SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 31 October 2002, 04:21
T-Bone
Visitor

Tib/Fib fracture and ACL replacement

Hi, I was involved in a motorcycle accident in the begining of August this year, I recieved a tib/fib fracture in my left leg and i tore up my right acl, which i will have replaced with hamstring tendon next week. I planed on joining the army, but now I am not sure what will happen. I have asked some people but I've recieved verying answers, and I am not sure what to believe. I hope some of you could could tell me what I can expect. I do know I need to wait awhile, I called the recruiters and they only seemed to know that I needed to wait for atleast 6 months. Time is not a big issue for me, but being able to join or not is. A little more info, I have a titanium rod inside my tibia, from my knee to my ankle on the left, it wont set off alarms, but it is metal of course. However, I won't have any metal in my right knee it seems. Thank you for listening.
Old 31 October 2002, 12:35
Confirmed User

T-Bone,
About having a hamstring replacement for your ACL, I would suggest not having that method. It's been my experience with patient follow ups that this particular method has a higher risk of failure. If you worry is having metal in your knee, there is a method that uses a plastic button instead of an interruption screw. Just an FYI.
Old 31 October 2002, 16:05
Airedale
Visitor

ACL Replacement

You basically have 3 options for an ACL replacement...graft from the hamstring, graft from the Patellar (sp) tendon, or using an ACL from a cadaver. I did the Patellar graft at the age of 42....my doctor, a seasoned marathoner, suggested the graft from the cadaver if I was still going to be putting in any sigficant mileage running.

I have completed a marathon with the patellar graft but I do get a lot of tendonitis. The doc does tell me that the graft is stronger than my "regular" knee....just a little bit stiffer and sorer.
Old 31 October 2002, 23:08
T-Bone
Visitor

Ya Tripnastic, the heamstring tendon graft does use that button, and it is the best option, with a high sucsess rate, believe it or not, the pateller tendon graft is now dated. Fortunetly for em, my doctor is very innovative and skillfull, so luckly I have that on my side. I also know that I will be able to do anything afterwards, but what I'd like to know is what the army thinks of such things. It pretty sad that I might be turned down, yet some fat lazy ass clown could get into the army even though he doesn't have any plans really, but we'll see.

Our new posting rules