SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 9 May 2019, 19:37
Confirmed User

Started my Provent this week. No noticeable results so far, but it's only been a few days. They're fairly easy to get used to, if a bit uncomfortable at first.
Old 25 May 2019, 11:04
Life is simple, not easy.

I went on Amazon to seek out the costs of AirFit F10 mask, along with a hose, the strap, and filter. Turns out I can buy a new cushion portion of the mask, keep my frame that snaps into the cushion (the cushion is the mask that fits your face, the frame connects to the cushion and receives the straps) and the hose/strap/filter for less than $75.00.

Every 3 months this was costing me $180.00. So I save myself $420.00 yr if this works out.

Same make and same manufacturer. Either the company I was getting these through was royally ripping me off or this isn't going to work. We'll see but the part numbers match and the reviews were spot on 4-5 stars.

Last edited by Sigi; 25 May 2019 at 11:10.
Old 25 May 2019, 11:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by currahee3-4 View Post
I just wanted to thank everyone who posted their experiences. Reading them was probably the thing that pushed me over the finish line and got me to finally go have my tests done.
That's awesome. I have a buddy who inquired about apnea/CPAP on Facebook and there must have been 40 people responding who also have a CPAP - and at least 8 woman as well.

Four of my friends and 1 cousin died in their sleep. There is no way to tell if apnea played a part, but at least with my cousin I know he had work done on his nose for apnea because he didn't want to wear a mask. We lost him before he was 50.

I would probably be a dumbass if I were in my 20's-30's because it isn't a sexy look, but my wife is Soooo much happier now that I don't snore anymore.
Old 30 May 2019, 03:05
Ne Obliviscaris

Got my sleep study results back. AHI (apneas and hypoapneas per hour) 31.7, ODI (oxygen desaturations per hour) 32.8 and a snore index of 56.7%-= Severe Sleep Apnea. My return appointment for the CPAP machine is in mid July.
Old 30 May 2019, 07:11
Authorized Personnel

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostile0311 View Post
AHI (apneas and hypoapneas per hour) 31.7
Holy smokes. That has to be the worst score I've seen. For context, I am hovering around 1.5/hr. You should easily be a new man once you start CPAP treatment.
Old 30 May 2019, 08:42
SOCNET Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV View Post
Holy smokes. That has to be the worst score I've seen. For context, I am hovering around 1.5/hr. You should easily be a new man once you start CPAP treatment.
When my test was over they told me I was having 70 events +/-per hour.... every minute I was not breathing at least 10 seconds....
Doc said it was not the worst he ever saw but it was right up there with them. I feel totally different now that I use one.
Old 30 May 2019, 08:53
Been There Done That

Quote:
Got my sleep study results back. AHI (apneas and hypoapneas per hour) 31.7, ODI (oxygen desaturations per hour) 32.8 and a snore index of 56.7%-= Severe Sleep Apnea. My return appointment for the CPAP machine is in mid July.
When you get it. Use it.

It will take some time to get use to, but you will get use to it and once you do you will wake up refreshed. And the dreams will start again.
Old 30 May 2019, 09:08
Ne Obliviscaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous View Post
When you get it. Use it.

It will take some time to get use to, but you will get use to it and once you do you will wake up refreshed. And the dreams will start again.
Oh I will. What is strange though is I do dream...almost every night.
Old 30 May 2019, 09:13
Ne Obliviscaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV View Post
Its always "Go Big or Go Home" with me. With 3 cerebral aneurisms and now confirmed sleep apnea...I'm not at all surprised the numbers are way up there. I honestly don't know how I am still alive.
Old 30 May 2019, 09:14
Been There Done That

Quote:
Oh I will. What is strange though is I do dream...almost every night.
As the Docs explained to me you have to get to the REM stage of sleep to dream and get the real rest your body needs. They also said hallucinations arenít dreams.
Old 30 May 2019, 11:34

Quote:
Mine were high as well, and my "stop breathing" incidents were around 60 per hour.

My AHI is around 2 now with the machine.
Old 16 July 2019, 07:03
Ne Obliviscaris

Got my Philips Respironics Dream Station Auto-CPAP yesterday and used it for the first time last night. It was a bit weird at first because it is tough exhaling and it also felt like I was hyperventilating slightly but I eventually went to sleep. I have the mask with the nasal pillows. I suffer from sinus congestion at night but the tech recommended this type mask and said it would likely improve my sinus condition. We'll see.

I did in fact dream and damn if I didn't wake up with a nice boner this morning lol. Can't remember the last time that happened. I actually do feel a bit refreshed. Its 1300 here and I haven't had the urge to nod off like usual at my desk.

A buddy that served in the same unit as me (same time frame and same deployments) just got a 50% rating for sleep apnea. I'm thinking about filing a claim myself.
Old 16 July 2019, 07:39
The atomic zit

Good news !!!!
Old 16 July 2019, 09:08
been ***** **** that

Am glad some of you are getting some relief ! Never waste a boner! If your wife or girlfriend ain't handy, love the one your with!
Old 16 July 2019, 12:43
Did...did I do that?

Quote:
I have the mask with the nasal pillows. I suffer from sinus congestion at night
Be willing to play around with the humidity settings a bit. You may want to turn it up a bit. Took me 3-5 days to get that setting nailed. I bump it up one notch when I'm sick & congested.
Old 16 July 2019, 13:30
Assholier than thou

Too much to read through, so forgive me if this has been said.
I have severe sleep apnea, not weight-related. I went on a CPAP in 2013 and my life has improved immeasurably.

Last year I started using the Dream Mask. Game changer. The intake is on top of your head so the hose does not bother you, nice soft nose piece, and you can sleep on either side because the part of the mask's structure is rubber air tubes on either side. Because the air comes in through the tubing on both sides, you can sleep on either side without interrupting pressure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CPAP.jpg (9.6 KB, 28 views)
"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses. So you longed for the lewdness of your youth, when in Egypt your bosom was caressed and your young breasts fondled."

--Ezekiel 23:20-49, NIV Bible.

Last edited by ARCHANGELRANGER; 16 July 2019 at 13:45.
Old 16 July 2019, 13:44
Assholier than thou

... and you can get them through the VA.
"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses. So you longed for the lewdness of your youth, when in Egypt your bosom was caressed and your young breasts fondled."

Old 16 July 2019, 15:27
Ne Obliviscaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARCHANGELRANGER View Post
Too much to read through, so forgive me if this has been said.
I have severe sleep apnea, not weight-related. I went on a CPAP in 2013 and my life has improved immeasurably.

Last year I started using the Dream Mask. Game changer. The intake is on top of your head so the hose does not bother you, nice soft nose piece, and you can sleep on either side because the part of the mask's structure is rubber air tubes on either side. Because the air comes in through the tubing on both sides, you can sleep on either side without interrupting pressure.
This is the mask I got with my machine.
Old 16 July 2019, 15:28
Ne Obliviscaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmueller View Post
Be willing to play around with the humidity settings a bit. You may want to turn it up a bit. Took me 3-5 days to get that setting nailed. I bump it up one notch when I'm sick & congested.
I will tinker with it tonight.
Old 16 July 2019, 15:46
Assholier than thou

Quote:
I will tinker with it tonight.
Don't be too proud to use Afrin.

Our new posting rules