SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 8 July 2019, 05:15
Confirmed User

Next CNO pick declines position

Admiral Bill Moran declined the position of CNO and instead is choosing to retire. Moran stated that his decision was based on a previous investigation, during which he corresponded with Cmdr. Chris Servello. Servello previously having been disciplined for making unwanted sexual advances on women, including junior officers, while dressed as Santa Clause at a Christmas Party. Servello and Moran had worked with another over the course of a decade. Moran decided to retire, rather than possibly bring discredit on the Navy and the office of CNO.

I'm not sure if the investigation into the communications between the two, which was conducted via Moran's personal e-mail account, was prompted by an interest in his possible interference in the Servello investigation. No charges were ever brought again Moran. Ironically, the optics of his previous relationship with Moran were enough to sink his tenure as CNO.

This seems a bit too far, for me.

Source: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/militar...s-job-n1027251
Old 8 July 2019, 10:52
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrrhic0369 View Post
This seems a bit too far, for me.
A wise man once told me "If you're explaining, you're losing."

He's already got four stars and the political vultures / media vultures will likely try to hurt him in some way, even if he did everything correctly.

Good on him for dropping the microphone.

Bad on the politicians and the media for creating an environment that drove him to drop the microphone.

-Stan

"An increasingly lonely man, Patton felt that his was the voice of truth in a wilderness of indifference." -Carlo D'Este
Old 8 July 2019, 11:38
BT,WBTWC

FWIW: Here are what I see as the issues:

Quote:
Moran stated that his decision was based on a previous investigation, during which he corresponded with Cmdr. Chris Servello. Servello previously having been disciplined for making unwanted sexual advances on women, including junior officers, while dressed as Santa Clause at a Christmas Party.

I'm not sure if the investigation into the communications between the two, which was conducted via Moran's personal e-mail account, was prompted by an interest in his possible interference in the Servello investigation.
Reading a lot between the lines, I don't believe that there was any effort by Moran to interfere with the Servello investigation. Such interference would have derailed his career well before a nomination to CNO.

Servello was disciplined (probably a private letter of admonition) for frat boy hijinks at a Christmas party that probably included "hey baby, come sit in Santa's lap and let's see what I can give you to make you happy at Christmas" kinds of remarks. Almost certainly alcohol was involved. If naughty vs. nice stepped over the line, but Moran believed that it should be a learning experience and not a career ender for Servello, he would have mentored him with a "keep your head up, you can sailor your way to a meaningful career in the Navy" and helped guide him along for ten or so years thereafter.

So what I believe happened was in an effort to encourage Servello, Moran sent him private email messages with blunt locker room talk on the order of:

"I understand why you got the hots over Ensign Hotbody, I wouldn't mind getting of that action myself, but you've got to remember this is post-Tailhook, and all it takes is one complaint and you are screwed, without even getting fucked.
And Lieutenant Lardbottom would have broken you thighs if she had a seat, so it's probably good she said no."

or something like that.

If Moran became CNO, those emails would rendered "Admiral fat-shames navy officers who don't submit to leachery" and "New CNO wouldn't mind 'getting some action' with subordinates."

Time, place, circumstance would have all been disregarded in the #metoo era, and he would have spent his first two years trying to defend himself from claims of "he's just a Navy version of Jeffery Epstein" [cross thread points].

The Navy certainly has enough on it's plate right now, with ships crashing into ships, undermanned ships unable to pull basic maintenance, and incredible wastes of resources like the USS Zumwalt (building a ship with cannon that have no ammunition!?).
Old 8 July 2019, 12:30
33,024 - R.I.P.

Unhappy

“Post Tailhook” Basically the intro of the PC culture of having to apologize for EVERYTHING. I get it. Naval Aviators doing stupid frat shit. Not that I condone rape or groping, but the females involved knew exactly what they were getting into.

Aside from that and in my NCO opinion, anything at the bird or star ranks is all about covering that backside...regardless if the 4th star has been achieved. It’s all about not getting fooked on the next professional progression.
Old 8 July 2019, 21:35
Freelancer

Maybe he didn't want the job and responsibility?
Old 9 July 2019, 09:57
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Maybe he didn't want the job and responsibility?
Nope. Great guy who already had plans in motion to revitalize the Navy.
Old 9 July 2019, 10:44
Freelancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog View Post
Nope. Great guy who already had plans in motion to revitalize the Navy.
Shame, hopefully they find someone with the same ideas.

Our new posting rules