SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 29 September 2016, 11:14
33,024 - R.I.P.

Ruger Precision Rifle (.308 & 6.5)

There are a couple of interweb articles out there on this model, but a brief socnet search did not garner any results. Any members have experience with the Ruger Precision in either .308 and/or 6.5?

The only issues I'm seeing is the hand guard flex and the plastic bolt shroud sticking (occasionally). However, the reviews are saying decent grouping at standard distances.
Old 29 September 2016, 12:28
Anesthetized User

I do not have experience with this rifle.

But I do have experience with both the .308 and the 6.5MM Creedmoor and have loaded for the .308 and currently do handload for the Creedmoor. Take a look at the reloading thread for info, let me know if I can help. Echo5Mike, and Chesie are FAR more knowledgeable than I though.

What would you like to see performance wise from the above cartridges? Uses?

It don't come easy.--Ringo Starr

"And all that remains is the faces and the names of the wives and the sons and the daughters."--Gordon Lightfoot.
Old 29 September 2016, 12:52
Confirmed User

I have the Generation 1 RPR in 6.5 Creedmoor. I love it for paper punching.

First off, there is a lot of BS out about one generation being better than the other. The differences are these three things.

1) The handguard on the Gen 1 has a rail on the top. Gen 2 has no rail on the handguard. This caused no scope clearance issues for me, so no issue in my book. You can easily swap handguards if you want something different.

2) The bolt shroud on the Gen 1 is plastic. Gen 2 is aluminum. The plastic shroud is bullshit. I replaced mine with a titanium one from Anarchy Outdoors. Linkhttp://www.anarchyoutdoors.com/ruger...oud-hd-w-tool/ The new shroud fits well and actually smooths the action quite a bit.

3) First generation comes with a threaded barrel with thread protector. Gen 2 comes with a muzzle brake. I put on a brake of my choosing.

The rifle is my first non-sporter type of rifle, and I really enjoy the custom fit feel. It shoots well, though I haven't had time to stretch its legs, many people are using this platform as an entry level 1000 yard gun for F class matches.

The safety is AR style, but with a 45 degree throw rather than the full 90.

It is compatible with AR-10 magazines.

I opted for the 6.5, because I didn't feel the need for a 5th .308, and because I was intrigued by the ballistic claims being made by long range shooters about it. I am sold on this caliber for a fun to shoot short action round that will still produce enough energy for hunting if you choose to lug such a boat anchor around in the field.
Old 29 September 2016, 13:53
33,024 - R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverescue View Post
Your post
This is the exact feedback I was looking for. Thank you.
Old 29 September 2016, 17:15
Confirmed User

I geek out on specifics, and did a lot of research. I did some asking around here about optics as well. I went with a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50. Ring height was about perfect for objective clearance on the rail with a Vortex Defender scope cap at 1.5" or the Nightforce Extra High 30mm rings.

If you have any questions, let me know, I'm glad to help.

FYI, you may hear the Gen 2 referred to as "enhanced" same-same

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...ecision-rifle/

Last edited by diverescue; 29 September 2016 at 17:33. Reason: added link
Old 21 December 2016, 17:31
33,024 - R.I.P.

I picked one up from a reputable dealer on GunBroker a couple of weeks ago. Not even one round through it yet, and this....the trigger housing broke at the safety sear. Not sure what happened. Could have been a small crack that was not caught by Ruger QC. The safety cycled a couple of times, then went "free". At least Ruger gave me an RMA, shipping label and warranty rework.

Old 21 December 2016, 19:32
Confirmed User

Holy cow! That's the first I have seen or heard about that. That is a catastrophic failure!

On an unrelated note, Timney makes a drop in trigger for the RPR.

http://www.timneytriggers.com/news/2...ecision-rifle/
Old 21 December 2016, 21:54
I reckon so. . .

subscribed.

I'll be very interested in how this plays out for you JAFO. Please Keep us updated.
Old 22 December 2016, 09:51
33,024 - R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverescue View Post
On an unrelated note, Timney makes a drop in trigger for the RPR.

http://www.timneytriggers.com/news/2...ecision-rifle/
That Timney trigger is a thing of beauty!

Quote:
"The pull weight is factory calibrated for a half-pound first stage and a one-pound second stage. The first stage is user adjustable from ˝ pound to one pound and the second stage is user adjustable from ˝ pound to two pounds."
This means if you even breath on the trigger it goes bang.
Old 22 December 2016, 14:31
Authorized Personnel

I have a hard time putting the word Ruger and precision next to each other. I guess the single shot rifles are things of beauty, but the pistols - not so much.

CG
Old 13 January 2017, 08:27
Freelancer

Any update JAFO?
Old 18 January 2017, 14:24
33,024 - R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Any update JAFO?
The RPR is back in baby's arms. Ruger replaced the trigger group, and sent the test targets showing 1/2" MOA groups. So, with that I'm happy. They did not, however, provide any causal analysis for the fracture.

I have yet to put any glass on it since getting her back. Still shopping. Looking at the new Vortex PST Gen 2, 6-24x50 with FFP.
Old 18 January 2017, 17:06
Confirmed User

Glad to hear that Ruger made it right by you. I belong to a couple of RPR groups and forums, and yours is the first failure like that I have heard of. Almost all of the other "failures" have people disassembling their bolts and not knowing how to put them back together.

I didn't see if you opted for the 6.5 or .308, which did you pick?

I got some 130 gr match loads for the 6.5 from Prime Ammo, and have had really good luck with it. I don't know what it is that makes banging steel at 1000 yards so cool, but this thing does it with ease.
Old 19 January 2017, 11:55
Freelancer

Nice to see Ruger backs their product.
Old 19 January 2017, 14:33
Hard to Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crucible guy View Post
I have a hard time putting the word Ruger and precision next to each other. I guess the single shot rifles are things of beauty, but the pistols - not so much.

CG
Have you ever shot a Red Hawk in 44 mag with a 7" barrel?
Old 19 January 2017, 18:52
Never to old to learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
Have you ever shot a Red Hawk in 44 mag with a 7" barrel?
All I can say is hand on with both hands tight an pray
Old 27 January 2017, 20:53

I have a RPR in 6.5 Creedmoor adorned with a Bushnell 3.5-21x50 MIL/MIL with the Horus H59 reticle. I running Prime 130g though it for now as I was stockpiling while awaiting delivery of said rifle :) It shoots very well for a factory gun I'd say. I was getting just under 1" groups at 100m in 15-20mph crosswinds the other day. I can't wait to do my load development ladder test to real wring in the accuracy.

I really enjoy the rifle as it operates smoothly for a factory riffle. I go up to the Mojave desert north of Victorville,CA regularly to shoot 1000m+. if there's anyone interested in a desert shooting extravaganza, I'm always up for it.
Old 27 January 2017, 21:06
Freelancer

How is 6.5 CM for hunting? Decent power etc? Or is it more for long range competition?
Very intrigued by this round.
Old 28 January 2017, 00:05

The 6.5mm round has been used for years in Europe for hunting (6.5x55 swede). At distance, it bucks the wind better so it has less drift, and the higher ballistic coefficients enable it to have more energy than 308/7.62 NATO. Obviously shot placement is key as usual for a quick, and humane kill for hunting: as is bullet type, weight, etc. I do plan on using my 6.5 for some pigs/boars here in California later this year with the required lead-free ammo (Barnes 120g TTSX)
Old 28 January 2017, 00:15

GPC,

To qualify my statement about the 6.5: at 450 yards, the 130g Prime still retains about 1370 lbs of energy at 2178 fps according to my ballistic calculator (Strelok Pro)

Our new posting rules