrorize animals
  • Safety

I think 1 day out of the year, we should be given a pass to celebrate this great Country.

Do any of our members with PTSD find July 4th to be a problem for them? I'd like to know. This might slow my roll.

As to safety - play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Burn someone's house down - you are going to burn.

Animals. While I feel for them, I don't care enough 1 time out of the year. Call me an unfeeling bastard.

What do y'all think of firework bans?
Old 27 June 2018, 11:40
On the Extract Bird

Personally, I can't stand them - the ban that is. Some people simply can't find enough to complain about, so that is just one more thing for their unhappy selves to gripe about to anyone who wants to hear it.
Old 27 June 2018, 11:45
Authorized Personnel

The only reason not to light up the world, should be when the brush and trees are like tinder.

I do get startled if something goes off real close, it's good for the heart.

Try clapping your hands loudly around a bunch of killers.

Enjoy the Holiday!!
Old 27 June 2018, 11:50
Authorized Personnel

having lived in a dry area of the country, people are fucking morons.

I'm against bans, and I'm all for punching people in the fucking face. Unfortunately the latter is illegal, so we're left with bans.

Butte, MT has a huge fireworks show (the largest in Montana), but on some years they would ban people from fireworks (and people get the good, good, good stuff there) because there were literally fucking fires burning - and yet shitheels would still light them off, and start more fires, because "mah freedumbs!" And how do you catch these people? You don't.

Short of bans because of actual fucking fires, I'm against them.
Old 27 June 2018, 11:52
Been There Done That

Agree with COB. Unless there's a burn ban or something have a little fun. The dog can suck it up for an evening.

My Grandson loves it. If it makes him happy, well that makes me happy.

I have no city ordinances to abide by either.

Karl Childers
Old 27 June 2018, 12:02
Divides by zero

I personally dont mind the ban. My house gets hit because of these retards buying huge shit and not knowing how to use them. We also get our share of wild fires because of it.

The people will still light them off....and thats cool, but be ready to pay the piper when you start a grass fire or hit my kid with a mortar thingy.

And to the PTSD people....come on. I think this is a BS media driven thing. Maybe not but it sounds stupid. Put on some headphones for the day and binge watch a few fliks. I don't expect people to cater to my problems and I won't cater to theirs because they demand it.
Old 27 June 2018, 12:06
I really don't care

Not a big fireworks fan myself. Too many nights working the ambulance for morons who blow themselves up. But we have the roadside tents everywhere up here selling the stuff so I bought my nephew/nieces a big ass box of age-appropriate items. $90 worth will keep them busy for hours.

Always loved this one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH2uifOWP-k
Old 27 June 2018, 12:25
Administrator

If you have one of those vets with PTSD signs about not having fireworks near you.....you are a fucking homo.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 27 June 2018, 12:29
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar View Post
It seems like every year I get into arguments about the discharge of fireworks with my neighbors. I hate the fireworks ban that most cities impose.

• Neighbors with PTSD
  • Safety

I think 1 day out of the year, we should be given a pass to celebrate this great Country.

Do any of our members with PTSD find July 4th to be a problem for them? I'd like to know. This might slow my roll.

As to safety - play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Burn someone's house down - you are going to burn.

Animals. While I feel for them, I don't care enough 1 time out of the year. Call me an unfeeling bastard.

Fireworks on July 4, New Year’s Eve or other expected holidays does not bother me. Fireworks on days that are not holidays startle me but not enough to do a ban.

America...a country founded by geniuses but managed by idiots
Old 27 June 2018, 12:38
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
If you have one of those vets with PTSD signs about not having fireworks near you.....you are a fucking homo.
LMAO.
Old 27 June 2018, 12:39
BTDT

So a person can have a dog that gets out and terrorizes the neighbors by bearing its teeth and growling and chasing people back into their houses and cars...
...but a bottle rocket might make that same dog sad?

mother fuck the neighbors sad little pets.
buy some fish

"Bans" on anything is just society taking the cowardly way out - heaven forbid we hold people accountable for their behavior.

last year - bottle rockets started hitting my house - it was unintentional - I walked next store and asked them to "please adjust fire, you're hitting my house" - polite interaction between neighbors, problem solved

the desire to "ban" all of our problems away is why society is in the mess its in now

we should just ban cancer, heart disease, and premature ejaculation - then everything will be great

I don't usually do fireworks but this year I think I will
The left is a treasonous movement. The Democrats became a treasonous organization when they fell under the sway of a movement that rejects our system of government, its laws, and its elections. Now their treason is coming to a head.
- Daniel Greenfield
Old 27 June 2018, 12:41
Freelancer

Quote:
I brought one to the range once. Had the whole section to myself.
Old 27 June 2018, 13:07
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agoge View Post
..Some people simply can't find enough to complain about, so that is just one more thing for their unhappy selves to gripe about to anyone who wants to hear it.
Exactamondo. Your joy is my misery. If I can complain because your joy causes noise than better for me. Wah wah wah!!

I have met one guy who had legitamate twitching and nervousness from hearing bottle rockets and things going off down the street. We were still shooting off fireworks at his house LOL.
Old 27 June 2018, 13:08
Been There Done That

I love fireworks but the morons that live around me start shooting them from the first night the tents are up selling them until about July 15th.

Some nights they shoot them almost all night long.

Since i live in the 'county' and not in the city, I can discharge firearms without recourse, I thought about taking my 12 gauge over by their house at about 0200 on, say, Valentine's Day, and firing off a few rounds, just for shits and giggles.

Wonder how they would like that??
Old 27 June 2018, 14:01
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

I don't mind the fireworks, in fact a few of my neighbors buy the high end stuff, which has really come a long way since I was a kid.

Very elaborate displays, really like smaller versions of what you see at a professional fireworks show. I don't know where they get them from (I assume Indiana or Wisconsin probably sell these types of rockets and mortars), but they're pretty cool to watch.

I wonder how much each of them cost, to put on a good show must set you back a bundle.
Old 27 June 2018, 14:10
Been There Done That

my adjoining neighbors were pretty stupid about their toys. one very dry summer (can't remember if we had a burn ban active, but I think so), and every single air bomb landed on my property for me to clean up/put out. tannerite targets along our fence line big enough to rattle the house windows. one of my dogs hates any kind of loud noses, so I get her inside and let her shiver away. my younger dog had good "react to far ambush" instincts the first holiday lighting he saw. he got behind concealment, looked for cover, looked at my reaction, sat by me and watched the show.

things are nice and quiet these days since the kids moved out and he's dying of the cancer.

there were days I wanted to go pop a few rounds outside their window late at night too.

bans? no. responsible use? it sure would be nice. it was nice in the outside the city limits suburbs as a kid.. big 'ol block party and lighting everything in the street, everything cleaned up by... 10 am latest the next day.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 27 June 2018, 14:21
Anesthetized User

As for helping our dogs on the 4th, they can have Benadryl 1-2 MG’s per pound PO.

But yeah, I hate dumbass bans. Morons always ruin stuff for the sensible folk.

It don't come easy.--Ringo Starr

"And all that remains is the faces and the names of the wives and the sons and the daughters."--Gordon Lightfoot.
Old 27 June 2018, 19:14
Ghey floor sweeper

Quote:
So...just how many live within earshot of your place?

(You can't throw out a softball like that and not expect a swing, Sir)
Old 27 June 2018, 19:39
I reckon so. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar View Post

• Neighbors with PTSD
  • Safety

Hahahaa. Funny guy. Not 1 day outta the year. Like RGR.Montcalm mentioned. Our citizens here in GA start shooting them as soon as they *git-er home from thu Stowa*

I like the the new fangled fireworks myself. They're darn neat and I don't have to spend a dime to watch them.

My problem was, my wife. She'd have to get up at around 4 or 4:30 to leave to go to work her shift, and well it gets tiresome trying to catch a bit of sleep with the locals all fire'd up. Thats been my only beef; ever.

Bans. Many laws are because folks can't control themselves.
Old 27 June 2018, 22:33
Authorized Personnel

I am debating a large "tannerite" detonation on the 4th.

Our new posting rules