SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 16 December 2018, 16:53
Confirmed User

Self-directed 401k to start a business

I found some threads that discussed using a SD 401k for better investment options, or a business already operating and using a 401k - but has anyone gone the route of starting up a business by using a SD 401k as a rollover from your existing 401k ?

I am putting together plans to start a biz and am looking at all of the initial funding options. This one seems like a good one.

So if anyone has gone this route and has lessons learned to share - I would love to hear them. Thanks in advance.
Old 16 December 2018, 18:36
Confirmed User

I haven't done it but I've heard good things. The big thing to be careful of is the potential tax ramifications if the investment is deemed a withdrawal; you don't want that to happen. That said, I assume that the providers who specialize in SD 401k's are pretty stringent on keeping that from happening. There are only a few companies who do this. Also, I would have a good business attorney review everything so that you have an extra layer of oversight.
Old 16 December 2018, 19:49
Ghey floor sweeper

The key difference between a traditional and self directed plan is that one can invest in closely held companies through a self directed plan. The basic process is create the self directed plan, roll over the traditional plan into it, then purchase stock or a membership interest in the corporation/limited liability company that you have created. Iíve recommended it to several clients who wanted to invest in real estate or even use their 401(k) funds to buy a primary residence (in which case they essentially pay interest to themselves).

The SD plan receives all of the tax benefits that the shareholder or member would otherwise receive, so it may not be the best vehicle for an active business (real estate is a passive activity). For example, if you need to generate a loss in one entity to offset gain in another personally, the loss would flow to the plan instead of you. Talk to a CPA or tax attorney about the specific business you want to pursue before pulling the trigger.
Old 17 December 2018, 12:07
Confirmed User

MacDuff and Azatty,

Thanks for your input. I would definitely not do the SD 401 unless I could do it as a rollover (vs. a withdrawal).

Here is the high-level plan I have researched for doing this:
1. Create a Corporation. The guidance I have read recommends a C-Corp
2. Create a new 401k
3. Roll over existing 401 to new 401
4. Invest new 401k in new corporate stock (as well as other options)

This will provide a legal, no tax penalty method of getting a business off the ground.

Since tax season is just around the corner, I will run this past my accountant (CPA, JD) and get his input. Thanks again for your thoughts.

Btw - I know if I go this route, I will need to replenish long-term retirement funds in some way.

Our new posting rules