SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 30 October 2002, 14:59
NOW WITH MORE MOLECULES!

Quote:
Originally posted by TaekwonV
Looking at these replies it seems that this thread was a waste of my time as well as yours. I'll start typing my "you's" and "to's" from now on. I'm an instant messenger junkie, that's where I picked up the bad habit. Reaper, thank you for your reply. I'll do a more thorough search of this site.
Wow, looks like we can mark as target and stand by for new mission... good BDA.

Never fuck with a guy who wants to die in battle.
Old 30 October 2002, 16:20
cmr
Visitor

Quote:
Originally posted by CPTAUSRET

cmr is testing you (fiendishly clever of her), she has deliberately misspelled a couple of words in her response to you:

Terry
I could accept this but I'll pony up and admit I have a phobia about "A"s preferring to either leave them out or substitute "E"s

How kind of you to credit me with cleverness though

Ok, the real truth is I hadn't had coffee yet and as a rule I post with a ten pound dictionary on the floor beside me and desk thesaurus within easy reach.
Old 30 October 2002, 17:56
BTDT

Cheri:

I proofread Nancy's books, comes naturally for me:

Have a nice day:

Terry
Old 30 October 2002, 20:42
Confirmed User

Gimme a break.

Taekwan,

You've never seriously worked out, and you're not even sure what Special Forces do, but you already signed the contract? You've got to be kidding me.
Old 30 October 2002, 21:21
JMW85
Visitor

Quote:
You've never seriously worked out,
It depends on what someone would call a serious workout, a triathlon junkie wouldn't consider a daily 4 mile run to be serious would they? Its all a matter of perspective.
Old 30 October 2002, 22:23
BTDT

Last edited by flashbang; 31 October 2002 at 11:32.
Old 31 October 2002, 00:49
TaekwonV
Visitor

BDA Report, please explain more...

I don't want to make any enemies on this forum, please leave the insults elsewhere. There is a difference between criticism, comments, and just plain talking s*it.

What kind of idiot would sign up for something they didn't have a clue about? I do know what SF are, what they do, however I want to increase my knowledge further to have a better understanding of what my life will be like if in fact I do go all the way.
Old 31 October 2002, 01:50
Authorized Personnel

Taekwon
You are the one that is in need of help. If you can't take sh*t here then don't take the oath and waste tax payers money. It has been suggested that you browse the vast amount of information stored on this site and gather from it what you can THEN come back and ask questions if you are still unsure. No one is going to become your enemy and just because you got a little fire under you ass here does not mean you are not welcomed. Take it as it comes. There are some remarkable people on this forum that could fill up a library with all the info they could provide. Don't isolate them from yourself by not being able to handle the shit. The one thing I can advise on from experience is NEVER QUIT! Aside from that good luck!
Old 31 October 2002, 02:40
Special Forces
Visitor

Quote:
Originally posted by TaekwonV
BDA Report, please explain more...

I don't want to make any enemies on this forum, please leave the insults elsewhere. There is a difference between criticism, comments, and just plain talking s*it.

What kind of idiot would sign up for something they didn't have a clue about? I do know what SF are, what they do, however I want to increase my knowledge further to have a better understanding of what my life will be like if in fact I do go all the way.
TKV:

As you could have discovered with 30 seconds research, a BDA report is rendered after an airstrike (or arty) is delivered on a target to determine the damage inflicted, hence the title, BOMB DAMAGE ASSESSMENT.

In case it is still unclear, Double_D posted a poor response and was targeted for a strike, which he received. GET IT NOW?

Many people in the know look at a soldier's uniform or his record for a read of who he is and what he has done before they even speak to him. In the absence of a real history, your words are your personnel file here. When you come in here with lazy grammar and spelling, without any other credentials, asking questions which have already been answered recently, people resent it and take you as a trivial person of no consequence. You have cleared that up and I am glad to see that you do, in fact know how to write properly.

Intelligent questions here will get you answers unavailable anywhere else. Stupid or tedious ones will get you initially scorn and derision, followed by being ignored, and finally, if you get rude, banned.

Over 50% of the soldiers who enlist on 18X contracts do not make it to the SFQC. Yet there are constant, repeat questions here from guys still sitting in their living rooms asking about how MOSes are assigned, how can I get physically prepared without actually doing any work, why can't I bring my HSLD gear to SFAS, what Group will I be assigned to, etc.

Someone asked the same questions as you last week, and someone will ask the same questions next week. Then they will get angry when they get a bad response, a smart assed response, or no response.

This site is supported by a number of BTDTs, some still on active duty who go out of their way to spend a lot of their own time helping others. I have answered my share of questions, and then some. After answering the same question from another 15 year old kid in East Nowhere, Iowa for the 15th time in a week who is not even close to getting to SF, it becomes tedious and we tend to ignore posts from wannabes for a while, even the ones with good questions. So the BTDT either goes away, or quits answering questions outside the APO and Team Room areas.

cmr has never been through SF training, and she probably knows more about SF than some of the BTDTs here. Here is a clue. She did not gather that trove of information by talking. Pushing the "transmit" key excessively will get you little here.

SF is looking for confident soldiers of above average intelligence and initiative, who can accomplish difficult missions with a minimum of details and handholding. Hence the name "SPECIAL" forces. Not average, not routine, not conventional.

Personally, I like to see a guy here sign up and lurk for a month or two while gathering intel by reading everything, and doing some research for himself before he askes ANY questions, unless he is enroute to SFAS prior to that. I see a stupid question and I begin to wonder whether the person asking it is really someone we want in SF.

You THINK you know what SF does enough to sign a contract for it, I suggest that you continue reading and researching, until you are as certain as you can be as to what SF does without having done it. You get to Camp Mackall without knowing why you are there and your visit will be brief.

Don't expect people here to be nice to you, or to have to respond quickly or politely when you ask them to take their time to answer your question. You haven't earned anything yet, so don't expect too much. No one here works for you, or is paid to give you an education. This isn't High School. Similarly, no one is going to GIVE you a beret and tab. You have to EARN them, and it is not easy. You do that by your actions, not by your words. You have to PROVE yourself worthy. You do and you will never have to worry about anyone questioning your dedication or devotion again. You will have nothing left to prove, except to yourself. Over 70% of the people who start out after the tab, never get it and fall by the wayside for a variety of reasons. And we are willing to do that to get the kind of people we need for Special Forces. Welcome to the real world, kid.

The advice to close your mouth and open your ears was well intentioned and was some of the best advice you will ever get. If you happen to be thin skinned and can't handle a little spot correction here, I don't think we will be seeing you out at Camp Mackall. If the posts here offend you and you don't like it, feel free to leave and spend your time elsewhere. You will not be missed. Your alternatives if you stay here are to read much and post little, or talk a lot, get mad, and get sent packing. That is completely up to you.

I provided you with a list of places to go to get the info you were asking about, and cautioned you about asking further questions till you did. I put up a post only a week or two ago myself, giving someone else generic soldier advice for the wannabes, along with cautioning the Nervous Nellies about obsessing too much, too far ahead of time. I am not your enemy, but it does not appear to me that you have read it, or researched much in the interim. I recommend that you read this, go back to square one, do some research, and think before you ask your next question. You do as you think best, though.

Good luck and God Bless.

Last edited by Special Forces; 31 October 2002 at 02:47.
Old 31 October 2002, 03:57
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally posted by The Reaper

TKV:

As you could have discovered with 30 seconds research, a BDA report is rendered after an airstrike (or arty) is delivered on a target to determine the damage inflicted, hence the title, BOMB DAMAGE ASSESSMENT.

In case it is still unclear, Double_D posted a poor response and was targeted for a strike, which he received. GET IT NOW?

Many people in the know look at a soldier's uniform or his record for a read of who he is and what he has done before they even speak to him. In the absence of a real history, your words are your personnel file here. When you come in here with lazy grammar and spelling, without any other credentials, asking questions which have already been answered recently, people resent it and take you as a trivial person of no consequence. You have cleared that up and I am glad to see that you do, in fact know how to write properly.

Intelligent questions here will get you answers unavailable anywhere else. Stupid or tedious ones will get you initially scorn and derision, followed by being ignored, and finally, if you get rude, banned.

Over 50% of the soldiers who enlist on 18X contracts do not make it to the SFQC. Yet there are constant, repeat questions here from guys still sitting in their living rooms asking about how MOSes are assigned, how can I get physically prepared without actually doing any work, why can't I bring my HSLD gear to SFAS, what Group will I be assigned to, etc.

Someone asked the same questions as you last week, and someone will ask the same questions next week. Then they will get angry when they get a bad response, a smart assed response, or no response.

This site is supported by a number of BTDTs, some still on active duty who go out of their way to spend a lot of their own time helping others. I have answered my share of questions, and then some. After answering the same question from another 15 year old kid in East Nowhere, Iowa for the 15th time in a week who is not even close to getting to SF, it becomes tedious and we tend to ignore posts from wannabes for a while, even the ones with good questions. So the BTDT either goes away, or quits answering questions outside the APO and Team Room areas.

cmr has never been through SF training, and she probably knows more about SF than some of the BTDTs here. Here is a clue. She did not gather that trove of information by talking. Pushing the "transmit" key excessively will get you little here.

SF is looking for confident soldiers of above average intelligence and initiative, who can accomplish difficult missions with a minimum of details and handholding. Hence the name "SPECIAL" forces. Not average, not routine, not conventional.

Personally, I like to see a guy here sign up and lurk for a month or two while gathering intel by reading everything, and doing some research for himself before he askes ANY questions, unless he is enroute to SFAS prior to that. I see a stupid question and I begin to wonder whether the person asking it is really someone we want in SF.

You THINK you know what SF does enough to sign a contract for it, I suggest that you continue reading and researching, until you are as certain as you can be as to what SF does without having done it. You get to Camp Mackall without knowing why you are there and your visit will be brief.

Don't expect people here to be nice to you, or to have to respond quickly or politely when you ask them to take their time to answer your question. You haven't earned anything yet, so don't expect too much. No one here works for you, or is paid to give you an education. This isn't High School. Similarly, no one is going to GIVE you a beret and tab. You have to EARN them, and it is not easy. You do that by your actions, not by your words. You have to PROVE yourself worthy. You do and you will never have to worry about anyone questioning your dedication or devotion again. You will have nothing left to prove, except to yourself. Over 70% of the people who start out after the tab, never get it and fall by the wayside for a variety of reasons. And we are willing to do that to get the kind of people we need for Special Forces. Welcome to the real world, kid.

The advice to close your mouth and open your ears was well intentioned and was some of the best advice you will ever get. If you happen to be thin skinned and can't handle a little spot correction here, I don't think we will be seeing you out at Camp Mackall. If the posts here offend you and you don't like it, feel free to leave and spend your time elsewhere. You will not be missed. Your alternatives if you stay here are to read much and post little, or talk a lot, get mad, and get sent packing. That is completely up to you.

I provided you with a list of places to go to get the info you were asking about, and cautioned you about asking further questions till you did. I put up a post only a week or two ago myself, giving someone else generic soldier advice for the wannabes, along with cautioning the Nervous Nellies about obsessing too much, too far ahead of time. I am not your enemy, but it does not appear to me that you have read it, or researched much in the interim. I recommend that you read this, go back to square one, do some research, and think before you ask your next question. You do as you think best, though.

Good luck and God Bless.
Outstanding post! If I had the time or inclination I would have written much the same, but not nearly so well. Thanks Reaper.
Old 31 October 2002, 04:53
Long time member

Outstanding Post, TR. Archiving it as we speak.
Old 31 October 2002, 20:35

Reaper
Your infinite patience is amazing. I personally have a low threshold for stupidity. I have seen these types of posts over and over and am amazed at how you can stay so eloquent. My response would have been:
Listen sugarpants, if Reaper hurt your feelings you will definately not like the SOF environment. Trying to G2 the course to make sure you pass? Think there is an easy way to "breeze" through the course? If you take it one step at a time you only have a few things to woory about.
1. If you follow the directions on how to prepare instead of how to get over, you will not make it.
2. If you make it to SFAS you only have to worry about getting hurt or your snivel bone acting up. The one thing SFAS can not teach is intestinal fortitude. That demon inside of you will tell you how bad it sucks and no one has it rougher than you. If you listen to the deamon, he will start giving good reasons why "they " won't let you pass and you can be one of the many who quits and says it wasn't tough or high speed enough for you.

Lets say you make it all the way through and get the tab, what does that mean? NOTHING. Now you are going to a team where everyone did the rite of passage. Sugarpants you are now at the HARD part of SF, earning the respect of your peers.
Think you are going to a team and set the world on fire? Every swinging Richard there has the same intention. Some of the highest praise I heard was "he is a good man" or I'd deploy with him. If you want to rest on your laurels after getting the tab it won't be long before nobody will havew anything to do with you. I knew absolute legends in the groups who were still slugging away. For all you wannabes who don't heed Reapers advice, you won't last long, its called failure to follow instructions.
Old 31 October 2002, 22:48
Special Forces
Visitor

Wannabes Read Before Asking

Given the lack of motivation by some of you to do any research, I have dragged this advice over from another thread.

You may find it helpful, whether you are headed to SFAS, the Navy, or even as a civilian. This is really all you need to know before you go to begin training.

At least have the courtesy to read this, and the great advice from Sharky a week or two ago about your status and conduct here.

Prepare yourself as best you can, focusing on being successful in the course that you are in, perhaps asking a question or two about the next course you have to complete.

Be a good soldier. Do everything that you are told to, when you are told to, to the best of your abilities without any whining or excessive griping. Never be the first to sit down, or the last to get up. Try not to get hurt. Help your buddies when you can. Try to maintain a positive attitude. Listen to your instructors, and follow instructions to the letter. Be a man of your word. Never let anyone down who might be counting on you. Do the right thing, even when you think no one is watching. Be as good a follower as you are a leader. Always do the best that you can, and never, ever quit.

You follow those suggestions and prepare yourself properly, and you don't have to worry about all of this other stuff.
Old 5 November 2002, 20:56
Confirmed User

And play America's Army: Operations!! It's teach you squad tactics, how to shoot an M16 rifle, SAW, etc., and the most important lesson of all: Officers are useless!:D
Old 5 November 2002, 22:23
Somewhere, Doing It

BDA= Battle Damage Assesment

Sorry, I am a combined Arms kinda guy.

Our new posting rules