SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Technology and Communications

Old 16 January 2020, 08:28
BTDT

F With The Man

I absolutely love stuff like this. I wonder if they could make an OLED "License Plate" that you just stuck on your bumper like a sticker, that just constantly randomized "Plates"...Hahahaha!

https://www.reflectacles.com/phantom

https://adversarialfashion.com/
Old 16 January 2020, 09:44
Confirmed User

I saw someone do that with some house numbers that they taped to their license plate in the same style so you couldn't tell the plate had been altered. The texture was different so it wouldn't get picked up by the camera (or whited it out like those glasses in your link; I don't recall).
Old 16 January 2020, 10:04
Problem Solver

Awesome...

"Oderint, dum metuant" ("Let them hate, so long as they fear") - Caligula

"Those that know don't talk and those that talk don't know."
Old 16 January 2020, 10:09
Authorized Personnel

That’s awesome.
Old 16 January 2020, 11:20
Been There Done That

someone's making clothing with the same dazzling type reflective material inside a zipping hoodie that lays down/converts to a collar. I think it was made to blind flash photography to defeat paparazzi, but also works against IR.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 16 January 2020, 11:35
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering_idiot View Post
I saw someone do that with some house numbers that they taped to their license plate in the same style so you couldn't tell the plate had been altered. The texture was different so it wouldn't get picked up by the camera (or whited it out like those glasses in your link; I don't recall).
N.A.C. (Not A Cop) - I would think you wouldn't want to do anything to the plate itself, as I think there are actual citations for that - I think you can even get a ticket if you go "mudding" and don't clean it off. But 'Big Boy Rules', so... LOL!
Old 16 January 2020, 11:36
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW Driver View Post
someone's making clothing with the same dazzling type reflective material inside a zipping hoodie that lays down/converts to a collar. I think it was made to blind flash photography to defeat paparazzi, but also works against IR.
It would, wouldn't it?! Light reflects - doesn't matter if the eye can't see it! LOL!
Old 16 January 2020, 14:17
Custom User Title

Mass State Police caught a kidnapping suspect on the highway yesterday with the 11 year old girl he'd snatched off the street hours earlier. They were able to locate the suspect vehicle due to plate readers. But you know, fuck the man and all that.
Old 16 January 2020, 14:55
Never to old to learn

It use to be when a person got a new car or new owner they would have a Small Red paper sticker in their rear window.

Individuals would drive around for a long time after the Temp sticker expired

NOW you get a Temp Lic. plate that has a copy of the Lic. Plate you will receive from DMV. CA is makes sure they get thee Big Bucks $$$$ from you
Old 16 January 2020, 17:23
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino0311 View Post
Mass State Police caught a kidnapping suspect on the highway yesterday with the 11 year old girl he'd snatched off the street hours earlier. They were able to locate the suspect vehicle due to plate readers. But you know, fuck the man and all that.
I'm sure a Red Flag somewhere actually did prevent a shooting once, too. I have no problem if you input a target plate, and the system ignores all others that don't match. No database over x days old, etc... But 'They' don't program the software that way, do they? As usual, they want to gob up power and track, and track, and catalog, and keep forever...cuz "ya never know...." der, der, derr

So yea, F The Man.

Edit: You have inside baseball info that ALPR was used?

Quote:
Kenney said he sprung into action when he heard the child yelling for help and tried to get the vehicle’s license plate number.

“My wife saw most of it,” the neighbor said.

State police released an image of a blue Honda they believed was involved in the kidnapping and an Amber Alert revealed a license plate number. Around 7:15 p.m., authorities began to receive multiple tips from drivers on the Massachusetts Turnpike that they spotted the suspect vehicle near Auburn and Sturbridge.

The suspect vehicle was spotted in a work zone
and state police troopers were able to arrest Rodriguez.
Was there an ALPR Reader in the work zone?

Last edited by Polypro; 16 January 2020 at 17:31.
Old 16 January 2020, 17:29
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
I'm sure a Red Flag somewhere actually did prevent a shooting once, too. I have no problem if you input a target plate, and the system ignores all others that don't match. No database over x days old, etc... But 'They' don't program the software that way, do they? As usual, they want to gob up power and track, and track, and catalog, and keep forever...cuz "ya never know...." der, der, derr

So yea, F The Man.

Edit: You have inside baseball info that ALPR was used?
It's worse. It's a third party that uses the data for other revenue purchases in addition to what the government pays them.
Old 16 January 2020, 18:46
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
It would, wouldn't it?! Light reflects - doesn't matter if the eye can't see it! LOL!
The only downside I see is being a big, brightly traceable target, camera to camera to camera.... it may be later, when they string enough footage to trace a path, but still.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 16 January 2020, 18:48
ditch digger

Cali DMV still selling info they prohibited (or propose to) by private sector...FTM
Old 17 January 2020, 01:22
Make a desert and call it peace.

Repossession industry created their own plate database, looking for skips, you see them trolling parking lots all the time. The schmucks even try scanning cars on the expressways every once in a while until the troopers run them off for obstructing traffic. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.”
- Robert E. Lee
Old 17 January 2020, 08:46
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW Driver View Post
The only downside I see is being a big, brightly traceable target, camera to camera to camera.... it may be later, when they string enough footage to trace a path, but still.
Very true, but I guess its either "Glowing guy went here, here, and here" vs "KW went here, here, and here" ???
Old 17 January 2020, 08:47
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Cali DMV still selling info they prohibited (or propose to) by private sector...FTM
I shudder at the stuff we don't know. Especially when we do know that immunity is given to the private sector when USG asks them to violate the BoR for them.
Old 17 January 2020, 08:54
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoFiveMike View Post
Repossession industry created their own plate database, looking for skips, you see them trolling parking lots all the time. The schmucks even try scanning cars on the expressways every once in a while until the troopers run them off for obstructing traffic. S/F....Ken M
Oh I'm sure. I actually don't have a problem (might change) with a system that only pings off of a 'Hot List' - ignoring every other person. That wouldn't be much different than giving Officer O'Mally a picture during the morning brief and saying "look out for this guy". Ofc O walks around and see's hundreds of people without a care, and then see's Johnny Douchebag! Ding, ding!

Currently, Ofc O is stopping every person he comes into contact with, jotting down their name, address, location and taking a picture - on his quest for Johnny Douchebag - it's BS.
Old 20 January 2020, 18:32
Make a desert and call it peace.

No, data and analysis is so cheap, they create a total list of everything. All that's lacking is integration with DMV and other .gov databases. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.”
- Robert E. Lee

Our new posting rules