SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Technology and Communications

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 16 January 2020, 08:28
Polypro's Avatar
Polypro Polypro is offline
BTDT
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: A Noisy Bar In Avalon
Posts: 14,515
F With The Man

I absolutely love stuff like this. I wonder if they could make an OLED "License Plate" that you just stuck on your bumper like a sticker, that just constantly randomized "Plates"...Hahahaha!

https://www.reflectacles.com/phantom

https://adversarialfashion.com/
__________________
"The eight year assault, on your 2nd Amendment rights, is over!"
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 16 January 2020, 09:44
wandering_idiot's Avatar
wandering_idiot wandering_idiot is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: BFE
Posts: 706
I saw someone do that with some house numbers that they taped to their license plate in the same style so you couldn't tell the plate had been altered. The texture was different so it wouldn't get picked up by the camera (or whited it out like those glasses in your link; I don't recall).
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 16 January 2020, 10:04
Shadow's Avatar
Shadow Shadow is offline
Problem Solver
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Everywhere
Posts: 5,120
Awesome...
__________________
"If you force me to do violence, I shall be so savage and so cruel, and hurt you so badly that the thought of revenge shall never cross your mind" --Machiavelli

"Oderint, dum metuant" ("Let them hate, so long as they fear") - Caligula

"Those that know don't talk and those that talk don't know."
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 16 January 2020, 10:09
CV's Avatar
CV CV is offline
Authorized Personnel
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 8,388
That’s awesome.
__________________
It's a hipster filter. Keeps your kind out. -Jimbo
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 16 January 2020, 11:20
KW Driver's Avatar
KW Driver KW Driver is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: CONUS
Posts: 1,073
someone's making clothing with the same dazzling type reflective material inside a zipping hoodie that lays down/converts to a collar. I think it was made to blind flash photography to defeat paparazzi, but also works against IR.
__________________
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 16 January 2020, 11:35
Polypro's Avatar
Polypro Polypro is offline
BTDT
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: A Noisy Bar In Avalon
Posts: 14,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering_idiot View Post
I saw someone do that with some house numbers that they taped to their license plate in the same style so you couldn't tell the plate had been altered. The texture was different so it wouldn't get picked up by the camera (or whited it out like those glasses in your link; I don't recall).
N.A.C. (Not A Cop) - I would think you wouldn't want to do anything to the plate itself, as I think there are actual citations for that - I think you can even get a ticket if you go "mudding" and don't clean it off. But 'Big Boy Rules', so... LOL!
__________________
"The eight year assault, on your 2nd Amendment rights, is over!"
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 16 January 2020, 11:36
Polypro's Avatar
Polypro Polypro is offline
BTDT
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: A Noisy Bar In Avalon
Posts: 14,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by KW Driver View Post
someone's making clothing with the same dazzling type reflective material inside a zipping hoodie that lays down/converts to a collar. I think it was made to blind flash photography to defeat paparazzi, but also works against IR.
It would, wouldn't it?! Light reflects - doesn't matter if the eye can't see it! LOL!
__________________
"The eight year assault, on your 2nd Amendment rights, is over!"
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 16 January 2020, 14:17
Dino0311 Dino0311 is offline
Custom User Title
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Northeast
Posts: 13,047
Mass State Police caught a kidnapping suspect on the highway yesterday with the 11 year old girl he'd snatched off the street hours earlier. They were able to locate the suspect vehicle due to plate readers. But you know, fuck the man and all that.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 16 January 2020, 14:55
wildman43's Avatar
wildman43 wildman43 is offline
Never to old to learn
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: California
Posts: 2,975
It use to be when a person got a new car or new owner they would have a Small Red paper sticker in their rear window.

Individuals would drive around for a long time after the Temp sticker expired

NOW you get a Temp Lic. plate that has a copy of the Lic. Plate you will receive from DMV. CA is makes sure they get thee Big Bucks $$$$ from you
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 16 January 2020, 17:23
Polypro's Avatar
Polypro Polypro is offline
BTDT
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: A Noisy Bar In Avalon
Posts: 14,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino0311 View Post
Mass State Police caught a kidnapping suspect on the highway yesterday with the 11 year old girl he'd snatched off the street hours earlier. They were able to locate the suspect vehicle due to plate readers. But you know, fuck the man and all that.
I'm sure a Red Flag somewhere actually did prevent a shooting once, too. I have no problem if you input a target plate, and the system ignores all others that don't match. No database over x days old, etc... But 'They' don't program the software that way, do they? As usual, they want to gob up power and track, and track, and catalog, and keep forever...cuz "ya never know...." der, der, derr

So yea, F The Man.

Edit: You have inside baseball info that ALPR was used?

Quote:
Kenney said he sprung into action when he heard the child yelling for help and tried to get the vehicle’s license plate number.

“My wife saw most of it,” the neighbor said.

State police released an image of a blue Honda they believed was involved in the kidnapping and an Amber Alert revealed a license plate number. Around 7:15 p.m., authorities began to receive multiple tips from drivers on the Massachusetts Turnpike that they spotted the suspect vehicle near Auburn and Sturbridge.

The suspect vehicle was spotted in a work zone
and state police troopers were able to arrest Rodriguez.
Was there an ALPR Reader in the work zone?
__________________
"The eight year assault, on your 2nd Amendment rights, is over!"

Last edited by Polypro; 16 January 2020 at 17:31.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 16 January 2020, 17:29
CV's Avatar
CV CV is offline
Authorized Personnel
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 8,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
I'm sure a Red Flag somewhere actually did prevent a shooting once, too. I have no problem if you input a target plate, and the system ignores all others that don't match. No database over x days old, etc... But 'They' don't program the software that way, do they? As usual, they want to gob up power and track, and track, and catalog, and keep forever...cuz "ya never know...." der, der, derr

So yea, F The Man.

Edit: You have inside baseball info that ALPR was used?
It's worse. It's a third party that uses the data for other revenue purchases in addition to what the government pays them.
__________________
It's a hipster filter. Keeps your kind out. -Jimbo
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 16 January 2020, 18:46
KW Driver's Avatar
KW Driver KW Driver is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: CONUS
Posts: 1,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
It would, wouldn't it?! Light reflects - doesn't matter if the eye can't see it! LOL!
The only downside I see is being a big, brightly traceable target, camera to camera to camera.... it may be later, when they string enough footage to trace a path, but still.
__________________
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 16 January 2020, 18:48
Fred's Avatar
Fred Fred is offline
ditch digger
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: TBD
Posts: 702
Cali DMV still selling info they prohibited (or propose to) by private sector...FTM
__________________
teams
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 17 January 2020, 01:22
EchoFiveMike's Avatar
EchoFiveMike EchoFiveMike is offline
Make a desert and call it peace.
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: back home, IVO chicago
Posts: 8,964
Repossession industry created their own plate database, looking for skips, you see them trolling parking lots all the time. The schmucks even try scanning cars on the expressways every once in a while until the troopers run them off for obstructing traffic. S/F....Ken M
__________________
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.”
- Robert E. Lee
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 17 January 2020, 08:46
Polypro's Avatar
Polypro Polypro is offline
BTDT
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: A Noisy Bar In Avalon
Posts: 14,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by KW Driver View Post
The only downside I see is being a big, brightly traceable target, camera to camera to camera.... it may be later, when they string enough footage to trace a path, but still.
Very true, but I guess its either "Glowing guy went here, here, and here" vs "KW went here, here, and here" ???
__________________
"The eight year assault, on your 2nd Amendment rights, is over!"
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 17 January 2020, 08:47
Polypro's Avatar
Polypro Polypro is offline
BTDT
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: A Noisy Bar In Avalon
Posts: 14,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Cali DMV still selling info they prohibited (or propose to) by private sector...FTM
I shudder at the stuff we don't know. Especially when we do know that immunity is given to the private sector when USG asks them to violate the BoR for them.
__________________
"The eight year assault, on your 2nd Amendment rights, is over!"
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 17 January 2020, 08:54
Polypro's Avatar
Polypro Polypro is offline
BTDT
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: A Noisy Bar In Avalon
Posts: 14,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoFiveMike View Post
Repossession industry created their own plate database, looking for skips, you see them trolling parking lots all the time. The schmucks even try scanning cars on the expressways every once in a while until the troopers run them off for obstructing traffic. S/F....Ken M
Oh I'm sure. I actually don't have a problem (might change) with a system that only pings off of a 'Hot List' - ignoring every other person. That wouldn't be much different than giving Officer O'Mally a picture during the morning brief and saying "look out for this guy". Ofc O walks around and see's hundreds of people without a care, and then see's Johnny Douchebag! Ding, ding!

Currently, Ofc O is stopping every person he comes into contact with, jotting down their name, address, location and taking a picture - on his quest for Johnny Douchebag - it's BS.
__________________
"The eight year assault, on your 2nd Amendment rights, is over!"
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 20 January 2020, 18:32
EchoFiveMike's Avatar
EchoFiveMike EchoFiveMike is offline
Make a desert and call it peace.
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: back home, IVO chicago
Posts: 8,964
No, data and analysis is so cheap, they create a total list of everything. All that's lacking is integration with DMV and other .gov databases. S/F....Ken M
__________________
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.”
- Robert E. Lee
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Our new posting rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:54.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Socnet.com All Rights Reserved
© SOCNET 1996-2018