SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 16 July 2013, 15:56
REMF

Pork.
Old 17 July 2013, 13:25
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Having the temperature in mid winter fall to, and remain at, about 17-22 degrees for about 3-5 days, and then going out during the day when all the kids are at school and having the hockey rink all to myself for an hour or more.

I also eat pizza on Friday night (long standing tradition dating back to childhood) and enjoy taking a 17 oz bottle of Dr. Pepper and putting it in the freezer until it has has the consistency of a slurpee, and drinking about half of it while I enjoy a few slices. It's the only day of the week I drink pop.

With the exception of Saturday, when I knock back the other half of it while eating some chips and guacamole.
Old 17 July 2013, 14:11
Confirmed User

Watching my 12 year old after JFL conditioning practice -- soaked in sweat and smiling from ear to ear.
When your kids bust their ass and give it their all and then some more. That goes for academically as well as physically.
Old 17 July 2013, 15:14
Been There Done That

Finding an old picture, of a time I had completely forgotten about, and remembering like it was yesterday once I laid eyes on it !
Old 17 July 2013, 16:21
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamin View Post
Watching my 12 year old after JFL conditioning practice -- soaked in sweat and smiling from ear to ear.
When your kids bust their ass and give it their all and then some more. That goes for academically as well as physically.
Don't forget, water breaks anytime somebody needs to take some in, especially youth. I'm sure that's the rule these days.

When I was that age playing back in the 70's, coaches didn't allow you to drink water until you were well into a 3-4 hour practice. I've never been that thirsty in my life, even when I was living in the desert. Even after hydrating like a madman prior to practice, I'd lose it all within an hour and a half.

What were we thinking back then? And good luck to your boy as his season progresses.
Old 17 July 2013, 16:36
Drawing my cutlass

Yep...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Don't forget, water breaks anytime somebody needs to take some in, especially youth. I'm sure that's the rule these days.

When I was that age playing back in the 70's, coaches didn't allow you to drink water until you were well into a 3-4 hour practice. I've never been that thirsty in my life, even when I was living in the desert. Even after hydrating like a madman prior to practice, I'd lose it all within an hour and a half.

What were we thinking back then? And good luck to your boy as his season progresses.
...piss would come out the color of orange.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 18 July 2013, 23:49

Tonight its a Artuo Fuente Short Story cigar with a nice glass of Buffalo Trace.
Old 19 July 2013, 00:09
I reckon so. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justaclerk View Post
...with so much fucktardery going on nowadays, I thought it might be nice to post something that dials it back a bit. I'll start:

The first, freshly brewed cup of joe in the morning.
"Much" Small Pleasures gained from reading thru this thread!

My Small pleasure for today is Skill Sets. I was sitting out on my deck overlooking the water just after the sun fell down beyond the tree line talkin' with my son on the phone......realizing the sound I'm hearing out of the other ear is the A/C compressor whirring without a condenser fan running.....Having the skill set and an extra capacitor to fix said fan so I don't have to burn up all night in this heat, and my Girlfriend can come home to a cool house in the a.m. after her shift in the ICU 60 miles away.
Old 19 July 2013, 00:48
Drawing my cutlass

The first bite of just-chilled-right cantaloupe.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 19 July 2013, 02:04
Confirmed User

Filipinas/lbfm's
Old 23 July 2013, 22:11
Migratory Coconut

The first time I played a Zeppelin song all the way through in front of my dad.

Listening to my daughter play the rhythm from "Seven Nation Army" upstairs knowing my dad and I are both teaching her guitar (she just turned 7).

Knowing the first thing my gf wants if she actually wakes up from a nightmare is me holding onto her.

Having my pet ferret,Noodle, fall asleep on my belly while I scratch his ears.

Having beers with my best friend, talking about all the stupid things we did when we were younger and realizing we'd both do it again in a heartbeat.

The first time playing my PRS One and the first time using my new Fender half stack. Awesome that that was at the same time.

Great thread.

ETA: Don't want to sound materialistic but getting my first paycheck at a competitive pay rate last Friday. I can actually save more than $5-10 per pay now.

And being at nationals having done a horrible back 2 1/2 on 3M and knowing my coach was proud when I did a reverse 2 1/2 for 9's on my next dive.

Teaching both my gf and daughter to play chess an they're both excited about it.

"I may go to hell for it, but recess will be legendary!"- Longrifle

Last edited by jtk317; 23 July 2013 at 22:25.
Old 23 July 2013, 22:30
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

At 50yo, being able to knock out 1k pushups in a day....
Old 24 July 2013, 00:29
Been There Done That

Listening to a bull elk at sunrise. (which will happen 38 days from now)

A beer that's so cold you have to switch hands.

A practice session where the guitar, the amp, and I are all adjusted exactly right... and no interruptions for hours.

Geese coming into the decoys, feet down and committed... and (seconds later) watching the dog sprint out to retrieve.

The first dip of Copenhagen on a winter morning that I left in the truck overnight.
Old 24 July 2013, 09:14
Confirmed User

Spending four days at Cub Scout Camp in 98 degree heat, and humidity with my son for his first summer camp, and having him wake me up the first morning we were home for Polar Bear swim.
Old 24 July 2013, 10:10
Old Scroll

Thumbs up

• Paddling a canoe on Grand Teton's String Lake on a crispy morning and listening to X-rgr's bugling bull elk from 15 feet away
  • Morning wood head
  • "Sweet Child in Time" cranked LOUD in the garage while making up a bunch of wax slugs
  • A razor-sharp vintage double-bitted axe on a crispy morning
  • Being DEEP in the woods where there is NO sound of humanity or its artifacts

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 24 July 2013, 10:13
Hard to Kill

A day I don't fight with my wife, when my daughters call me, watching my kid ride her horse, the smell of corn flakes in a barn full of hay.
Old 24 July 2013, 10:15
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy
....the smell of corn flakes in a barn full of hay.
You eat breakfast in the barn? You're so weird....
Old 24 July 2013, 11:10
Drawing my cutlass

Surprised nobody has said this yet: perfect bacon, crispy and tender at the same time.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:

Billy L-Bach
Quote:

Tracy
Old 24 July 2013, 12:26
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justaclerk View Post
Surprised nobody has said this yet: perfect bacon, crispy and tender at the same time.
Naturally firm breasts that like exposure to fresh air.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 24 July 2013, 12:28
Shakin' the bush Boss

Eating stuff that I either grew or shot on my own land.

Our new posting rules